• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson is ‘not OK’ with growing pains of young QB. So how will the Frogs adjust?

Moose Stuff

Fair enough. I can tell from reading most posts that the bar and expectation level for the offense is very, very low, which is fine if that's the way everyone feels. I was somewhat encouraged by the offense in the 2nd half but good god, when is the last time the offense actually won a game for us?

That they can go the first seven possessions and come away with -4 points and that's still considered "giving the team a chance to win" speaks volumes.

I think it’s probably fair to digest the game as a whole and not just dwell on the first half. What they did in the first half didn’t give us a chance to win. What they did in the second half did.

Mean Purple

The defense has not been good....at all. But I for the life of me don't understand how you can watch this offense and think it is anything but bad. Good god, we completed ONE freaking pass in the entire first half against SMU. In the first half against ISU our offense scored -4 points.
I think the defense has played solid at times. They played great against Kansas. If you look at how OU played them on D, we hold up very well by comparison.
We did play well on D and Offense in the second half of SMU.

Just a matter of putting it together for a whole game. (Which we did with kansas. just have to do it with higher level squads.) Shutting down a route is shutting down a route, no matter the team.

Mean Purple

KH played better in 17 because Dykes was here as offensive analyst and simplified the offense to what Kenny was good at. He still struggled with throws beyond 15 yards, but Dykes put him in better situations to succeed.
Offense was pretty similar to what Kenny ran the previous year. I could see where Dykes maybe had an impact how calls were schemed, but the offense for 2016 and 2017 were pretty much the same, as I recall.
Now, you could argue that Kenny's improvement in year two was him knowing the system more and having games back under his belt, as opposed to being developed by SC. But it would be hard to explain why.

Moose Stuff

And if we’re being honest we DID have a chance to win that game. We’re down 11 with 10 minutes left and Max has put up 21 points in the span of about 11 minutes. At that point the defense again goes full on Swiss cheese and Reagor then fumbles the kickoff. Who knows what happens if the defense gets a stop there instead.

Froggish

And if we’re being honest we DID have a chance to win that game. We’re down 11 with 10 minutes left and Max has put up 21 points in the span of about 11 minutes. At that point the defense again goes full on Swiss cheese and Reagor then fumbles the kickoff. Who knows what happens if the defense gets a stop there instead.

Against both SMU and ISU the defense folded on back breakingly critical possessions. They killed any chance at a comeback..

Wexahu

We get it, you love you some Max Duggan, but gosh, throwing everyone else under the bus for all the mistakes and then almost crediting him alone for the good little stretch is a bit much.

Wexahu

Against both SMU and ISU the defense folded on back breakingly critical possessions. They killed any chance at a comeback..

Yes, they did. Had a chance to kind of get back in the game and they folded like a cheap suit. By and large though the most critical possessions in any game IMO are the first few. They just set the tone for the entire game. The offense came out absolutely sputtering in both losses this year and kind of got us back on our heels in both games.

Chongo94

Yes, they did. Had a chance to kind of get back in the game and they folded like a cheap suit. By and large though the most critical possessions in any game IMO are the first few. They just set the tone for the entire game. The offense came out absolutely sputtering in both losses this year and kind of got us back on our heels in both games.

And that falls on the coaches in many respects.

Wexahu

And that falls on the coaches in many respects.

Absolutely, and I'm to the point where I have trouble blaming Cumbie because I think he's operating with one arm tied behind his back. Don't know if he's any good or not but I'm not sure we'll ever know unless GP lets him do things his way, which I doubt he is right now.

H0RNEDFR0G

Seems to me that Duggan is much, much better than SR was. I'm not at all worried about Max. The defense on Sat was just plain shocking, however. The defense looked like they didn't know what they were doing, which is really weird for a TCU defense.

Out of ISU's 436 yards of total offense, 254 of it (58%) came on just 9 plays. Look at this 44 yard rush by Purdy. ISU scored the first TD of the day on the next play:

Iowa State lines up in 20 Personnel, Trips Right: 3 WR, 1 RB, 1 FB, 0 TE. Gladney #12, is the outside man on the right edge. His one job is to turn anything that goes outside, back to the center of the field.

Ball snaps, Gladney crashes in and allows the FB to drive him inside. You absolutely HAVE to get outside of that block and make the QB turn inside. There is no way in hell HCGMFP hasn't told this to him 100 times. The guy is a senior, on his 29th? start.

