• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion

Limey Frog

Whoever Greg swaim is .. he’s saying that the four corners schools are announcing tomorrow they’re in the b12. So we’ll see

Greg Swaim is a Twitter account that reappears during any CFB realignment drama, claims to be 'in the know', cites 'sources', and "predicts" whatever seems currently possible as imminent. He bats about .050 and has been doing this exact routine since 2010.

Bizarro Frog

I am trying to figure out what a proposed ACC PAC 12 alliance would bring to the table. Are they going to have Oregon play Clemson, FL St and Miami every year? That seems like the only matchups that would generate extra interest.

Nick Danger

You're not super pumped about Oregon St vs Boston College? Or Cal vs Wake?
Especially the ones played on the West Coast that end up at 11:00 p.m. Eastern. By playing that late, you kinda kill the notoriety, so what's the point? The PAC-10's desperation is showing!

Last edited:

Wexahu

Oregon State vs Wake Forest will be a barn burner
LOL.

But I'll bring up something that kind of shows how insulated we are about our own programs and how we are such hypocrites. Wake Forest won the ACC Atlantic Division last year and went 11-3 (and OSU finished 7-6 and 3rd in the PAC North) and now we're making fun of how boring and uninteresting that game would be. You know why? Just because its Oregon State and Wake Forest, and not USC (who finished 4-8 last year) and Florida State (who was 5-7). I'm not disagreeing with you btw, I'm just pointing out that while we complain about blue-blood favoritism and all of college football revolving around the same top 10-15 teams every year, we contribute to it with this kind of attitude toward the OSU's and Wake's of the CF world.

Limey Frog

Yeah, I'd watch Oregon State-Wake, because I'll watch just about any college football. Until they destroy it and force TCU into the wilderness, them I'm giving up.

I think one advantage the Big XII may have right now is offering a known pathway that is available immediately, and also a lack of members who are realistically wondering about another, better possibility. The ACC/Pac 12 idea is vague and would involve moving a lot of other contracts--namely future OOC games. How much is it worth, and who will pay? Most importantly, the greatest part of the revenue from doing it will come from the inclusion of Oregon, UW, Clemson, FSU, and Miami, all of whom are at this point asking how they can eventually get out of their respective leagues. For the likes of ASU and Utah, Big XII membership may be the equivalent of choosing to bunt home a run rather than swing for the fences and risk stranding all your runners.

Nick Danger

Maybe ESPN believes an improved B12 is not in their interest?
This is a genuine question for anyone that would care to weigh in. All you hear about are ESPN and Fox, as media providers, but are CBS and NBC still involved in college sports? I remember CBS being a major player in the SEC several years back! Are ESPN and Fox the only two major players?

Zubaz

This is a genuine question for anyone that would care to weigh in. All you hear about are ESPN and Fox, as media providers, but are CBS and NBC still involved in college sports? I remember CBS being a major player in the SEC several years back! Are ESPN and Fox the only two major players?
CBS loses the SEC after the 2023 season. They are supposedly trying to replace that with another P5 league, but they aren't going to pay what ESPN paid for the SEC either.

NBC is Notre Dame. I believe that's exclusive, but could be wrong there.

Palliative Care

Our best move is to be patient.

It is true that complicated solutions are often the worst options. No matter how they come about cracks always form.

Once a school sees an opening to a willing group that makes things more simple, it is difficult to look away. Long time unions often fall apart as soon as the leading members are the first to leave. The B12 faced this last year and we almost cracked however we really had no willing group to take many of us at the same time. This is now different in that AS,A, Co and Utah have us to welcome them in. Given just a little time the desperate measures the PAC come up will look less and less attractive.

Hemingway

Maybe ESPN believes an improved B12 is not in their interest?
matthew bingo GIF

Eight

Our best move is to be patient.

It is true that complicated solutions are often the worst options. No matter how they come about cracks always form.

Once a school sees an opening to a willing group that makes things more simple, it is difficult to look away. Long time unions often fall apart as soon as the leading members are the first to leave. The B12 faced this last year and we almost cracked however we really had no willing group to take many of us at the same time. This is now different in that AS,A, Co and Utah have us to welcome them in. Given just a little time the desperate measures the PAC come up will look less and less attractive.

big key is that colorado and utah don't have long time ties to the pac. the az schools have been in the pac a bit over 40 years, but the other two just over a decade and both schools made the jumps before for economic stability

the west coast schools are having to deal with nostalgia and romantic idea over academics or athletics instead of realizing they are separate identities of the school

do agree that waiting a few weeks will give us a clearer perspective

Last edited:

Limey Frog

CBS loses the SEC after the 2023 season. They are supposedly trying to replace that with another P5 league, but they aren't going to pay what ESPN paid for the SEC either.

NBC is Notre Dame. I believe that's exclusive, but could be wrong there.

I think this could be another advantage for the Big XII, though we'll need to be shrewd because ESPN and FOX have a lot of power. But if we can get a good membership alignment, there could be a lot of bidders to play off against one another for that content -- AppleTV, Amazon, CBS, NBC. (Notre Dame will, I think, join the Big Ten as late as possible, but will do so rather than renew with NBC in 2025.)