• The KillerFrogs

Way too early 2023 Top 25s

peacock

Sports Illustrated-Pat Forde

9-TCU
There are many reasons to believe the Horned Frogs will have staying power as a top-10 program and Playoff contender, starting with the wealth of talent from the Dallas–Fort Worth area—both high school players and collegians interested in transferring back closer to home. 2023 will be a bit of a reset with Heisman finalist Max Duggan and likely first-round wide receiver Quentin Johnston gone to the NFL, among others. But Sonny Dykes and offensive coordinator Garrett Riley thought highly enough of QB Chandler Morris to start him over Duggan at the beginning of the season, so if he can at all approximate Duggan’s ’22 season, the Frogs will again be potent offensively. Big-picture question: Can a program that was 9–1 in games decided by 10 points or fewer (heading into the title game) replicate that crunch-time poise—and good fortune?
----------------------------------------------------------
Fox Sports-RJ Young

8-TCU
Sonny Dykes succeeded in keeping his coordinators, and he still has what he thought was the best quarterback on campus — Chandler Morris — returning to help run the Frogs back to the CFP.
-----------------------------------------------------------
CBS Dennis Dodd

6-TCU
Chandler Morris takes over at QB following an inspiring playoff run led by Max Duggan. The likely loss of leading receiver Quentin Johnston to the NFL Draft will hurt but the receiver room is deep. Defensive coordinator Joe Gillespie was sneaky good with a scheme (3-3-5) that is the sum of its parts. In the first year of the new Big 12, look for the Horned Frogs to have a legitimate chance at repeating.
ESPN Mark Schlabach

14-TCU
The Horned Frogs struck paydirt in hiring former SMU coach Sonny Dykes, as he led them to a 12-0 record in the regular season and an unexpected trip to the CFP after starting the season unranked. Maintaining that success isn't going to be easy. With some key additions through the transfer portal, however, TCU should remain a Big 12 title contender. Duggan is gone after a storybook senior season. Chandler Morris, who opened the 2022 season as the starter, is in line to replace him, although Dykes said he might add another passer from the transfer portal. Miller, the leading rusher, and Johnson, the top receiver, are also probably entering the NFL draft. TCU's nonconference schedule in 2023 includes home games against Colorado, FCS program Nicholls and SMU.
247 Sports Brad Crawford

15-TCU
With Max Duggan announcing his plan to enter the NFL Draft last month prior to Monday night's national championship game, TCU must replace its most important player off this season's head-turning squad. Horned Frogs wideout Quentin Johnston is expected to leave too, but the program has signed Alabama pass-catcher JoJo Earle among others in the portal to help off-set personnel losses. This should be a team predicted to finish near the top of the Big 12 this time around after being overlooked prior to the 2022 campaign.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Athlon-Steven Lassan

15-TCU
The Horned Frogs lose a good chunk of talent from the ’22 roster, but after the unexpected run to the national championship, don’t count out coach Sonny Dykes’ squad from a quick reload and a return to Big 12 title contention. Chandler Morris edged Max Duggan for the starting job before an injury in the season opener and should return to the starting quarterback job. NFL decisions by running back Kendre Miller, receiver Quentin Johnston and a few others with extra eligibility remaining loom large this offseason. Similar to the offense, the defense has a couple of key players who have decisions to make on the next level, but the guess here is coordinator Joseph Gillespie will once again find the right pieces.
--------------------------------------------------------------
The Sporting News-Bill Bender

8-TCU
TCU made the CFP championship game in Sonny Dykes' first season, but several key pieces will be gone. Max Duggan is gone, and Kendre Miller and Quentin Johnston have NFL Draft decisions to make. Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson also might be NFL-bound. That said, Dykes proved he can work the transfer portal (he has three players from Alabama headed to Forth Worth already) and the offense has a system that can welcome new pieces. Will TCU lead another charmed season? The opener against Colorado and first-year coach Deion Sanders will be a visible first test.
Yahoo Sports-Sam Cooper

15-TCU
Will TCU’s magic carry over to 2023? It’s hard to replicate such a fantastic run from one season to the next, especially with stars like Max Duggan and Quentin Johnston moving on to the NFL. Even if the Horned Frogs aren’t national title contenders, Sonny Dykes’ team should still be one of the best in the Big 12. Chandler Morris won the starting quarterback job out of camp but got hurt in Week 1, opening the door for Duggan. Morris should be the guy in 2023, and he’s shown a lot of potential whenever he’s seen the field. On defense, there are quite a few important players with impending NFL draft decisions. If some of those guys come back, TCU’s defense could be even better in Year 2 of playing in Joe Gillespie’s 3-3-5 system.
-------------------------------------------------------------
PFF-Max Chadwick