Purdy gets around Gladney, Vernon Scott #26 sees that Gladney failed to turn him inside and attempts to get outside leverage... only, he overshoots it. Daniels, #21, bit on the play action and so did Moehrig.

This was the longest play of the day for ISU. It's pretty clear to me that if Gladney turns Purdy inside, that Scott or Daniels would've cleaned it up. Even if they miss, it gives Moehrig a much better chance to keep this from going 44 yards.

I don't mean to pick on Gladney here. Several players blew their assignment every time one of these 9 plays went for over 20 yards. The only reason I'm showing this one is because it illustrates how badly the big play hurt us, when Iowa State wasn't really doing anything fancy. These types of blown assignments proved to be incredibly costly.

HFrog12

Out of ISU's 436 yards of total offense, 254 of it (58%) came on just 9 plays. Look at this 44 yard rush by Purdy. ISU scored the first TD of the day on the next play:

Iowa State lines up in 20 Personnel, Trips Right: 3 WR, 1 RB, 1 FB, 0 TE. Gladney #12, is the outside man on the right edge. His one job is to turn anything that goes outside, back to the center of the field.

Ball snaps, Gladney crashes in and allows the FB to drive him inside. You absolutely HAVE to get outside of that block and make the QB turn inside. There is no way in hell HCGMFP hasn't told this to him 100 times. The guy is a senior, on his 29th? start.

Purdy gets around Gladney, Vernon Scott #26 sees that Gladney failed to turn him inside and attempts to get outside leverage... only, he overshoots it. Daniels, #21, bit on the play action and so did Moehrig.

This was the longest play of the day for ISU. It's pretty clear to me that if Gladney turns Purdy inside, that Scott or Daniels would've cleaned it up. Even if they miss, it gives Moehrig a much better chance to keep this from going 44 yards.

I don't mean to pick on Gladney here. Several players blew their assignment every time one of these 9 plays went for over 20 yards. The only reason I'm showing this one is because it illustrates how badly the big play hurt us, when Iowa State wasn't really doing anything fancy. These types of blown assignments proved to be incredibly costly.

Great analysis and point on defensive leverage. This is the key to GP's scheme and if your seasoned players can't grasp it then it won't work.

wilson912

Remember when Andy came up. Patterson in those days, don't throw interceptions, make sure the receiver is ready and your technique is correct. I understand that, but when you stand back there 4-5-6- seconds, ready for everything to fall into place the defense reads your eyes and that gives the entire defense time to read your social security card. It's good and bad! Why not practice the procedure over and over again until you don't have wait, hope and hunt? Break away from timed practice sequences once in a while and be flexible.

Even Andy will admit he was not good, not good at all, those first 2-2.5 years. Ridiculous to be this impatient with Duggan.

Eight

Over the past few years, our defense has always played its worst when the team falls behind.

Our defense plays so much better from ahead for some reason.

maybe because teams when down usually are forced into a certain style of play and gary is good at attacking one dimensional offenses.

however, when an opposing offense is effectively balanced and then throws in tempo, well.....

tenor.gif

Rabidfrog

Everybody is piling on the defense, and yes Saturday’s performance was not good, but I still think the number one issue facing this team is the question mark at QB. If you don’t have a QB you can trust, you have a chance to lose every game no matter how lights out the D is.
The D helped us win games with a tepid O even last year.

Moose Stuff

Wex loves to hone in on a single detail or twoand just pound you over the head with it whether it has anything to do with what you're talking about or not. He's not great with nuance or multilayered discussions.
Things I wrote.....

Max played poorly in the first half but played well enough in the second to give us a chance to win.
The defense played as bad or worse than the offense.
The coaches probably weren’t any better.

Things he chose to see.....

I love Max Duggan.
I threw everyone else under the bus.
Max scored 21 points all by himself.

AroundWorldFrog

Is the way Gary runs his defense and the complicated schemes passé? Seems like any balanced offense shreds it anymore. Since it's his legacy contribution to football, is he too stubborn to change?

AroundWorldFrog

Things I wrote.....

Max played poorly in the first half but played well enough in the second to give us a chance to win.
The defense played as bad or worse than the offense.
The coaches probably weren’t any better.

Things he chose to see.....

I love Max Duggan.
I threw everyone else under the bus.
Max scored 21 points all by himself.
Wex's schtick got put on ignore about two years ago.