• The KillerFrogs

Turns out Gary knows more than 99.99% of this forum.

Froggish

These posts are ridiculous. TCU played a whale of a game today and GP called a good game defensively. That doesn’t changes the fact that we laid eggs against SMU, ISU and KSU and were badly out coached and under prepared in both. Does that mean GP needs to be fired? No..Does it mean nobody should be allowed to be critical of him...Of course not...The program is average right now..It’s going to win about as often as it loses. Maybe slightly more

I know it’s a crazy concept for the less then nimble minds of KF, but if a program is average, it’s coaching is probably performing average to. I have never seen an 7 win football team that got 12 win coaching..Players and coaches need to be better..Today was a great step towards that.

I'm quite sure he knows more, by a lot, than 100% of this forum. I would assume that is true of just about all the P5 and NFL coaches, however, people can and do provide commentary on how they use that knowledge in forums like these relative to those other coaches who know more than 100% of those doing the commentary. Sometimes the commentary is insightful, sometimes it is downright stupid (such as those who have suggested he is not still a great coach). You can still know that you just saw a bad movie without being an expert on acting, directing and cinematography.

froginmn

I'm quite sure he knows more, by a lot, than 100% of this forum. I would assume that is true of just about all the P5 and NFL coaches, however, people can and do provide commentary on how they use that knowledge in forums like these relative to those other coaches who know more than 100% of those doing the commentary. Sometimes the commentary is insightful, sometimes it is downright stupid (such as those who have suggested he is not still a great coach). You can still know that you just saw a bad movie without being an expert on acting, directing and cinematography.
And it's the right of posters to call out the complete idiots who wanted to fire GP this last week.

The part to me that is so amazing is how people don't understand the difficult spot GMFP is in because of the QB situation. It's very difficult to win with a true freshman QB. And GMFP probably has Delton 2 because with a strong defense you can win by controlling the ball and making few mistakes. That part hasn't worked because the defense hasn't been strong. People think Collins would win games but I'm not sure why - he went 1-2 last year. But Patterson wants to grow Max up (looks like it's working) by playing him. And Delton has hardly played so we should stop worrying who the backup is.

But the bottom line is that Duggan is improving. Likely not fast enough to save this season but you never know.

TCUownstheBig12

We beat an average (at best) and banged up UT team at home by 10. We are still 4-3 with a loss to SMU (at home). We did not just go 13-0 and qualify for the playoffs.

I think the fan base can still be upset/angry with how 2019 has gone...and can lay some of that blame on GP and/or his subordinates.

I don’t think anyone truly believes they understand football better than GP...and even hall of fame caliber coaches have bad years...and areas where they aren’t always stellar.

ftwfrog

So does Cumbie.

I’ve been down on GP for the past year and a half, and I know we are simply not allowed to call out a coach making 100x the salary that I do, but we can still hate the offensive coordinator right?? Even though he opened up the playbook yesterday and called a great 2nd half?

Froggy Style

Cumbie finally starts calling some deep posts, a single crossing route, and one pulling guard play, rather than fades & 4 yard stop routes...Gary starts rushing three, rather than blitzing everyone rather than covering the WRs...just as we've been calling for for two years. Question is, why did they wait 6 1/2 games to start?

...but yes, I guess if you want to compare the coaches to Internet forum complainers, our point is already made. The coaches needed to step up their games.

froginmn

Cumbie finally starts calling some deep posts, a single crossing route, and one pulling guard play, rather than fades & 4 yard stop routes...Gary starts rushing three, rather than blitzing everyone rather than covering the WRs...just as we've been calling for for two years. Question is, why did they wait 6 1/2 games to start?
Who knows? Maybe they have been calling plays that they knew a true freshman could execute on, rather than putting him into situations where they thought he might fail and lose confidence in himself.

Froggy Style

Who knows? Maybe they have been calling plays that they knew a true freshman could execute on, rather than putting him into situations where they thought he might fail and lose confidence in himself.
Calling a pulling guard play is hardly different for the freshman and how he hands the ball off. Yes, I'm thrilled we tried it once. How about twice? Five times? Throwing a post route is not harder than a fade route. Having a WR cross another WR's crossing route is a simple concept for basic high school QB, let alone Duggan a coaches son starting for a power 5 school. We do it once on the first drive to get a first down to Raegor, but don't again for the entire game and Reagor only has one more catch...maybe target.

