• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion

ESPN is scrambling to formulate and implement a plan to maximize future revenue of their PAC/ACC/SEC interests. A good deal is when everybody is happy, or a least the most important players, and the PAC and ACC need some fixing. ESPN may be telling the PAC teams to settle down, the Big 12 will still be there for them and ESPN at a later date, and, ESPN may be dictating as the only serious bidder to the Big 12 at that time anyway.

Last edited:

Limey Frog

but . . . what? For God's sake, this guy has ZERO credibility! :confused: He covers swimming . . . swimming!

Swimming is a pretty big deal lately. Do you even NPR, bro? Swimming has had some big *upgrades*

giphy.gif

Wexahu

That there is a likely scenario where the big 12 is at 20 teams, stretches coast to coast, and is the third power conference is amazing from a year ago. Fun to imagine.
In that scenario the west teams might literally never play the east teams in football, and maybe most other sports. That's a TV $ arrangement, not a conference. Basically two separate leagues as far as on the field competition.

asleep003

In that scenario the west teams might literally never play the east teams in football, and maybe most other sports. That's a TV $ arrangement, not a conference. Basically two separate leagues as far as on the field competition.
Yes .... when the BIG/SEC are finished, they will be at plus/minus 20 teams and will basically be 2 leagues each too.

We need to get our tv partners lined up and grab the top ACC teams before they go to SEC, or Big 10. East is better than West. I don’t want to have a conference in every time zone. ACC will dissolve and so will the GOR.

ESPN wouldn’t piss on the Big 12if we were on fire. It is an arms race to get the big brands! We aren’t racing. Clemson and the rest could make a ton of money and have an easier path to playoffs in Big 12 ACC big team conference. SEC and Big 10 are murderers row. More money less chance to make postseason.

Wexahu

We need to get our tv partners lined up and grab the top ACC teams before they go to SEC, or Big 10. East is better than West. I don’t want to have a conference in every time zone. ACC will dissolve and so will the GOR.

ESPN wouldn’t piss on the Big 12if we were on fire. It is an arms race to get the big brands! We aren’t racing. Clemson and the rest could make a ton of money and have an easier path to playoffs in Big 12 ACC big team conference. SEC and Big 10 are murderers row. More money less chance to make postseason.
What exactly makes the Big 10 "murderers row"?

But in all seriousness, remember about a decade ago when there was chatter about FSU, Miami, Clemson and GT going to the B12? That would have been the time to expand and maybe we would have avoided all this but I wholeheartedly believe that discussions with OUT, USCLA, SEC, ESPN, etc have been going on for over a decade and everyone has just been holding steady until the contracts expired.

TCU_91

@Gary's Shirtless Revenge I am curious what happen to "Relegation"? There is a lot of dead weight in both SEC/BIG with Vandy, SC, Mizzou, NW, Rutgers..etc.
Seems like if this great Revolution of the Big Two is really going to occur, they would be removing all these schools that really offer very little.

Can you shed some light on these areas?

Wexahu

Ohio State Michigan Michigan State Penn state now USC UCLA Iowa any team that plays just those teams would have 2 losses.
Not even on the same planet as Alabama/LSU/Texas A&M/Georgia/Florida/Texas/Oklahoma/Auburn/Ole Miss.

And if you want to say, what do you mean, Texas sucks, I'll say the same thing about USC, UCLA, Michigan State, and maybe Iowa too.