• The KillerFrogs

College Admissions

Outback Frog

Transferring to TCU is not a bad way to go, although they limit the number of transfers. My daughter had a high GPA in HS, had an incredible resume with all of the things she was involved in, but got rejected primarily because of her ACT. She went to UT Permian Basin and had good grades to the point where she actually was awarded a scholarship for her transferring GPA, in being admitted to TCU. She transferred in as a sophomore, went through Rush and became a Pi Phi. Don't give up!

Last edited:

TCUdirtbag

His GPA was over 4.0 on a 4.4 scale and ACT of 31. He took as many honors classes as he could. Active in varsity sports, student body government, etc.

I had similar numbers when I applied to TCU years ago and had almost a full ride. I’m hearing southern schools in general have gotten really competitive.

Also interesting that roughly only 30% of applicants submit standardized test scores. That likely helps increase diversity, but hurts those with strong scores.
Pretty shocking to have those metrics and not get in with relative ease - especially as a male at a 38/62 male/female school. (Though I have no idea what a “4.4 scale” is.)

Likely good odds of getting in. Admissions counselor contact/face to face meeting would likely go a very long way. Wonder if the deferral resulted from a late letter of recommendation or something like that? Perhaps a missing document or late transcript? A generic essay could be to blame, maybe? TCU notoriously looks beyond metrics. This adds to my advice to meet with the admissions counselor if possible and get a little deeper / more sincere.

Good luck!

TCUdirtbag

He might also be in play for Deans or even Chancellors Scholarships so that might be why they listed his app as ‘deferred’ for now

I would clarify those were never Chancellor’s Scholarship (full ride) metrics in the past 20 years. Maybe in the Dean’s Scholarship (half ride) ballpark 12-15 years ago (I don’t understand the 4.0 on a 4.4 GPA scale, but that 31 ACT would’ve been for sure).

But I have no clue where those metrics land in 2022. Can’t imagine it’s gotten easier or remained flat. But from what you’ve posted I would’ve guessed slam dunk admission and in-contention for academic scholarship consideration (1/8 to 1/4 ride).

It’s possible applicant numbers are through the roof and they’re just deferring a bunch. The yield among males in particular is likely to be a little higher this year, so determining the number of students to admit is harder.

Last edited:

ticketfrog123

Seems that excellent ACT score (combined with the GPA) should have him in at half price. Something might be amiss and maybe you should inquire. By making them explain maybe they will reconsider acceptance and scholarship.

But I have no knowledge in this so best follow dirtbag’s advice.
Agree - most students I know at TCU with that profile were Dean’s scholarship and accepted early

The ACT is top 75% or 85% for a typical class. Maybe the HS courses are not competitive / honors + AP level?

ticketfrog123

I would clarify those were never Chancellor’s Scholarship (full ride) metrics in the past 20 years. Maybe in the Dean’s Scholarship (half ride) ballpark 12-15 years ago (I don’t understand the 4.0 on a 4.4 GPA scale, but that 31 ACT would’ve been for sure).

But I have no clue where those metrics land in 2022. Can’t imagine it’s gotten easier or remained flat. But from what you’ve posted I would’ve guessed slam dunk admission and in-contention for academic scholarship consideration (1/8 to 1/4 ride).

It’s possible applicant numbers are through the roof and they’re just deferring a bunch. The yield among males in particular is likely to be a little higher this year, so determining the number of students to admit is harder.
This isn’t true. I knew plenty of chancellors scholars with 31-32 ACT scores in the recent decade that came from podunk HS as valedictorian (and struggled at TCU bc their HS was a joke)

TCU has gotten easier for admission post Covid given financial impact to families and lower ACT scores with the new admissions dean (scores and acceptance rates moved wrong direction and closer to Baylor)

ticketfrog123

Honestly, sad for your kid if this kills a dream, but happy overall... I want TCU's academic rigor to continue to grow/climb. My dream "comp" for TCU is something like Notre Dame, Stanford, etc. etc... Top flight academics and strong/competitive athletics.
Don’t get your hopes up - we’re not getting there anytime soon if we keep accepting mediocre students from California who can pay full ride to chase “revenue”

Eight

the 4.4 is a weighted scale that tries to differentiate between a regular senior english class from an "honors" class from a dual credit class to an ap class

don't recall the numerical breakdown but straight gpa isn't always indicative of academic achievement and kids know how to play the game to maximize their gpa by selecting a combination of "honors", dual credit, and ap classes

our daughter had just under a 4.0 gpa and wasn't in the top 10 percent of her graduating class of ~850.

she made the decision to maximize the college credits she could pickup by taking dual credits and ap classes versus the gpa game

Last edited:

texasrobster1997

Agree - most students I know at TCU with that profile were Dean’s scholarship and accepted early

The ACT is top 75% or 85% for a typical class. Maybe the HS courses are not competitive / honors + AP level?
Our school offers up to four AP/Honors classes. He generally took the higher level for science, math, and English each year so 3/4 of the honors classes. He will have other options so life goes on. Like other posters said, I’m glad for TCU, but surprised.

MAcFroggy

Yeah, I had around a 3.9 weighted GPA on a 4.0 scale with a 31 ACT in the mid 2000s. I was on the Dean's scholarship.

However, according to the TCU scholarship website the Dean scholarship is now more along the lines of 3.97-4.0 GPA with a 34 ACT/1500 SAT.

Outback Frog

Don’t get your hopes up - we’re not getting there anytime soon if we keep accepting mediocre students from California who can pay full ride to chase “revenue”
Pretty sure that's not the case for Cali interest in TCU. Outside of USC and Stanford (elite academic profiles), the other private universities in Cali have really good academic profiles, except they are not FBS type schools. TCU has had a very high profile in that state because of LT's success (and civic contributions in San Diego) with the Chargers, and of course, the Rose Bowl victory. California kids also go to Baylor and SMU, and it's not exclusively because they are just a bunch of rich kids from Rancho Santa Fe, Palos Verdes Estates, Huntington Beach, etc....

Practically every college needs a % of their kids to be payers, that's just the economics. The work being done on the endowment right now is critical to making this less and less of a focus.