• The KillerFrogs

TCU’s ROI

Fiscuits

It’s not just the athletic department. The school has changed. Hard for me to imagine myself and most of my friends from back then ending up at TCU today. That and the absurd cost is why my middle daughter is at A&M.
You and I both. My son is at A&M. Will cost about same to send him there for 5 years (undergrad and masters) as it does TCU for 1 1/2 (just undergrad). Same or better quality everything and an alumni network on every corner of the planet.

It’s also hasn’t (and never will) gone full tilt woke liberal nutso like TCU.

TCUdirtbag

TCU announced today that tuition will increase 4.5% next year. Totals just under $54,000 for tuition and fees for 12-18 hour fall and spring semesters. This is on the heels of this year’s record enrollment up 4.9% this fall to basically 12,000 students. Medical school tuition will increase to roughly $63,000 per year.

They also announced a new housing complex on East Campus that will begin with 2 residence halls (500 beds) and 1 dining facility (700 seats), with plans to add more in coming years. Renovations will move ahead to make Sadler an academic building and refresh the so far untouched older portions of the library.

Perhaps the biggest news is the search will begin in the spring or summer for a TCU President. They’re effectively splitting Boschini’s job in half and moving him into a sort of pre-retirement strategy/fundraising role. That will probably take effect in the summer of 2023–in line with the end of the $1 B Lead On campaign and the university’s 150th anniversary.

Fiscuits

TCU announced today that tuition will increase 4.5% next year. Totals just under $54,000 for tuition and fees for 12-18 hour fall and spring semesters. This is on the heels of this year’s record enrollment up 4.9% this fall to basically 12,000 students. Medical school tuition will increase to roughly $63,000 per year.

They also announced a new housing complex on East Campus that will begin with 2 residence halls (500 beds) and 1 dining facility (700 seats), with plans to add more in coming years. Renovations will move ahead to make Sadler an academic building and refresh the so far untouched older portions of the library.

Perhaps the biggest news is the search will begin in the spring or summer for a TCU President. They’re effectively splitting Boschini’s job in half and moving him into a sort of pre-retirement strategy/fundraising role. That will probably take effect in the summer of 2023–in line with the end of the $1 B Lead On campaign and the university’s 150th anniversary.
An ridiculously absurd price for anyone, studying any degree, to pay.

What Up Toad

You and I both. My son is at A&M. Will cost about same to send him there for 5 years (undergrad and masters) as it does TCU for 1 1/2 (just undergrad). Same or better quality everything and an alumni network on every corner of the planet.

It’s also hasn’t (and never will) gone full tilt woke liberal nutso like TCU.
I went to an A&M graduation last year and the chancellor's speech was effectively, "Please stop emailing me about all these crazy conspiracy theories and put your A&M education to use." They're dealing with their own problems.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I went to an A&M graduation last year and the chancellor's speech was effectively, "Please stop emailing me about all these crazy conspiracy theories and put your A&M education to use." They're dealing with their own problems.
high five texas am GIF by Texas A&M University
Yell Texas Am GIF by Texas A&M University

I don’t think they are acknowledging their problems.

flyfishingfrog

Here's the data:

Acceptance Rate By Year
TCU
  • 2016-2017: 37.6%
  • 2017-2018: 41.1%
  • 2018-2019: 40.7%
  • 2019-2020: 47.2%
SMU
  • 2016-2017: 48.9%
  • 2017-2018: 48.8%
  • 2018-2019: 51.2%
  • 2019-2020: 47.3%
Do you realize our acceptance rate went up because our class enrollment size was increased per approved as much as anything and that the numbers from 2012-2020 made TCU the second most selective university in the state only behind Rice?

Even if we end up in a tie with SMU - we would still be in the top 3-4 hardest schools to get into state so stop acting like the sky is falling

40 years ago our acceptance rate was basically 100% and we still couldn’t fill our classes

National acceptance averages for schools in the. Top 150 are more than 10 points higher than TCUs because of the simplification and digitalization of the application process allowing students to apply to a dozen schools simply with a series of clicks and a credit card

The tuition cost/value discussion is a constant topic at TCU but despite all the whining by our alumni - the supply side of students is no where near being an issue right now and we are still increasing the quality and metrics of our student body every year

Eight

Do you realize our acceptance rate went up because our class enrollment size was increased per approved as much as anything and that the numbers from 2012-2020 made TCU the second most selective university in the state only behind Rice?

