• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

CL final coming up! Pulling for Liverpool only because of the EPL connection. Not a fan of either team.

Went ahead and changed this thread to 22/23 given the domestic league seasons are finished.
I'm pulling for Liverpool too mostly for the same reason. I don't have much reason to dislike Liverpool; I just don't actively support them. I do disdain Real Madrid so it's an easy call. I wish City hadn't made that late comeback Sunday so that this could be for a historic quadruple. Oh well; it's still going to be a big match.

dawg

Yep. Can’t pull for that mob in Madrid (except vs City. Lulz…). Plus, after Ramos dislocated Salah’s shoulder in the 2018 Final, Liverpool owe Madrid payback.

Purp

Aaronson to Leeds is official. I like that move a lot. It's a 5 year deal, though, so hopefully he can help them stay up. Otherwise he'd be better off at Salzburg/Leipzig.

Purp

Steffen is out for a while due to family reasons so Sean Johnson is replacing him. I think it's a mistake to not bring in Slonina. Johnson is almost twice as old as Slonina. Get him in the group and maybe even get him a cap or two. See if he's got what it takes to be the #1 right now. Berhalter really baffles me sometimes.

Purp

Nottingham Forest won in highly controversial fashion. You'll ready that 2 penalties in the 2nd half should have been called to give Huddersfield a chance to tie and take a lead. IMO, only one was a penalty, but even VAR didn't award it.

Also, Horvath played the last 10 minutes or so after the starting keeper for Forest took a knock and couldn't continue. Really happy for Forest.

hiphopfroggy

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

dawg

Nottingham Forest won in highly controversial fashion. You'll ready that 2 penalties in the 2nd half should have been called to give Huddersfield a chance to tie and take a lead. IMO, only one was a penalty, but even VAR didn't award it.

Also, Horvath played the last 10 minutes or so after the starting keeper for Forest took a knock and couldn't continue. Really happy for Forest.
And that is my issue with VAR. It is so inconsistently applied. The VAR official will miss things like this and then turn around and spend 10 minutes hyperanalyzing to disallow a goal because the striker's nosehair is offside.

Purp

And that is my issue with VAR. It is so inconsistently applied. The VAR official will miss things like this and then turn around and spend 10 minutes hyperanalyzing to disallow a goal because the striker's nosehair is offside.

I'm good with it bc I wanted Forest to win, but that should have been a penalty. The other one I don't think should have been a penalty but Taylor Twellman, in his infinite imbecility and hyperventilating way wouldn't get off of it. I agree about the VAR delays on offsides calls. If it's not completely obvious it shouldn't disallow a goal. But I think VAR is a net positive bc, while this was missed, it still corrects countless other egregious misses that can decide games.

Purp

Enjoyed that, but it was boring at times. I felt the back line had a few shaky moments, but Turner was fantastic.

Reggie Cannon was awful tonight. I love that guy, but it may have been as bad as I've ever seen him play.

Aaron Long was another who made a few really bad mistakes that nearly cost us. Maybe a lot of that is communicating with the other CB or wing back, but he was badly out of position a couple times and flat lost his man.

Carter-Vickers had one bad mistake, but otherwise was very solid. I'd like to see more of him next time with Zimm and less of Long.

Musah is damn impressive with the ball on his feet. But so is de la Torre. He's faster than you think, so solid and composed on the ball, and always in a good spot to contribute. I feel really good about him backing up McKennie where I previously felt that was a huge drop in quality to the backup.

Pulisic may be the worst American set piece taker I've ever seen. Unless it's on the penalty spot he should never take another one. His corner kick service consistently sailed everyone in the box. We used to dominate set pieces and corner kicks, but we've lost that and I think Pulisic serving most of those balls in is the problem.

Good to see Haji Wright get the PK goal, but he underwhelmed for me. He was always slower than the center back marking him. He had several break away chances on beautifully weighted through balls, but he could never get behind the defender to get a shot. I still want to see more, but I'm not sure he's what we need.

Aaronson is an endless source of energy. Kid is just relentless. Love watching him play.