• The KillerFrogs

Rogers transferring

Considering they have not given him an opportunity to play, there is no evidence to suggest that he is any good. I know the coaches work hard and want to win and all that but, and this is a big but, considering they invested an entire Spring and Fall in trying to prove Alex Delton is actually good only for him to reveal he was what we thought he was, I would have preferred to see what he is with my own eyes rather than the complete waste of time and development opportunities that turned out to be.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Zero reason?

he was extremely highly rated and hasn’t had a chance to prove himself. I wouldnt say zero reason.
Well, he’s recovered and still fourth string. Do you think the coaches are just holding him back for fun? Many highly rated players don’t work out. Especially QB’s that haven’t played since their junior year of high school.

Take away the recruiting rating and you would have no reason to believe what you believe. To take it further. Brandon Bowen was highly rated. How’d that work out?

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

Look I’m not saying he CAN’T be any good. I’m saying we don’t have any current reason to believe he WILL be. He’s healthy enough to play and he’s our 4th string QB (if not 5th) with no signs of improvement (according to Gary, yes I know “it’s Gary so......”). I’m not rooting against the kid or anything, just stating my opinion..... We have our QB of the future already, we will not miss Justin Rogers. Good luck to the kid.

Eight

Considering they have not given him an opportunity to play, there is no evidence to suggest that he is any good. I know the coaches work hard and want to win and all that but, and this is a big but, considering they invested an entire Spring and Fall in trying to prove Alex Delton is actually good only for him to reveal he was what we thought he was, I would have preferred to see what he is with my own eyes rather than the complete waste of time and development opportunities that turned out to be.

i would suggest that one coach felt alex delton was the answer and the offensive co-ordinator spent a great deal of time trying to fulfill that other coaches expectations.

delton looks like no other quarterback on this roster and tcu has not gone to recruiting run first, pass second quarterbacks.

duggan was a dual threat, rogers was a dual threat before the injury, baldwin is more pass first, collins is pass first though collins and supposedly baldwin can run a bit.

there is nothing that supports the frogs have emphasized running over passing other than alex delton and again that was the decision of one person.

second, as moose points out rogers hasn't played in over 3 years and just returned to full practice.

exactly what would you like the staff to do during in-season practice? a decision was made to go with max and delton's participation has been steadily dropping over the last month. i believe he had 1-2 series against iowa state, a series against kansas state, and nothing last week.

i think the staff has done a decent job of identifying physical talent at the position, you can try to make a decision about developing that talent though max is showing progress

H-Town Frog

He was a big recruit and is a great kid. His mom, so pro TCU and even helped "recruit" on Twitter. He could have stayed at TCU to get his education, but I'm sure that competitive fire is driving him to want to play. Sadly, I don't think he will ever be 100% health wise to be the QB he was capable of being pre injury. I wish him luck and I hope he proves me wrong.

Froggish

I know Jimmy “Jet” Holiday might flip to TN but I think we promised him we’d let him give it a go at both QB and WR. Nobody else has said that. Everyone else is recruiting him solely as a WR and he wants a shot at QB.

i would suggest that one coach felt alex delton was the answer and the offensive co-ordinator spent a great deal of time trying to fulfill that other coaches expectations.

delton looks like no other quarterback on this roster and tcu has not gone to recruiting run first, pass second quarterbacks.

duggan was a dual threat, rogers was a dual threat before the injury, baldwin is more pass first, collins is pass first though collins and supposedly baldwin can run a bit.

there is nothing that supports the frogs have emphasized running over passing other than alex delton and again that was the decision of one person.

second, as moose points out rogers hasn't played in over 3 years and just returned to full practice.

exactly what would you like the staff to do during in-season practice? a decision was made to go with max and delton's participation has been steadily dropping over the last month. i believe he had 1-2 series against iowa state, a series against kansas state, and nothing last week.

i think the staff has done a decent job of identifying physical talent at the position, you can try to make a decision about developing that talent though max is showing progress

That's a lot of stuff although credit to you for putting it all into a succinct package. I'll do my best.

As to Max, I don't think that anyone is suggesting (I'm certainly not) that JR should start over him because he is developing despite the limitations of our offensive scheme, has every physical attribute needed to play the game at a high level and has shown quite a bit of physical and mental toughness. It would be idiotic to suggest that given the potential he's shown compared to someone who hasn't played at all. I'm very impressed with what he has done given what he has had to work with and you can search every post I have made since the start of the season and you will not find one thing I have said that is even slightly negative toward him.

I think you have stated that you are not on the pay site but it seems to me that the information disseminated in regard to QB recruiting suggests that there is an emphasis on duel threat QB's. Not running to the point of emphasizing running over passing--to use your words--but not offering QB's who were not capable of running the ball as part of the overall offensive strategy even if their passing credentials suggests very good potential at that aspect of playing QB. It's perhaps a defensible choice to make but does seem to be at this point a recruiting emphasis at the position.

As to the QB recruiting that you reference, Duggan and Rogers were the only QB's we recruited out of HS with any fervor. The others became available through transfer.

Once you get down the depth chart, the decision and evaluation process is much more debatable. As to Delton, you are obviously correct that his playing time has been limited in recent times even if his "meaningful" snaps seemed to come at an inopportune time in the KSU game. The point that I and others have made about him is that there are limited reps to go around in practice and we spent the entire Spring and Fall with him reportedly receiving the majority of first team reps along with reports about how well he was throwing the ball. Since we had seen him play and it appeared that he was limited, at best, it is very difficult to me to justify the reps that he took from Max and the other young QB's, JR included, during that process. I have no idea if JR will ever be any good regardless of the reps but I had a very good idea before the process that Delton was not. If I'm choosing between giving developmental reps to someone who could possibly be good, even if that possibility may be remote, then I'll choose giving those reps to that guy over someone who I already know is not.

As to your question about in-season practice, what I want them to do is focus on getting the starting QB ready to play and I want the limited reps available to go to the next best guy in case he has to play. Having seen both of them play, it is very obvious that Collins has the ability to be at least a competent college QB whereas Delton is limited in that regard. So, when Delton was inserted into a game to receive meaningful snaps under circumstances that left all of us shaking our heads as to what the coaches were doing, there is nothing that suggest to me that Collins is actually getting those limited 2d team reps that would provide the foundation for him to play if necessary.

It's all well possible that if Collins had been healthy during the Spring and he and Baldwin had been healthy in the fall, some of these things might be different but the situation is what it was and unfortunately it seems like a lot of reps were wasted for Max, JR and others trying to prove Delton wasn't what we knew he was from the very beginning.

berryfrog95

Those three snaps Delton got in the KState game really changed the momentum....might have cost us the win would be a stretch but were so I’ll-timed it was frustrating. Let’s hope he’s not in in Stillwater tomorrow unless we’re up 30....

Putt4Purple

Zero reason?

he was extremely highly rated and hasn’t had a chance to prove himself. I wouldnt say zero reason.

Its a simple reason he had not played. He was not %100
ready physically. He has another year before the injury he had fully heals. Even then no guarantee he will fully recover. No need to point fingers. It is what it is. I wish him well wherever he goes.

Moose Stuff

Its a simple reason he had not played. He was not %100
ready physically. He has another year before the injury he had fully heals. Even then no guarantee he will fully recover. No need to point fingers. It is what it is. I wish him well wherever he goes.

Health is not currently the issue being given for why he isn’t playing.

Putt4Purple

Health is not currently the issue being given for why he isn’t playing.

Yes it is. Health as well as being rusty. He was put on the taxi squad practicing. The purpose was to give him a chance to work off the rust from a lack of playing and also have his knee heal. It is a combination of both.

Moose Stuff

Yes it is. Health as well as being rusty. He was put on the taxi squad practicing. The purpose was to give him a chance to work off the rust from a lack of playing and also have his knee heal. It is a combination of both.

No it isn’t. Health may well be the actual issue but it is 100% not the reason Gary has given recently when he’s addressed the matter.

Eight

That's a lot of stuff although credit to you for putting it all into a succinct package. I'll do my best.

As to Max, I don't think that anyone is suggesting (I'm certainly not) that JR should start over him because he is developing despite the limitations of our offensive scheme, has every physical attribute needed to play the game at a high level and has shown quite a bit of physical and mental toughness. It would be idiotic to suggest that given the potential he's shown compared to someone who hasn't played at all. I'm very impressed with what he has done given what he has had to work with and you can search every post I have made since the start of the season and you will not find one thing I have said that is even slightly negative toward him.

I think you have stated that you are not on the pay site but it seems to me that the information disseminated in regard to QB recruiting suggests that there is an emphasis on duel threat QB's. Not running to the point of emphasizing running over passing--to use your words--but not offering QB's who were not capable of running the ball as part of the overall offensive strategy even if their passing credentials suggests very good potential at that aspect of playing QB. It's perhaps a defensible choice to make but does seem to be at this point a recruiting emphasis at the position.

As to the QB recruiting that you reference, Duggan and Rogers were the only QB's we recruited out of HS with any fervor. The others became available through transfer.

Once you get down the depth chart, the decision and evaluation process is much more debatable. As to Delton, you are obviously correct that his playing time has been limited in recent times even if his "meaningful" snaps seemed to come at an inopportune time in the KSU game. The point that I and others have made about him is that there are limited reps to go around in practice and we spent the entire Spring and Fall with him reportedly receiving the majority of first team reps along with reports about how well he was throwing the ball. Since we had seen him play and it appeared that he was limited, at best, it is very difficult to me to justify the reps that he took from Max and the other young QB's, JR included, during that process. I have no idea if JR will ever be any good regardless of the reps but I had a very good idea before the process that Delton was not. If I'm choosing between giving developmental reps to someone who could possibly be good, even if that possibility may be remote, then I'll choose giving those reps to that guy over someone who I already know is not.

As to your question about in-season practice, what I want them to do is focus on getting the starting QB ready to play and I want the limited reps available to go to the next best guy in case he has to play. Having seen both of them play, it is very obvious that Collins has the ability to be at least a competent college QB whereas Delton is limited in that regard. So, when Delton was inserted into a game to receive meaningful snaps under circumstances that left all of us shaking our heads as to what the coaches were doing, there is nothing that suggest to me that Collins is actually getting those limited 2d team reps that would provide the foundation for him to play if necessary.

It's all well possible that if Collins had been healthy during the Spring and he and Baldwin had been healthy in the fall, some of these things might be different but the situation is what it was and unfortunately it seems like a lot of reps were wasted for Max, JR and others trying to prove Delton wasn't what we knew he was from the very beginning.

the one issue on delton though is gary wanted him running a ground based offense and sonny spent that time and reps trying to build that offense.

the borderline obsession gary has had with alex in my mind gives sonny a bit of a pass as you can not make me believe the decisions to start and play alex are solely sonny's