• The KillerFrogs

TCU defense vs Purdue historical context

robbroyy

People want to use the QB as the reason we shut Purdue down. So I did some research and here’s where the 204 yards allowed rank historically.

Fewest allowed overall since 198 Iowa State at home last year

Fewest allowed away from home since Peach Bowl - 129 in 2014. (Another game where all we heard was how great the opponent was going to be)

Fewest allowed in a true road game since 130 at New Mexico - 2010

Bottom line is in the 9 years since 2010 there’s been a lot less talented offenses than we saw last night. Rondale Moore may be somewhat overhyped but he’s a VERY good player. We just took him out. That was a special performance in a great atmosphere. 60,000 at night.

MTfrog5

Shutting down Rondale was what was most impressive to me. Consistent pressure from the DL (often just 3) as well. Many guys played well ..... thought Wallow, TMW, and the two freshmen Winters and Stewart all had good nights.
Winters is going to be really good before the year is over. In 3 weeks he’s already flying to the ball

VA Froggie

Shutting down Rondale was what was most impressive to me. Consistent pressure from the DL (often just 3) as well. Many guys played well ..... thought Wallow, TMW, and the two freshmen Winters and Stewart all had good nights.
Let me add one, we have a great running offense, great offensive line or Purdue forgot to show up.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Indy Star writer for Purdue made some good points:

Didn’t think Sindelar would have made much of a difference. Stats overblown against Nevada and Vanderbilt. TCU plays real defense.

Moore had only three targets because he couldn’t get open.

Freshman quarterback first start at home, TCU had a freshman too...playing on the road in front of a hostile crowd bigger than he has played in front of. This is a wash, not an excuse.

TCU had grown men on both lines and speed everywhere else.

Indy Star writer for Purdue made some good points:

Didn’t think Sindelar would have made much of a difference. Stats overblown against Nevada and Vanderbilt. TCU plays real defense.

Moore had only three targets because he couldn’t get open.

Freshman quarterback first start at home, TCU had a freshman too...playing on the road in front of a hostile crowd bigger than he has played in front of. This is a wash, not an excuse.

TCU had grown men on both lines and speed everywhere else.
Plus Duggan is a true freshman and Plummer a redshirt

Froggish

A couple of plays by Winters were extremely cold...:)...On the play where Moehrig whiffed on their bigTE he ran him down and might have saved a TD...and when closed on their scrambling QB like a rocket. It was awesome. He and Wallow have potential to make a great duo over the next few years

stbrab

I thought Millen’s comment early on was spot on. He quoted Coach P saying he wasn’t that concerned about Moore’s speed because we have 14 or 15 guys just as fast. He was concerned about his strength. The advantage of speed we had was evident all night...offense and defense.

robbroyy

I thought Millen’s comment early on was spot on. He quoted Coach P saying he wasn’t that concerned about Moore’s speed because we have 14 or 15 guys just as fast. He was concerned about his strength. The advantage of speed we had was evident all night...offense and defense.
Best Millen quote of the night was saying it didn’t matter without Sindelar. It was a clearly home team slanted broadcast which I understand being on the BTN, but he was very honest in saying which was the better team

Purp

A couple of plays by Winters were extremely cold...:)...On the play where Moehrig whiffed on their bigTE he ran him down and might have saved a TD...and when closed on their scrambling QB like a rocket. It was awesome. He and Wallow have potential to make a great duo over the next few years
Don't think Wallow has that much eligibility left, but one can dream.

Froggish

Don't think Wallow has that much eligibility left, but one can dream.

True...meant this year and next. Wallow is a Junior..If Winters continues to develop and both stay healthy, next year we will have a phenomenal LB core with a ton of really good depth built up.