• The KillerFrogs

NIL Starts Tomorrow - Be Aggressive TCU

SuperTFrog

Did you ask this marketing expert how valuable an athlete will be on social media when he can’t reference the school or any of the activities in his social media activity if he is also making money from it?
As mentioned by another poster, that is only in some states (like Texas). In other states, they can wear their school’s gear in the posts.

flyfishingfrog

As mentioned by another poster, that is only in some states (like Texas). In other states, they can wear their school’s gear in the posts.
Since TCU is in Texas - other states having different rules is an issue not something to be excited about

but again marketing guys are telling lots of stories right now - and ignoring the reality that the majority of NFL players make very little off their NIL outside of the superstars yet have a 10x audience and name recognition

and many pro athletes in other sports have no deal beyond the “team deal” from overall sponsors

so I just don’t see a bunch of non-star college kids making money that materially matters when pros struggle- the rich will get richer and then we will see how that plays in the locker room

Last edited:

Eight

We have people working on it also - but it’s all really fluid and open to interpretation- for example LSU will allow athletes to use their logo but no idea about the La state law. However the NCAA guidelines won’t and the state of Texas law won’t either

so there is already differences that will cause unfair advantages

very possible which is why the ncaa should have been out in front on this from the start in stead of hoping congress would bail their collective arses out

curious how the ncaa has any say over the use of school logos since they don't own the trademarks as well as if a regular student would be allowed to use the logos if they got permission from the university

in response to your question about the value of the personal brand without the logo that will remain to be seen, but again the wildcard in all of this is the number of followers on social media.

don't follow any college athletes on social media, heck, don't follow anyone, but the people i know who do that for marketing purposes still believe there is a great opportunity for those with established identities and multiple followers

coach at rice told me they have a few kids who have opportunities to start business ventures they would not have had prior to the law and this might keep them in school

will also be interesting to see how this plays out athletes in individual sports such as track and field. hobbs kessler signed out high school to go pro and at 17-18 years of age is being dropped into world wide travel to run in the diamond league.

does that change now? same with the sprinter who placed 3rd in the trials in the men's 200M and turned pro while in high school.

Wexahu

very possible which is why the ncaa should have been out in front on this from the start in stead of hoping congress would bail their collective arses out

curious how the ncaa has any say over the use of school logos since they don't own the trademarks as well as if a regular student would be allowed to use the logos if they got permission from the university

in response to your question about the value of the personal brand without the logo that will remain to be seen, but again the wildcard in all of this is the number of followers on social media.

don't follow any college athletes on social media, heck, don't follow anyone, but the people i know who do that for marketing purposes still believe there is a great opportunity for those with established identities and multiple followers

coach at rice told me they have a few kids who have opportunities to start business ventures they would not have had prior to the law and this might keep them in school

will also be interesting to see how this plays out athletes in individual sports such as track and field. hobbs kessler signed out high school to go pro and at 17-18 years of age is being dropped into world wide travel to run in the diamond league.

does that change now? same with the sprinter who placed 3rd in the trials in the men's 200M and turned pro while in high school.

I don't disagree and this is all great and the way it's supposed to be I guess. For me personally though, my interest level in college sports (football in particular because that's the only sport I was REALLY invested in as far as my time and money) will be a fraction of what it was. If this is the way it's going to be, all about marketing/PR and making money, it's just not all that interesting to me. We have pro sports for that, which I basically no longer watch. Maybe it's just me getting old. Maybe it's always been about making money but it didn't always feel that way, like it's starting to.