• The KillerFrogs

Best college town. Fort Worth #29

Armadillo

Anyone who thinks Austin is a top 5 college town hasn't been here in years. The homeless situation has spiraled out of control. And crime on the ut campus is horrific. There are still some cool places to visit in and around Austin, and some great BBQ, but this city is dying under the homeless crisis. And in non-covid times, there's a shooting down on 6th street every weekend. Will only get worse.

God I miss FW.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Based on my personal experience (grad school at OSU) I’d have to say towns like Stillwater, Corvallis, Eugene, State College, Bloomington, Ames, Iowa City, etc make better college towns because, well, that’s all they are. In Stillwater it it is OSU all day everyday. There may be grads from other schools living there, but probably very few. Fort Worth has grads from everywhere, other attractions and lots of things to do. Fort Worth doesn’t turn purple and shut down on game days. Stillwater, and I’m sure a lot of other smaller college towns do. Stillwater was a big adjustment for me coming from Houston and TCU. But I actually enjoyed the all day everyday college atmosphere.

Last edited:

Eight

Anyone who thinks Austin is a top 5 college town hasn't been here in years. The homeless situation has spiraled out of control. And crime on the ut campus is horrific. There are still some cool places to visit in and around Austin, and some great BBQ, but this city is dying under the homeless crisis. And in non-covid times, there's a shooting down on 6th street every weekend. Will only get worse.

God I miss FW.

there was a time when the homeless in austin had some style and personality

1cb9f744623a5b5e426eb8440eca12ac.jpg

austin city council has bigger issues to deal with now such as the carbon emissions from the citys bbq restaurants

HToady

Based on my personal experience (grad school at OSU) I’d have to towns like Stillwater, Corvallis, Eugene, State College, Bloomington, Ames, Iowa City, etc make better college towns because, well, that’s all they are. In Stillwater it it is OSU all day everyday. There may be grads from other schools living there, but probably very few. Fort Worth has grads from everywhere, other attractions and lots of things to do. Fort Worth doesn’t turn purple and shut down on game days. Stillwater, and I’m sure a lot of other smaller college towns do. Stillwater was a big adjustment for me coming from Houston and TCU. But I actually enjoyed the all day everyday college atmosphere.
Absolutely agree and if your college shares it’s town with the state government it’s definitely not a college town.