Even if we end up in a tie with SMU - we would still be in the top 3-4 hardest schools to get into state so stop acting like the sky is falling

40 years ago our acceptance rate was basically 100% and we still couldn’t fill our classes

National acceptance averages for schools in the. Top 150 are more than 10 points higher than TCUs because of the simplification and digitalization of the application process allowing students to apply to a dozen schools simply with a series of clicks and a credit card

The tuition cost/value discussion is a constant topic at TCU but despite all the whining by our alumni - the supply side of students is no where near being an issue right now and we are still increasing the quality and metrics of our student body every year

good, guess the school will need those future students to support various capital projects and not the whining alumni

flyfishingfrog

good, guess the school will need those future students to support various capital projects and not the whining alumni
doubt you guys who whine you won't send your kids to TCU because of cost are really the ones TCU will look to for major donations in the future anyway

4th. down

It’s not just the athletic department. The school has changed. Hard for me to imagine myself and most of my friends from back then ending up at TCU today. That and the absurd cost is why my middle daughter is at A&M.
VB just recently said tuition going up 4 1/2%. My kids went to TCU but presently under these circumstances, it wouldn't happen now.

watchfrog

Bro we got a medical school out if it, could not have paid off anymore than that. Well except for Ferrari passing on the law school but not sure they could have opened the law school and the medical school back to back but they sure should have.
And we let the aggies into our backyard. Now they’re building a giant campus downtown.

Big Frog II

My kids went to TCU, and I would send them again. As for the "wokeness" some of you complain about, the vast majority of the students pay no attention to that. Their biggest concerns are what time is the next football game, where is the party, and working out at the rec center. Oh, some of them study too.

BleedNPurple

Here's the data:

Acceptance Rate By Year
TCU
  • 2016-2017: 37.6%
  • 2017-2018: 41.1%
  • 2018-2019: 40.7%
  • 2019-2020: 47.2%
SMU
  • 2016-2017: 48.9%
  • 2017-2018: 48.8%
  • 2018-2019: 51.2%
  • 2019-2020: 47.3%
Stop using facts! Can’t figure why everyone thinks our football prospects are bleak. We didn’t build these facilities to drop athletics. Have to keep climbing the mountain.

tcumaniac

My kids went to TCU, and I would send them again. As for the "wokeness" some of you complain about, the vast majority of the students pay no attention to that. Their biggest concerns are what time is the next football game, where is the party, and working out at the rec center. Oh, some of them study too.
TCU is quickly becoming a much different place than it was back when me and your kids were there.

westoverhillbilly

My kids went to TCU, and I would send them again.
Ditto.. My daughter went to TCU and my son went to Univ of Arkansas- an unbelievable difference in quality of education and prospects.. The quality of jobs my daughter and her TCU friends got were so superior (in compensation and opportunities) to those that their friends got who went to SEC/Big 12 institutions with similar credentials. And my daughter and her friends received political science and other typically non-lucrative degrees and still ended up in good shape. Call it an exclusive private school thing or whatever, but I believe employers know they're getting better quality prospects here than at the cow schools and the flagship universities in the hinterlands..

Pharm Frog

Ditto.. My daughter went to TCU and my son went to Univ of Arkansas- an unbelievable difference in quality of education and prospects.. The quality of jobs my daughter and her TCU friends got were so superior (in compensation and opportunities) to those that their friends got who went to SEC/Big 12 institutions with similar credentials. And my daughter and her friends received political science and other typically non-lucrative degrees and still ended up in good shape. Call it an exclusive private school thing or whatever, but I believe employers know they're getting better quality prospects here than at the cow schools and the flagship universities in the hinterlands..
Not disputing that this was your experience but I do not believe for one second that this holds up as even a general rule in the real world.