• The KillerFrogs

Signing Day Thread

CountryFrog

NFL people don't give one flying scheiss whether you won the Heisman or totally missed being on any all-conference team. As 8 said, all they want to see is film that will lead them to believe that you can be a good player on their team. Plus you need to check a few boxes in the measurables department and be able to speak in somewhat coherent thoughts about the game of football.

There isn't a single player who gets drafted higher because he was 1st team all-conference. There are probably plenty of NFL front office people who don't even know whether or not the guys they drafted were all-conference. All that does is give the media folks one more line in the player bio for the team web site.

4th. down

There were two senior Big 12 1st team OLineman last year who didn’t get drafted. Shackleford from Texas and Good-Jones from Iowa State. Don’t know if you recognize them or not but that wasn’t long ago.

Edit: Oh, you meant All-American. Do you mean 1st teamers or just any all-American? 1st teamer might be tough, but you never suggested Storment would come back and be a 1st team AA.

Yeah, remember Shackleford and I don't remember why he wasn't drafted because it would not have been because he wasn't any good or he wouid not have been 1st. team All Big 12.

"There have been a whole bunch of All Americans that didn’t even get drafted."

I never said anything about All American - it was 1st team Big 12. And......if your 1st. team Big 12 and not a head case or injured, and you want to go pro, you are drafted in some round. If he goes into the draft now, maybe the 6th. or 7th......maybe.

Wexahu

Yeah, remember Shackleford and I don't remember why he wasn't drafted because it would not have been because he wasn't any good or he wouid not have been 1st. team All Big 12.

I never said anything about All American - it was 1st team Big 12. And......if your 1st. team Big 12 and not a head case or injured, and you want to go pro, you are drafted in some round. If he goes into the draft now, maybe the 6th. or 7th......maybe.

But two senior OL guys made 1st team Big 12 just last year and didn’t get drafted. Doesn’t that kind of prove your point wrong?

Heck, I remember when Jackson Jeffcoat was B12 DPOY and didn’t get drafted. It simply doesn’t matter.

I think Teejay Johnson was a 1st team AA that didn’t get drafted.

CountryFrog

You may be confusing correlation with causation on some of this.

Do you really think NFL people give a scheiss who a couple dozen local media jackoffs voted for on an all-conference team?

4th. down

You may be confusing correlation with causation on some of this.

Do you really think NFL people give a scheiss who a couple dozen local media jackoffs voted for on an all-conference team?

You may have an important point on this, not only for Storment, but our future players. They may not really give a [ Finebaum ] if you made a Power 5 1st. team all conference.

Froggish

Combine probably means more than anything in regard to NFL draft ability. The exception would be QB and CB. You need to show a good skill set on film. Still the measurements and agility drills are the drivers

CountryFrog

Combine probably means more than anything in regard to NFL draft ability. The exception would be QB and CB. You need to show a good skill set on film. Still the measurements and agility drills are the drivers
No. Every team is different of course but it's probably anywhere from 70% - 90% what you put on film. The combine and personal workout stuff is just to check boxes to see if you fall in line physically with what has historically been the successful min/max over the years.

Think of measurables as the packaging and film as the product. When you buy something at the store you don't typically make your choice based only on packaging. If Eight sees a great looking package with pumpkin pancakes inside of it then there's no way he's buying it. For me as a pumpkin pancake lover, the packaging just needs to meet the standards of being in one piece and appearing to have been made by a reputable company. In both cases it's ultimately the product that is the deciding factor.

Obviously there are always exceptions with rogue owners like Al Davis falling in love with Derrius Hayward-Bey simply because he ran a crazy 40 time.

Froggish

No. Every team is different of course but it's probably anywhere from 70% - 90% what you put on film. The combine and personal workout stuff is just to check boxes to see if you fall in line physically with what has historically been the successful min/max over the years.

Think of measurables as the packaging and film as the product. When you buy something at the store you don't typically make your choice based only on packaging. If Eight sees a great looking package with pumpkin pancakes inside of it then there's no way he's buying it. For me as a pumpkin pancake lover, the packaging just needs to meet the standards of being in one piece and appearing to have been made by a reputable company. In both cases it's ultimately the product that is the deciding factor.

Obviously there are always exceptions with rogue owners like Al Davis falling in love with Derrius Hayward-Bey simply because he ran a crazy 40 time.

I think you’re right but I’d add that nobody gets a combine invite without having demonstrated something good on film first.

CountryFrog

I think you’re right but I’d add that nobody gets a combine invite without having demonstrated something good on film first.
Absolutely. There are also a few guys every year who don't get combine invites and are still drafted and of course many players who go to the combine but don't actually participate in any of the on field stuff.

Eight

grant gunnell apparently is in the transfer portal

traditional drop back passer with big arm, played at st pius in houston, parents i believe are aggies. and started a few games for arizona

don't see him fitting in the frogs offense if they plan to continue running the quarterback as part of the offense

FrogCoach84

grant gunnell apparently is in the transfer portal

traditional drop back passer with big arm, played at st pius in houston, parents i believe are aggies. and started a few games for arizona

don't see him fitting in the frogs offense if they plan to continue running the quarterback as part of the offense

Don’t think he’s a great fit here as he will obviously be looking for a starting job and he would not beat Max out, especially with how the offense is using the QB now.

He is probably a package deal with WR Boobie Curry who hit the portal same day. HS teammates who both followed Sumlin to AZ.

I could see them winding up at UH or TT.

Moose Stuff

Did we discuss Ben Wilson entering the portal on Monday? Had fallen behind others this year, but how much depth do we have at M behind Wallow now? Harris and...?

They must be pretty content with the depth because until Wilson announced his plans we were not taking an LB in this class even with Wallow leaving. I know they liked Hodge (I guess he got hurt?). Would be nice if Brooks panned out. I think Winters and Harris will be very solid.

ticketfrog123

Don’t think he’s a great fit here as he will obviously be looking for a starting job and he would not beat Max out, especially with how the offense is using the QB now.

He is probably a package deal with WR Boobie Curry who hit the portal same day. HS teammates who both followed Sumlin to AZ.

I could see them winding up at UH or TT.

You’re on crack. He had offers from Ohio State and LSU and you think he’ll end up at UH or TT?

he’s leaving because the coaching staff got fired.

TCU offered him in 2019 and we need QB depth. He definitely could beat out max on passing abilities alone.

Moose Stuff

You’re on crack. He had offers from Ohio State and LSU and you think he’ll end up at UH or TT?

he’s leaving because the coaching staff got fired.

TCU offered him in 2019 and we need QB depth. He definitely could beat out max on passing abilities alone.

His numbers are as bad as or worse than Max's (the guy who probably isn't good enough to be a D1 starter). You know who else had an offer from Ohio St?...... Max. Stay hot.

ticketfrog123

His numbers are as bad as or worse than Max's (the guy who probably isn't good enough to be a D1 starter). You know who else had an offer from Ohio St?...... Max. Stay hot.

not really. Grant was their top target that year over Max. There are multiple media comments that Max’s offer wasn’t “commitable” unless things fell through.

I’ll take Ryan Day and the OSU staff’s opinion over yours.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/04/ohio_state_qb_target_max_dugga.html