13-TCU
Yes, the Horned Frogs are losing key players from this year’s Cinderella team, namely quarterback Max Duggan and wide receiver Quentin Johnston, but do you really want to doubt Sonny Dykes again?
USA Today-Paul Myerberg

16-TCU
Despite this year's magical run to the championship game, TCU still has some work to do rebuilding a roster that should undergo another overhaul heading into Sonny Dykes' second season. But there shouldn't be any major issues at quarterback: Max Duggan will be missed but Chandler Morris is ready to resume the starting job. One of the biggest questions in all of college football this offseason asks how the Frogs respond to getting every opponent's best shot after spending most of this year under the radar.
LA Times-Brady McCullough

12-TCU
What to do with Texas Christian? This was one of the toughest questions when grappling with 2023. One one hand, we want to honor what the Horned Frogs accomplished this season, and there’s no doubt coach Sonny Dykes is going to build a lot of momentum going forward. But on the other hand, quarterback Max Duggan is off to the NFL and so are a host of other key contributors such as wide receiver Quentin Johnston. TCU will need to have a second consecutive masterful usage of the portal to be a top-five team again. But top 15? That seems reasonable.

Eight

thanks, the top 10 rankings based upon what is known seems to me to be too high with what the frogs are replacing wo much idea how who the replacements will be

Endless Purple

I think one of the biggest considerations for next year, should be realizing that this was the first year with a new offense and defensive system. Players will be different in some spots, but I think havign the first year experience will help with continuity as opposed to shear force of will to win games.

Frogs1983

I think one of the biggest considerations for next year, should be realizing that this was the first year with a new offense and defensive system. Players will be different in some spots, but I think havign the first year experience will help with continuity as opposed to shear force of will to win games.
Pretty sure if Frogs ever get back to Championship Game again, Dykes and Staff will do some things differently than this past week. A learning experience for all involved.

Mean Purple

Pretty sure if Frogs ever get back to Championship Game again, Dykes and Staff will do some things differently than this past week. A learning experience for all involved.
I would bet they would handle practice differently. There were a couple of days where it was development of younger players. While for Smart et. al., it was way more focused on 1s and 2s game plan and execution.

LVH

The general consensus seems to be we are still the team to beat in the Big 12 in 2023. Just hope we can handle preseason expectations to win the Big 12 unlike Baylor.

It comes down to schedule. We get to avoid 4 Big 12 teams next year, and who those 4 are will be important. Fine by me if we don't play OU or OSU next year.

Road games at Texas Tech and Houston / Home games against Texas and Baylor are 4 known games, the other 5 are a mystery. Would be nice for the other 5 to be BYU, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas, and West Virginia.

Cougar/Frog

The general consensus seems to be we are still the team to beat in the Big 12 in 2023. Just hope we can handle preseason expectations to win the Big 12 unlike Baylor.

It comes down to schedule. We get to avoid 4 Big 12 teams next year, and who those 4 are will be important. Fine by me if we don't play OU or OSU next year.

Road games at Texas Tech and Houston / Home games against Texas and Baylor are 4 known games, the other 5 are a mystery. Would be nice for the other 5 to be BYU, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas, and West Virginia.
This. Schedule will be important. If the Frogs miss Texas and K St, it will be nice. Those 2 should be top 4 teams in the B12 next year.

Eight

Any idea when the BIG 12 schedule will come out? Are there going to be divisions or does everyone play 9 games randomly.

think the hold up is whether or not texas and ou depart for their new home in the sec though it is rumored during the game the phrase "oh hell no" was heard to be uttered more than a few times

Wexahu

This. Schedule will be important. If the Frogs miss Texas and K St, it will be nice. Those 2 should be top 4 teams in the B12 next year.
K-State loses a ton of starters, I think something like 14. They might be next year's Iowa State. Or maybe they have a bunch of new guys coming in, I don't know. They will have a decent QB I guess.

I think the conference will be totally up for grabs for the most part.

Cougar/Frog

K-State loses a ton of starters, I think something like 14. They might be next year's Iowa State. Or maybe they have a bunch of new guys coming in, I don't know. They will have a decent QB I guess.

I think the conference will be totally up for grabs for the most part.
Howard is good. I expect K St to be a tough opponent.

KTown Frog

When I read this I think of the ‘10 Fiesta vs. ‘11 Rose Bowl and how the dynamic and focus changed leading up to the rose bowl vs how the team prepared in the fiesta. I’m sure other factors played into both but many of the players talked about the business trip of the rose bowl vs the excited, laid back fiesta.

Would be awesome to replicate a back to back CFP appearance and should we find lightning in the bottle, a lot of us would be in driving distance to Houston for the natty.

Last edited: