• The KillerFrogs

Is Kendal Briles a serious candidate?

Dogfrog

For the "I will no longer support the program over this hire" folks: it seems none of that existed with Kaz and Buckles last season, so what's the big difference here? Kaz, especially, was an integral part of Art's program in Waco and everyone seems to love that hire, so how does this differ so much?
Based on the deep commentary here, his name is not Briles and he is a really, really good S&C coach.

Frogfam4

All the people who will get rid of their season ticket and not support. Get ready to save some money. I for one will still be a die hard and be at every game I can.

Sources: TCU expected to hire Arkansas' Kendal Briles as offensive coordinator​

Outback Frog

For the "I will no longer support the program over this hire" folks: it seems none of that existed with Kaz and Buckles last season, so what's the big difference here? Kaz, especially, was an integral part of Art's program in Waco and everyone seems to love that hire, so how does this differ so much?
Huge difference. All you have to do is read up on the investigative findings and eyewitness accounts. Kaz's role in the mess was not even close to being on the same level as Little Briles. Read the book Violated, which is a pretty definitive account of the whole fiasco, and you will have no doubt.

hometown frog

There were several long threads here when Kaz’s name was surfaced coming over debating just that. Many of us did not feel that it was a wise hiring without some dedicated public discussions by TCU or the AD (none of which happened here.). So in basic aspects, there’s a common reaction on KFC. Albeit I think it’s more passionate concern now w KB due to his last name and some of the very specific allegations tied to KB in reporting at the time.

I’m really torn by this hire. I honestly don’t know what I will do for next season if he’s on the sidelines. At this point I’m leaning towards not attending any football games in person. I can’t wrap my simple brain about accepting anything close to what the Baylor culture was back then. I just can’t.

TCURiggs

I never heard either of their names as being involved in the cover up. I remember seeing Fart’s name, the operations guy and then some other at hand school staff in aftermath cover up.

I'm pretty certain Kaz's name was brought up throughout all of that mess, or at least "the Strength & Conditioning Coach." I remember an anecdote or two about him.

Guess my point is, unless you think it was just Art and Kendal that were responsible for everything, and Kaz, Buckles and every other staff member just had no clue about any of it, the sanctimony with this particular hire seems a little much. One of Art's main guys helped get us to the national championship game last week, yet we heard VERY little complaining about him being on-board.

froginmn

I'm not at all in that camp, but don't love the hire. My biggest concern is that the staff at Baylor showed poor judgement in bringing in guys of questionable character (Oakman and particularly Ukwuachu), and in seeming to allow bad actors to continue in the program without severe discipline for severe wrongdoing.

I would think that Kendal had more capability/voice in that type of decision than the S&C coach. I also don't like the poor judgement exhibited in writing CAB on his hands after Art was kicked to the curb. I'd rather see him make a statement that he regrets the harm that came to a lot of women at Baylor and he regrets being involved with a program where that occurred.

I want coaches who will be fair but firm in dealing with potential wrongdoing because the absence of that can result in lots of different outputs that are very bad for the school's reputation, program success, and outcomes for both athletes and all students.

Mean Purple

I'm pretty certain Kaz's name was brought up throughout all of that mess, or at least "the Strength & Conditioning Coach." I remember an anecdote or two about him.

Guess my point is, unless you think it was just Art and Kendal that were responsible for everything, and Kaz, Buckles and every other staff member just had no clue about any of it, the sanctimony with this particular hire seems a little much. One of Art's main guys helped get us to the national championship game last week, yet we heard VERY little complaining about him being on-board.
If they hire Briles, the BUtt hurt will be off the charts in Waco. We already live rent free in their heads because of Patterson. This will put them in the funny farm.

HFrog1999

I didn’t like the Kaz hire, I stated my opinion (which doesn’t really matter) and then shut up about it.

I don’t like Briles because I don't like him. I didn't like his dad when he coached at Stephenville because I think he ran a dirty program. I also think that he and his dad ran a dirty program at Baylor. That's just my opinion, I have no evidence or personal knowledge of the situation.

In the end, TCU will do whatever they want to do. I'm not currently a season ticket holder and probably won't be for several years. So my opinion is really irrelevant and I'll still cheer for the program.

Pharm Frog

People are hypocrites. I just want the best candidate to get the job. I will always support the team no matter WHO is hired. Supporting the TEAM (our student athletes) I will always do.
Perhaps you don’t consider the coaches to be a part of the team. As for “student-athletes”….well that ship sailed away. You can more accurately describe them as free agent development athletes. As for me, there are a number of coaches that, if hired, I could not and would not support their program. But to each their own.

Rifframbahzoo20

Devil’s advocate: regarding the CAB. Thing

IF tapefingers really didn’t know what his dad covered up, and was wearing the CAB in support of his dad (which is natural for family to react that way in many situations) or part of the “we are being attacked” feeling among bu nation, would it be different then? Granted, probably should still “read the room” better. But judgement gets clouded in trauma.

Not making excuses. Just food for thought. (I still want a different OC. ).
By that point the whole story was national news and one of the biggest stories in college football. I don’t see how Kendal briles could possibly not know.

Rifframbahzoo20

I was against the kaz hire but MAYBE he didn’t know (I doubt it). I don’t see how his own son didn’t know what was going on.

LisaLT

Perhaps you don’t consider the coaches to be a part of the team. As for “student-athletes”….well that ship sailed away. You can more accurately describe them as free agent development athletes. As for me, there are a number of coaches that, if hired, I could not and would not support their program. But to each their own.
As a former athlete, I have a different perspective than most. The kids that go out and play hard week in and week out deserve our support. To say "I'll never watch another game again" if a coach/assistant gets hired that doesn't meet my approval (for whatever reason) I probably would have stopped watching 20 plus years ago. Seems a bit childish.

Mean Purple

As a former athlete, I have a different perspective than most. The kids that go out and play hard week in and week out deserve our support. To say "I'll never watch another game again" if a coach/assistant gets hired that doesn't meet my approval (for whatever reason) I probably would have stopped watching 20 plus years ago. Seems a bit childish.
True.