The first half of this game was mostly the same crap and we finally openned it up right before they pull away, either because he decided to, or Gary did...and not because Duggan is a simpleton...it's because Cumbie's gameplan is. We pull DA on third downs and then leave Sewo in for 10 plays despite everyone saying our best RB is in the shape of his life.

Cumbie's plays have been boring as hell except against Kansas. It has truly been inexplicable.

Last edited:

Limey Frog

I haven't seen a single critical post about Duggan. The consensus is that he's supremely talented and obviously the "future of the program" QB we'd all hoped. That's exactly why he needs the best possible offensive coaching around him.

Yes, GP knows more than all off us. Duh. But he's not perfect, and his knowledge doesn't mean that anyone less knowledgeable is thereby incapable of seeing his flaws. Duggan is great; GP is a genius who is too loyal to his subordinates; I'm thrilled that we beat UT; I hope we win out; this win doesn't in itself restore my faith in our position coaches. These things are not inherently contradictory.

Moose Stuff

Can someone please tell what the proper behavioral protocol is for when OSU beats us by 20 next weekend?

Seriously though..... the people acting like we just beat Alabama and everything is perfect again are just as bad if not worse than the people they’re criticizing for thinking it’s time for Gary to go.

robbroyy

It’s all about risk/reward. Longer plays are riskier because they can lead to more sacks and if the QB doesn’t have touch then it’s more risk than reward. Duggan showed he’s improved greatly in 6.5 games so now the deep ball is in play and if they back off he can run it.

Defensively you need to have a lead to play the style they did today. Dropping 8 is allowing the QB run and giving up pressure. But UT needed to score so they were forced to try to throw instead of just taking 7 yards at a time.

The coaches didn’t magically get smarter or just try new things because the old ones weren’t working. The PLAYERS showed they could be trusted to call the game they did. You’ll always be a better coach with better players.

Moose Stuff

It’s all about risk/reward. Longer plays are riskier because they can lead to more sacks and if the QB doesn’t have touch then it’s more risk than reward. Duggan showed he’s improved greatly in 6.5 games so now the deep ball is in play and if they back off he can run it.

Defensively you need to have a lead to play the style they did today. Dropping 8 is allowing the QB run and giving up pressure. But UT needed to score so they were forced to try to throw instead of just taking 7 yards at a time.

The coaches didn’t magically get smarter or just try new things because the old ones weren’t working. The PLAYERS showed they could be trusted to call the game they did. You’ll always be a better coach with better players.

Good points. And I would add that every team in America is exponentially better when they force 4 turnovers as opposed to the previous two games when we had exactly zero.

netty2424

Good points. And I would add that every team in America is exponentially better when they force 4 turnovers as opposed to the previous two games when we had exactly zero.
The turnovers have been rarely mentioned this weekend. That’s a big of a factor as any. Crazy how a few plays made by players can make coaches look like they are at the top of their game.

froginmn

Calling a pulling guard play is hardly different for the freshman and how he hands the ball off. Yes, I'm thrilled we tried it once. How about twice? Five times? Throwing a post route is not harder than a fade route. Having a WR cross another WR's crossing route is a simple concept for basic high school QB, let alone Duggan a coaches son starting for a power 5 school. We do it once on the first drive to get a first down to Raegor, but don't again for the entire game and Reagor only has one more catch...maybe target.

The first half of this game was mostly the same crap and we finally openned it up right before they pull away, either because he decided to, or Gary did...and not because Duggan is a simpleton...it's because Cumbie's gameplan is. We pull DA on third downs and then leave Sewo in for 10 plays despite everyone saying our best RB is in the shape of his life.

Cumbie's plays have been boring as hell except against Kansas. It has truly been inexplicable.
Any of that can be true and it's still also true and undeniable that it takes time for a true freshman to adjust to the college game.

Latest posts