• The KillerFrogs

TCU 360: TCU’s mask mandate to remain in place

Endless Purple

China is easy: They are straight up lying.

The other two are probably good examples, South Korea moreso since Japan is an island, but it's also such a smaller population that it's easier to contact trace and such. Especially since they didn't drag their feet for two months like the US did.

So what did they do during those two months exactly? And did those first two months eradicate most of it so they no longer suffer from it?

PO Frog

Curious as to what Japan, S Korea and China are doing that is not being done here. I think China had a more significant lockdown that would not fly well here nor could it be set up here.

Does anyone have valid statistics on how people wear masks or not wear masks? Ie. home gatherings, restaurants, shopping, friends birthdays in a private residence, etc...Would go further in explaining if the states with higher or lower transmission than just whether there is a mandate in effect.
They aren’t fat. Case closed

flyfishingfrog

Florida has had 146 deaths per 100,000 persons

California has had 135 deaths per 100,000
and?

why is the difference so small when one state has almost no mandates of when and where to wear a mask and has not been restricting business openings or capacity limits

while the other is almost on full lockdown with forcing businesses to remain closed for almost a year, restricting peoples movement to only necessary travel, limiting capacity in every business allowed to be open and requiring wearing a mask at all times you are outside your home

Because understanding the difference and why one state has crashed their economy while the other has only felt a slight blip to their citizens is key to getting past events like this - particularly now that the messages coming out of NY are the vaccines don't work against mutations of the virus - so we are headed back to square one.

That is the question that the CDC has not even bothered to investigate - most likely because they won't like the answer

Frog-in-law1995

Florida has the 2nd oldest population in the country, California has the 4th youngest.

Florida is 26th in deaths per capita, California is 28th.

California has been extremely locked down and masked up, Florida hasn't, and the virus has trended very similarly in both places. Explain that?

And California has more cases per capita than Florida.

Ron Swanson

On the California vs Florida thing, we have to assume that there are other variables at play other than just the mask mandate.

Older people tend to take the virus more seriously and isolate/wear masks much more so than younger people, and Florida is a much older state. Maybe Florida has actually benefitted from the age of its citizens, despite there not being a mandate.

jake102

On the California vs Florida thing, we have to assume that there are other variables at play other than just the mask mandate.

I mean then what's the point?

Also - I've been to Florida since COVID and have family there, it's like Texas but even a little further open. On the other hand I have friends and family in California and they can't do anything unless it's in private.

I do agree with your original statement that masks certainly can't hurt. IMO the benefit is likely negligible, but I can't see a way they hurt.

Ron Swanson

Also - I've been to Florida since COVID and have family there, it's like Texas but even a little further open. On the other hand I have friends and family in California and they can't do anything unless it's in private.

I do agree with your original statement that masks certainly can't hurt. IMO the benefit is likely negligible, but I can't see a way they hurt.
What’s the point of what?

TCURiggs

Older people tend to take the virus more seriously and isolate/wear masks much more so than younger people, and Florida is a much older state. Maybe Florida has actually benefitted from the age of its citizens, despite there not being a mandate.

It's good to question some things, IMO. Do you not question: "maybe masks haven't really made a difference?" when you see a big piece of evidence like how the virus has trended regardless of mask mandates and lockdowns?

I haven't seen anywhere in the world where old people have benefited during this virus because they were more cautious. I doubt the younger caretakers in Florida, who likely take care of and are around all of those older people, have been super strict and careful in their open state. That seems like much more of a stretch than "well, maybe masks just don't do much," when there's plenty of evidence to support that at this point.

As others have said, I'm not a big anti-mask guy, and I will still wear one when needed in consideration of others, but it's getting harder to believe that they've done much to help.

Wexahu

Well, they dehumanize people to a degree. Impossible to quantify what that does to people though. While I'm not going to say that part of it is some huge deal, I can't help but think there is some negative effect, maybe more than we think.

HFrog1999

On the California vs Florida thing, we have to assume that there are other variables at play other than just the mask mandate..

giphy.gif

Eight

China is easy: They are straight up lying.

The other two are probably good examples, South Korea moreso since Japan is an island, but it's also such a smaller population that it's easier to contact trace and such. Especially since they didn't drag their feet for two months like the US did.

had the trump administration tried to implement what was done in south korea the outrage and opposition would have made last years election look like an elementary school pto bake sale

jake102

Of doing masks, restrictions, lockdowns, etc when we just have to assume something is strange with Florida. That's the polar opposite of science. It's a messaging thing more than anything - at this point the government/CDC should just come out and admit they have no clue how to slow the spread. They have a good grasp on who the disease most severely impacts, but they don't know how to slow the spread. They recommend masks and distance and not going to crowded places out of an abundance of caution, but it's a personal responsibility to take your own risks.

Wexahu

So what you are saying is if results and data don't really show what you expect them to show, you just have to assume there are other factors in play. Because there is no way masks don't have a real impact. That's kind of what you're saying, right?

OK, what other factors might there be?

To your point though, people on "your side" have compared what we are doing to what Japan and South Korea have done in trying to make the point that their measures have worked so much better than ours. IMO, there is one HUGE factor that differentiates us and those countries, and that is obesity. According to this list, the US has the 12th highest obesity rate in the world. We are literally the fattest country in the world of any size. South Korea and Japan have among the lowest obesity rates in the world. You don't think that is the biggest factor is their COVID "success"? How many deaths would the US have if we had 15% of the fat people that we currently have like Japan and South Korea do? Given the profile of who is dying from COVID, I'd say we'd have far, far fewer deaths had we done nothing differently. I'd say we'd have far fewer deaths had we done nothing at all. Isn't that reasonable to assume.

I don't think there is that much that differentiates Florida and California. They are probably the two most similar large states in our country.

Last edited:

HFrog1999

To keep this thread on topic. TCU can do what it wants with the mask mandate. I won’t be going to any games or coming onto campus if I have to wear one and I wouldn’t send my sons to a school with a mandate in place at this point in the pandemic. Others will make different decisions and that’s perfectly fine.

I had hoped masks would help, but after observing the numbers and different approaches in different areas, I don’t think they did. I think the mandate was just another example of security theater which is an all to common practice in government.

Wexahu

And that's what is surprising. They are both huge states, with majority of populations on the coast, very much outdoor climate places. Not comparing California to Iowa or something.

Not really all that surprising to me, but yes, similar population density, huge population densities concentrated in a relatively small area, huge areas where there are basically no people, etc.

And if I had to guess, I'd say Californians as a whole are generally healthier as Cali is not really known as an area where people go to retire. But I don't know the statistics on that. I doubt it's a major difference anyway.

Ron Swanson

I’m not saying there should be mandates, because I don’t think the mandates make a huge difference in whether people wear masks or not, but I do think everyone should wear a mask when in public because masks definitely help reduce the spread. If you were having a face-to-face conversation with someone you knew had a terrible virus that could be transmitted the same way COVID is transmitted, you’re lying through your teeth if you say you wouldn’t wear a mask and you wouldn’t care if the other person wore one.

Every hospital in the world makes people wear masks as they enter. I don’t think they’re doing that because masks don’t work.

And if you actually read the article I posted from the CDC, they have done studies that show masks reduce the spread (by up to 80% in some instances).