• The KillerFrogs

Bracketology

geefrogs

The standard that you have to meet in order to make the NCAA tournament is a joke. Prove that you can beat a decent team about 1 out of every 3 times and you are in. That's about it. There are about 100 teams too many in D1 basketball and the NCAA tournament is twice the size it needs to be. I'd argue 4x too big. 16 teams is plenty, make the regular season very meaningful and people might tune in before March. And you'd still have a great tournament.
PSX_20220304_144049.jpg

Wexahu

Very creative, nice job.

Still don't understand the participation trophy mindset everyone seems to have, but oh well. Might as well invite another 68 teams and add another round, why not?

Just saw that Rutgers, Xavier, Memphis and Loyola (Chicago) are the "last four in" in the latest Bracketology as of today. Rutgers is 17-12, Xavier is also 17-12 (and 7-11 in their league), Memphis is 18-9 playing in the AAC, and Loyola, I guess going 13-5 in the Missouri Valley makes one a real contender for a D1 national championship.

The standard for making the tournament are a joke.

froglash88

Very creative, nice job.

Still don't understand the participation trophy mindset everyone seems to have, but oh well. Might as well invite another 68 teams and add another round, why not?

Just saw that Rutgers, Xavier, Memphis and Loyola (Chicago) are the "last four in" in the latest Bracketology as of today. Rutgers is 17-12, Xavier is also 17-12 (and 7-11 in their league), Memphis is 18-9 playing in the AAC, and Loyola, I guess going 13-5 in the Missouri Valley makes one a real contender for a D1 national championship.

The standard for making the tournament are a joke.
Or maybe just someone’s perspective is?

geefrogs

Worst case scenario, we lose today and our first round game. I think we end at a 10 seed.

Best case we win today, maybe steal a game or two in the tourney. Get up as high to a 6 seed.

My best guess, we end up at a 9 seed.

But, lots of other madness can happen in other conference tourneys and whatnot.

Absolutely love this time of year. Especially when the Frogs are part of it.

geefrogs

A game to watch. If Morehead State can knock off Murray State. You gotta think the OVC will get 2 bids meaning someone is losing out.

Worst case scenario, we lose today and our first round game. I think we end at a 10 seed.

Best case we win today, maybe steal a game or two in the tourney. Get up as high to a 6 seed.

My best guess, we end up at a 9 seed.

But, lots of other madness can happen in other conference tourneys and whatnot.

Absolutely love this time of year. Especially when the Frogs are part of it.
One can strongly argue that the four week period of conference tournaments, bracketology, and the NCAA tournament is the best most engaging gig in sports. @Wexahu enjoys that debate. And Wex, the regular season matters a lot - just look at the Frogs’ season hangin’ on the edge until its last win, and now it is about seeding and enjoying the anticipation that the Horned Frogs are in. Many Frog fans are apathetic because the regular season has not been good to their team for decades, thus excluding them from The Big Dance - the season matters a lot.

Brackets are dragged into most offices. Old and new friends have their annual bracketology with a lot of head scratching while filling in those blanks. I participate in a Calcutta auction which is much fun.

The titles “March Madness” and “The Big Dance” are for good reason and appropriate. No other gig has monikers like that.

Last edited:

geefrogs

A reminder that if you live in DFW, you could go watch some conference tourney hoops next week.

American Conference tourney (Houston, Smoo, etc.) will be at Dickies Arena March 10-13th.

C-USA tourney (North Texas, UAB, etc.) will be at Ford Center in Frisco March 8th-12th.

Wexahu

One can strongly argue that the four week period of conference tournaments, bracketology, and the NCAA tournament is the best most engaging gig in sports. @Wexahu enjoys that debate. And Wex, the regular season matters a lot - just look at the Frogs season hangin’ on the edge until its last win, and now it is about seeding and enjoying the anticipation that the Horned Frogs are in. Many Frog fans are apathetic because the regular season has not been good to them for decades - the season matters a lot.

Brackets are dragged into most offices. Old and new friends have their annual bracketology with a lot of head scratching while filling in those blanks. I participate in a Calcutta auction which is much fun.

The name “March Madness” is for good reason and appropriate. No other gig has a moniker like that.
We're just gonna have to agree to disagree.

How important is the #14 Arkansas/#13 Tennessee game today? What about #12 TT vs Oklahoma State? Texas/KU? #16 USC/ #17 UCLA? The only "important" games in the last 3-4 weeks of the season involve teams that have already proven they aren't worthy of winning a championship by either only winning about 60% of their games or being some small school from a rinky dink conference that never had a chance anyway. Think about about much more interest there'd be in the games involving good teams in the last few weekends if the field was scaled way back.

The main problem is there is about 15 too many conference that are competing at the D1 level. It's like some 2A or 3A school competing against Allen, Duncanville and Southlake Carroll. It's just dumb. And you'll never convince me that the constant increasing of playoff fields in any sport doesn't reduce the importance of the regular season. Hell, load management is a thing now, because the games mean so little.

As for March Madness, brackets, and office pools, those would be replaced by something else. And the NIT would probably become a pretty big deal again. The last month of the season would be great with a 16-team field. Lots and lots of games involving teams that could win it all that would be very important.
To your point, why not increase the field to 128?

geefrogs

Indiana looking to get off the bubble and into the field.

Close vs. #8 Purdue.

I think atm Indiana is the first team out.

Wexahu

Why do they even allow Gonzaga to play in the NCAA tournament? It’s ridiculous.
- There are probably at least 15 Division 1 conferences worse than the WCC. It's currently #9 in RPI out of 32 conferences.
- They beat Texas, UCLA, and Texas Tech in OOC (and played Duke and Alabama, which probably makes for the best OOC schedule in the country)
- They dominate their league (13-1 this year so far)

Your sarcasm aside, it's pretty simple really.