• The KillerFrogs

Two rules for coaches

Actually, one each for baseball, football coaches.
Baseball
Always bunt in the early to middle innings (situational in late innings) no matter who is up to bat with runners on first and second and ZERO outs
Football
NEVER go for 2 before the 4th quarter.
That is all.

Last edited:

Never bunt. Literally never.
Wow. Coming from someone I know knows baseball and makes a living as such I would like you to convince me why. I doubt you can,, but I am on board to listen. This seems to be a personal philosophy with baseball coaches (and fans) when in my mind (discloser: had a baseball coach who insisted on this and I agree) it is solid strategy. OK, make your case. Again, I respect what you do so I value your input. But to just make a blanket statement like you did in no way comes close to convincing me despite your upbringing and background. Having said all that I guess you could have been joking

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
Actually, one each for baseball, football coaches.
Baseball
Always bunt no matter who is up to bat with runners on first and second and ZERO outs
Football
NEVER go for 2 before the 4th quarter.
That is all.
But to just make a blanket statement like you did in no way comes close to convincing me despite your upbringing and background.

0B5CD6C2-F309-4CF4-953F-4AFEEACB38DB.gif

Frog-in-law1995

Common sense, man. Maybe I should have said early to middle innings. I guess some people have to be smart arses. Or too stupid so I have to spell it out (you just brought out the 2314 in me).

Well, if you meant “early to middle innings,” then yeah, that’s probably what you should have said, instead of “always.”

froginmn

Cool thread. Like almost everything else in baseball, bunting is situational. With a runner on base in late innings in a tie game or one run deficit, I'm almost always going to bunt.

But you have to teach players how to bunt, make sure that baserunners know the situation, etc. And if a great contact hitter is up, you might go with a feeling...

That is the BM philosophy.

Just my op, but there are situations I might prefer a bunt. I also think a hit and run can be very effective if a team can execute it.
I can almost agree to rarely bunting but to say never like Moose is wrong. Baseball is possibly the most situational sport of all sports so saying never is not correct thinking. Like in the Romeo Void song, "Never say never."

Frog-in-law1995

There’s just very few situations where it increases run expectancy. Really, worry about the double play at the pro level (where they are significantly more common) is really the only time it might increase your chances of a run. If you need 2 runs late, it might increase the odds of 2 runs, but analytics show it absolutely decreases the odds of 1 run.

Frog-in-law1995

I can almost agree to rarely bunting but to say never like Moose is wrong. Baseball is possibly the most situational sport of all sports so saying never is not correct thinking. Like in the Romeo Void song, "Never say never."

Common sense, man. Maybe I should have said early to middle innings. I guess some people have to be smart arses. Or too stupid so I have to spell it out (you just brought out the 2314 in me).

hard to believe the same person made these two posts within 10 minutes.

Pharm Frog

I'd bunt against the shift every single time....might bat .550 doing that (until they are forced to play you straight up). But I also get Moose's point because as bad as we are at ball-in-play base running, the odds of base runners being picked off or thrown out at 3rd is just too great to play for base runners.

Pharm Frog

There’s just very few situations where it increases run expectancy. Really, worry about the double play at the pro level (where they are significantly more common) is really the only time it might increase your chances of a run. If you need 2 runs late, it might increase the odds of 2 runs, but analytics show it absolutely decreases the odds of 1 run.

I absolutely think that analytics can assist in decision making. I am equally adamant that the analytics (specific enough to personnel and personnel available) are far too weak at the collegiate level to trust them nearly as much one might in MLB with it's 162 game seasons and fairly stable personnel from season to season.

Frog-in-law1995

I absolutely think that analytics can assist in decision making. I am equally adamant that the analytics (specific enough to personnel and personnel available) are far too weak at the collegiate level to trust them nearly as much one might in MLB with it's 162 game seasons and fairly stable personnel from season to season.

I agree. Maybe not with far too weak, but certainly it’s more useful at the pro level.

The question concerns runners on first and second with no outs. Why does this board always go off topic (that how message boards go?)?