• The KillerFrogs

Another loss is about to be in the books. Can we please fire Doug Meacham? Please?

And, Peterson was held to 63 yds. and left in the 4th. quarter (injury). We beat him up pretty good. This is the game where a TCU player said as the game was coming to a close, "we're still here."
You’re right. It was 22 carries for 63 yards. Forgive my memory...it was 16 years ago!

Imagine if we’d done that to Robinson on Saturday.

My point still stands. We are a shadow of what we once were on defense.

NewFrogFan

Yeah, yeah, yeah. "Well, it wasn't him out there fumbling the ball!" "It wasn't him out there throwing an incomplete pass!" All true. But, the point is it was him that is 1.) Calling the plays, 2.) Running the plays in practice (allegedly) to evaluate what will work and won't, and 3.) Picking the personnel to run the plays called. In all of these instances, we are not cutting it. ZE was criminally underused, again, and just plain dumb passing plays were called at critical moments that destroyed any momentum we had gained. Critical turnovers were caused by protection breakdowns, pad playcalling, and the distinct probability of tells coming from signals or something that alerted the opposition to make a big play.

Over, and over again. The same errors, breakdowns, and general ineptitude. I had seen enough three years ago, and I've damned sure seen enough after today. There is no redemption for this guy, only continued failure. Sticking with this moron only hurts TCU.

Pile his crap up on the curb. Today.
Sure were A LOT of empty seats, empty parking spots, for the biggest home game of the year. Another blown weather forecast, start time, CV, something else? Stub Hub prices PLUMMETED couple days prior.

Yes, but why? Our talent is better.
I really don't know, but here’s a theory...

The Patterson defense is very complicated. It worked great when we had 2 and 3 star players who maybe were more inclined to be "coached" and "learn" rather than just rely on their athleticism. They bought in to the system and the fact that they had to excel mentally and strategically, and focus on fundamentals, in order to make up for a deficit in athleticism.

That's not to say that the 2 and 3 star players were any smarter than the guys out there now. It's that they couldn't just rely on their talent and they had to own the system Gary was teaching them in order for it to work. And maybe that perceived talent deficit is why we played with a chip on our shoulder so often, which was another intangible.

All the other theories have been discussed...Dick Bumpas is gone, Gary plays too much guitar or goes on too many safaris, everybody's figured out Gary's defense, etc. It may very well be a combination of all of those things.

Just scattershooting here, but It makes as much sense as those.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
so you need to fire Zach or his handlers evidently.....
And, away we go! "It's a cryptic, hush-hush thing, you see..."

I'm not singling you out, Flyfish, it's just that this is the umpteenth time I've seen this and I can't believe/understand it. It makes no sense.

Wexahu

The Patterson defense is very complicated. It worked great when we had 2 and 3 star players who maybe were more inclined to be "coached" and "learn" rather than just rely on their athleticism. They bought in to the system and the fact that they had to excel mentally and strategically, and focus on fundamentals, in order to make up for a deficit in athleticism.

That's not to say that the 2 and 3 star players were any smarter than the guys out there now. It's that they couldn't just rely on their talent and they had to own the system Gary was teaching them in order for it to work. And maybe that perceived talent deficit is why we played with a chip on our shoulder so often, which was another intangible.

All the other theories have been discussed...Dick Bumpas is gone, Gary plays too much guitar or goes on too many safaris, everybody's figured out Gary's defense, etc. It may very well be a combination of all of those things.

I think more than anything is that offenses have evolved over the years and our defense really hasn't, or at least it seems like it hasn't.

flyfishingfrog

And, away we go! "It's a cryptic, hush-hush thing, you see..."

I'm not singling you out, Flyfish, it's just that this is the umpteenth time I've seen this and I can't believe/understand it. It makes no sense.
you don't think that college football players that consider themselves NFL sure things in waiting are trying to negotiate reduced contact to decrease stress and risk of injuries all across America?

It is happening for sure. Is it happening at Bama - no because the next guy up is a 5 star also. Is it happening at UNLV - no because they need all the exposure they can get. Does it happen at mid-tier P5 schools - yes because they can get away with it. We don't have another 5 star in waiting behind him and we need him to compete - so he has some leverage. Same with players at every B12 school not named OU or UT and every other non-blue blood in the P5.

Not any different than guys opting to sit out the bowls that don't matter - and starting to even sit out the non-conference games in some places.

East Coast

Tier 1
To be fair, Meach isn't running his offense; it's some hybrid that includes very little tempo. I also think the play calling is far less random than the last couple of years. Very few "what the heck was that call?" moments.

I wouldn't have brought him back either, but wild guesses tell me that Gary (1) saw what a mess our receivers were after he left (2) believed he made a mistake choosing Cumbie over Meach (3) got Meach to agree to be more co-operative to come back (4) prefers the devil he knows

I think more than anything is that offenses have evolved over the years and our defense really hasn't, or at least it seems like it hasn't.
I don't disagree totally, but there are a lot of teams running a variation of our defense now that works better than ours. We simply haven't evolved, in my opinion. Or have just refused to evolve.

BrewingFrog

What’s hard to understand? A superstar made a deal to come here if we take care of him.
O.K. If this is indeed true, I make the assumption (dangerous, of course) that he is showcasing and preserving himself for the NFL. The thing is, the NFL is leery of players who are perceived as "quitters" or who do not give 110% 24/7. They are also leery of head-case primadonnas. Juxtapose the match we just saw: Bijan Robinson wanted the rock, and toted it for over 200 yards on the ground, dragging his team to victory. ZE tapped out and hung around on the sideline while his team needed him. As an NFL GM, who do you pick?

That's a dopey draft strategy.

Long Time Lurker

O.K. If this is indeed true, I make the assumption (dangerous, of course) that he is showcasing and preserving himself for the NFL. The thing is, the NFL is leery of players who are perceived as "quitters" or who do not give 110% 24/7. They are also leery of head-case primadonnas. Juxtapose the match we just saw: Bijan Robinson wanted the rock, and toted it for over 200 yards on the ground, dragging his team to victory. ZE tapped out and hung around on the sideline while his team needed him. As an NFL GM, who do you pick?

That's a dopey draft strategy.
I also think if we “Take Care” of him…you know…the “fish” thing… he will run 30 plays a game. If we can’t get him the “fish” he needs to take it easy and prep for his draft. If we give him that million dollar “fish” he will be our Robinson. I assume Robinson is already getting his “fish.”

BrewingFrog

you don't think that college football players that consider themselves NFL sure things in waiting are trying to negotiate reduced contact to decrease stress and risk of injuries all across America?

Not any different than guys opting to sit out the bowls that don't matter - and starting to even sit out the non-conference games in some places.
They all think they're 1st Round Picks.

It's a strange, strange world out there...

BrewingFrog

I also think if we “Take Care” of him…you know…the “fish” thing… he will run 30 plays a game. If we can’t get him the “fish” he needs to take it easy and prep for his draft. If we give him that million dollar “fish” he will be our Robinson. I assume Robinson is already getting his “fish.”
Ah, plus ca change... It's like I fell out of the Wayback Machine in 1980. Again. Except this time it's all legal and stuff.

I still don't get fish... I mean, fish? [ What the heck? ]?

As far as another theory, at least for the SMU game, Dykes worked on staff. He was very well versed on what GP's defense does. He knew the weak spots and had his OC take advantage of them. Of course, over time, any intelligent OC will understand GP's tendencies and figure out a way to attack them. Figure in the difference in talent and desire, and it can lead to a loss in every conference game except maybe Kansas. I hope not.