• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Fan poll: Who should be TCU football’s starting quarterback next season?

Chico Dusty

Max has given his heart to the program and has some memorable moments and memorable games. However, he also has way more forgettable moments and misses wide open guys all the time. If we’re going to be a more "exciting" offense, I'd like to see Morris be the guy. Sam Jackson also impressed me a bit, though I would have liked to see him throw some more. He reminds me of Boykin. Boykin wasn't a steller QB, but he could throw it up and let Docston go find it.
Boykin wasn’t a stellar QB? He was one of the best QBs in the country for almost 2 years.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Boykin wasn't a steller QB
Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

McFroggin

Max has a new, and hopefully competent QB coach. He will attend the Manning Passing Camp very soon. I believe we will see a vastly improved game from him for this upcoming season.

I believe Max was very ill served by the previous Staff, and his development stunted by bad schemes and utilization. My hope is that he is rewarded for his patience and effort, and not tossed to the curb.
Max has started for how many years now? What has he been patient about?

Eight

The fact that we are having this debate with one of the QBs potentially being a 4-year starter here is pretty concerning.

He should either be 100% the starter by now or 100% not. This wishy-washy stuff is more of an indictment of his replacements.

Somebody needs to step up.

Look at what Aranda is doing at Baylor.

If Max isn’t going to start, just settle it now and let him transfer out to play somewhere else. He doesn’t owe us anything. It would be a shame for him to be a backup QB his senior season.

really doesn't matter to me if the fwst or the fanbase is having this debate. what matters is what is being communicated to the players at this position.

froggish and others have pointed out that the most desired traits for success by a quarterback in the dykes/riley offense are things that max has struggled with throughout his time at tcu. the strength of his game in terms of production has been his running the football and i don't recall dykes ever having an offense where the quarterback was the primary ball carrier in the run game

how much can he improve, how much does he need to improve to run this offense? that is up to riley and dykes and i have nothing wrong with them not making a decision. i also think the fact that morris hasn't been named the clear #1 an indictment of him. max has some tools he doesn't have and neither one was being coached by a position coach with a track record of teaching the position.

the kid at baylor was a one season starter and outside of the wvu game was very soso and the guy who beat him out was very, very productive in the games he played last season. a case could be made that shappen beat him out last season when you compare the production and that isn't clearly the case with morris and max

FWFrogFan

Duggan isn’t improving his accuracy / time to move on
I agree with this, accuracy is an issue - but the biggest issue is consistency. Lots of QBs show flashes of brilliance, but the big winners are consistent.

Under Gary, there's no doubt in my mind that Max would get the nod. Patterson seemed to be big "he's earned it" guy. I think the decision to go with Alex Delton in 2019 best exemplifies this. Gary would say he's a leader, he works the hardest - but I never thought he was the best choice for QB.

In some ways I would agree that Max has earned it. There have been times where the put the team on his back and won games almost single handedly - Max has shown repeatedly that he'll put it all on the line to win.

A new coach isn't weighed down by that stuff, especially since Max won't be here next year. Sonny is going to put the guy out there that gives him the best chance to win games.

FWFrogFan

i wish they would let the fan vote determine who plays. hell, even make it live during the game so the fans can choose who is in for the next drive.
I have to confess, as a student in 2007, I joined in an "Action Jackson" chant; encouraging GP to pull freshman QB Andy Dalton and put in Marcus Jackson.

Long story short, I'm glad fans don't get a vote.

Putt4Purple

My only concern and grief I have with Max is the throw to the long outside fade route along the sideline, which 95% of the time is either too long or out of bounds. If he would just change his decision on his receiver or play call on that one issue alone he would be a much better QB. My feeling is he was taught that at nauseam by a certain coach as a bail out throw. It winds up being a wasted play!
Go Frogs!

Virginia Frog

If Max isn’t going to start, just settle it now and let him transfer out to play somewhere else. He doesn’t owe us anything. It would be a shame for him to be a backup QB his senior season.
I'm intrigued by this Baylor QB situation.

I would assume that Bohanon made a deal with Aranda: he wanted to start as QB but was not going to accept riding the pine if his competition won the job in Spring Drills. So rather then leave in January he offered this round-about portal strategy so the coach/team had all options open. His heart was to stay at BU but he could accept the outcome if it wasn't to his liking. (He was bigger than BU he thought, IMO.)

Maybe Max could do the same. I can't read his mind but I don't see Max leaving (unless he was told flat out that he was benched for '22.) I believe his thoughts are: TCU is his school, the Frogs are his team and he's gonna finish what he started. (Even if the coach's judgment was that he was #2, he knows things can change for many reasons and #1 could come in a flash.)

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
My only concern and grief I have with Max is the throw to the long outside fade route along the sideline, which 95% of the time is either to long or out of bounds. If he would just change his decision on his receiver or play call on that one issue alone he would be a much better QB. My feeling is he was taught that at nauseam by a certain coach as a bail out throw. It winds up being a wasted play!
Go Frogs!
How about we tear the fade out of the playbook altogether and never call it again. Ever.

SwissArmyFrog

Max has been up and down for 3 years...and the system we are changing to is actually moving towards his weaknesses not his strength. We are going to throw the ball about 25% more than we have since the 14-2016 years. Max is a slow processor and fairly inaccurate over 10-12 yards

Sounds like Boykin: for 2 years Boykin was the epitome of an inaccurate, slow processor. Then new coaching shows up in 2014 that actually moved toward his weaknesses, yet he then flourished.

That said, past scenarios are past, and promise nothing. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

ticketfrog123

The fact that we are having this debate with one of the QBs potentially being a 4-year starter here is pretty concerning.

He should either be 100% the starter by now or 100% not. This wishy-washy stuff is more of an indictment of his replacements.

Where can he transfer to and learn the playbook to win a starting job over the summer?

Iowa? Northern Iowa?

asleep003

I believe Max was very ill served by the previous Staff, and his development stunted by bad schemes and utilization.
Max has started for how many years now? What has he been patient about?
If Max starts ... we should see an improved performance, over the 2021 4th in the Big12 efficiency(64%) of QBs, with 2,000+ yds passing; ahead of:
Purdy ISU/Doege WVU/Sanders OSU/Bohanon BU/Rattler OU/Bean KU... behind one of the poorer pass protection OLs in the league.

Last edited:

Chongo94

I agree with this, accuracy is an issue - but the biggest issue is consistency. Lots of QBs show flashes of brilliance, but the big winners are consistent.

Under Gary, there's no doubt in my mind that Max would get the nod. Patterson seemed to be big "he's earned it" guy. I think the decision to go with Alex Delton in 2019 best exemplifies this. Gary would say he's a leader, he works the hardest - but I never thought he was the best choice for QB.

In some ways I would agree that Max has earned it. There have been times where the put the team on his back and won games almost single handedly - Max has shown repeatedly that he'll put it all on the line to win.

A new coach isn't weighed down by that stuff, especially since Max won't be here next year. Sonny is going to put the guy out there that gives him the best chance to win games.
I will FOREVER lament and hate that Delton decision. That was the “he really has lost it” moment for me.

Chongo94

This really says it, you have a potential 4-year starter apparently being pushed/outplayed by a redshirt freshman. Give the frosh the keys at this point.