• The KillerFrogs

What we get with UH

Eight

Wonder why they would pick TCU. Out of the Texas schools, TCU is the one with the least amount of rivalry potential.

they have had this belief for quite some time that they could have easily been in the position of tcu had a few things worked out differently

heck, i know uh people who still openly believe they are going to be another miami and i am not not referring to an average football program in a city surrounded by talent

finally, scheiss joseph duarte

OICU812

What's UH's stadium like?
An absolute dump, unless they built a new one Back when they joined the SWC, they played their home games in the dome because Jeppeson was so bad.
Went to one of those all-day hard rock shows there back in about 1980- Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath, 3 or 4 others. Was like a high school stadium. Watched a guy face plant from a concrete beam to the asphalt about 60 feet below. Not pretty.

Where is UH ranked in the US News and World Report university academics.

(1) not saying I think UH was some brilliant/obvious addition, but:

(2) Tech’s ranking is #217 and Houston’s is #176 (UH is also above #241 WVU and #187 OK State, and nipping at the heels of #170 K-State). UH’s trajectory has been to climb the rankings while Tech has stagnated,

(3) UH is out-researching Texas Tech (about $201 M in 2020 compared to about $191 M). Both are increasing their spending, but UH is doing so at a faster rate and bringing in researchers with their city vs Lubbock appeal and a plan to reach AAU status. And

(4) UH is out-enrolling Texas Tech 47,000 to 40,000. If you break down the numbers, UH has 29,000 full-time undergrads vs. the same number at Tech. UH is awarding about 10,500 degrees per year vs. about 9,000 at Tech. The “commuter school” gap is shrinking as Texas/Houston grow and UH’s student body changes. The only gap in these numbers that clearly favors Tech is the on-campus student population: 24% at Tech vs. 17% at UH.

None of this erases the recent history of UH as a mediocre commuter school that struggles to get the attention of its own city. That’s certainly their history and reputation in the general population. This IS to say that one school generally just keeps trudging along (benefiting from population growth but not doing much else) while the other is diligently reinventing itself. It will be tough to break those old narratives with older generations of Texans. But Houston is growing insanely fast—and that’s not expected to slow down. UH is aggressively pursuing AAU status, higher rankings, more traditional on-campus experiences, etc. So all this is to say they have a lot of momentum and “a less educated Texas Tech” is now inaccurate and “with fewer fans” may not be accurate for long.

TCUdirtbag

An absolute dump, unless they built a new one Back when they joined the SWC, they played their home games in the dome because Jeppeson was so bad.
Went to one of those all-day hard rock shows there back in about 1980- Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath, 3 or 4 others. Was like a high school stadium. Watched a guy face plant from a concrete beam to the asphalt about 60 feet below. Not pretty.

Posts like these are what you get when you speak out of ignorance. Google is your friend Jethro.

TDECU should have been built like Hard Rock stadium’s renovation; with a broad shade canopy. It is not wise to build a new P5 stadium in Texas without one. A missed opportunity building from scratch, but that might be something easy enough for UH to add to TDECU. They are in the Big 12 now so games aren’t at night in September. ESPN and Fox dictate day games for their TV dollars with no consideration of Texas heat.

Houston struggles with attendance, so a canopy would be a big plus for UH and it has the byproducts of increasing crowd noise and creating a more intimate feel; Hard Rock has noted both improvements. Sun and its heat is prohibitively uncomfortable, especially when you can watch on TV or a bar. Add in that people are drinking, so that their bodies don't deal with heat as well as the alcohol messes with that regulatory system.

Friday night high school games would not be as popular if they were scheduled for Saturday afternoons.

CF1DAF38-6D0B-4A62-A5A2-DDC01C9F1C40.jpeg6D53623E-C9C3-48B1-94BF-CE4AB090FD11.jpeg

Last edited:

Eight

you do realize that was 40 years ago

Gringo1873

I would very much have preferred that we added Rice, one of the greatest universities in the country. Houston is an embarrassment to the conference.

Eight

TDECU should have been built like Hard Rock stadium’s renovation; with a broad shade canopy. It is ridiculous to build a P5 stadium in Texas without one. That might be something easy enough for them to add. They are in the Big 12 now so games aren’t at night in September. ESPN and Fox dictate day games for their TV dollars with no consideration of Texas heat.

TCU and Houston both struggle with attendance, so this would be a big plus for UH. A canopy has the byproducts of increasing crowd noise and a more intimate feel; Hard Rock has noted both improvements. Heat is a huge factor; it is miserably uncomfortable, especially when you can watch on TV or a bar. Add in that people are drinking, so that their bodies don't deal with heat as well as the alcohol messes with that regulatory system.

Friday night high school games would not be as popular if they were scheduled for Saturday afternoons.

just checking, but you are saying tcu was ridiculous by building a p5 stadium in texas without a canopy and now that i think about no team in the big 12 has canopies and one of the few stadiums i can think of with them is udub for the rain

eh0215

there are high schools in houston that draw bigger crowds than rice and get more attention by the media
I was at Shadow Creek vs Manvel this past Friday. The attendance was insane. SRO, and cars were still trying to get into the parking lots at 8:30pm. The cops had blocked it all off as overcapacity. Rerouted hundreds of cars to the highway and back home.

Ron Swanson

I don’t like UH, but as a Houstonian I’ve been watching them and they are getting stronger as a university. Not many people have gone there in the past because they wanted to go to UH, it was just a school of convenience (good location, cheap and fairly solid education), but it is improving on that front. It’s still not a huge destination school, but it’s getting better in that regard with all the improvements, which will help with their school pride/fandom.

I do think they were a smart choice for the Big 12 in the long run.

I don’t like UH, but as a Houstonian I’ve been watching them and they are getting stronger as a university. Not many people have gone there in the past because they wanted to go to UH, it was just a school of convenience (good location, cheap and fairly solid education), but it is improving on that front. It’s still not a huge destination school, but it’s getting better in that regard with all the improvements, which will help with their school pride/fandom.

I do think they were a smart choice for the Big 12 in the long run.
I keep telling myself this, but I have concern about their Big 12 attendance at the stadium and in front of the TV. We will soon find out. Holgy needs to win, just not versus the Horned Frogs

Rabidfrog

I remember reading that from 2000 to 2010, the population of Houston doubled. From 2010 to 2015, it grew as much again. Infrastructure cannot keep up with that pace, thus the crowding of freeways, water, sewer, housing, food, fuel electricity, etc.

When I finally drove off and left that place in my rearview, it was with a certain amount of sadness for the place I once knew, but was now forever gone.
yep, in the 60s if you knew Fannin, Main, Gulf frwy, and OST, and SW Frwy, you pretty well had it down.

Endless Purple

just checking, but you are saying tcu was ridiculous by building a p5 stadium in texas without a canopy and now that i think about no team in the big 12 has canopies and one of the few stadiums i can think of with them is udub for the rain
One has a seat that offers some shade. If they remember to put it down.

Endless Purple

they have had this belief for quite some time that they could have easily been in the position of tcu had a few things worked out differently

heck, i know uh people who still openly believe they are going to be another miami and i am not not referring to an average football program in a city surrounded by talent

finally, scheiss joseph duarte
If you read their forums, they are far more into Tech (public school) and Baylor (basketball) and of course UT being the devil. The TCU thing does not come up that much anymore.

edit - I may be thinking of this more from a UH person than TCU perspective.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Doesn’t the Waco toilet bowl have a partial canopy?