• The KillerFrogs

Around the horn w/2019 Opponents

Froggish

Thought I would start a thread for people to talk about and drop any info they are hearing on our 2019 Opponents. A few things I’m hearing

1. Purdue lost starting RB for the season to a broken jaw. New starter had 14 carries last year and Brohm has said he will line Rondell up in the backfield some to find creative ways to get him the ball.

2. KSt - Lost starting FB other then that haven’t heard much

3. ISU is unsure of their WR group. They are going to utilize a lot of two TE sets and a physical run game. They have a true Freshman 4star RB who is balling out and might win the starting RB gig. Insiders are in agreement that this is their best Def in 30+ years. QB and OL are big time strengths on offense.

4. OU, to no surprise, names Hurts the starter and they love their Freshman WR. Def is lighter and faster under Grinch but have some injuries. RFR DB Starrland Baldwin rumors of entering the portal.

5. Baylor - Not much but early scrimmages have been sloppy and turnover prone. Ebner looks really good and could end up the every down featured back EDIT: Baylor Still sux!

6.TT - 2 Freshman have gone down to season ending injuries and they picked up another Grad Transfer. A CB from Wells old school Utah St. 2 years to play

That’s it....Anybody hearing stuff they can

Last edited:

Wexahu

Thought I would start a thread for people to talk about and drop any info they are hearing on our 2019 Opponents. A few things I’m hearing

1. Purdue lost starting RB for the season to a broken jaw. New starter had 14 carries last year and Brohm has said he will line Rondell up in the backfield some to find creative ways to get him the ball.

2. KSt - Lost starting FB other then that haven’t heard much

3. ISU is unsure of their WR group. They are going to utilize a lot of two TE sets and a physical run game. They have a true Freshman 4star RB who is balling out and might win the starting RB gig. Insiders are in agreement that this is their best Def in 30+ years. QB and OL are big time strengths on offense.

4. OU, to no surprise, names Hurts the starter and they love their Freshman WR. Def is lighter and faster under Grinch but have some injuries. RFR DB Starrland Baldwin rumors of entering the portal.

5. Baylor - Not much but early scrimmages have been sloppy and turnover prone. Ebner looks really good and could end up the every down featured back

6.TT - 2 Freshman have gone down to season ending injuries and they picked up another Grad Transfer. A CB from Wells old school Utah St. 2 years to play

I might be naive, but I'll believe ISU is all that when I see it. This might be a case where they've been bad for so long that once they have a decent team they get over-hyped. They aren't going to sneak up on anyone anymore, that's for sure.

I think they'll be a decent team but it just seems like everyone is on that bandwagon and it's not like they've been reeling in Top 25 recruiting classes as of late. Their last 4 classes have been ranked 55, 52, 55 and 46 (2019). I think they probably still have some pretty serious depth issues across their roster.

Froggish

Added on OU from their insider report.

OL - Concerned about the lack of experience. Talents there but no skins on the wall. Potential injury with one of their OTs

Def will attack with 5 DB base (surprise surprise)..

Froggish

I might be naive, but I'll believe ISU is all that when I see it. This might be a case where they've been bad for so long that once they have a decent team they get over-hyped. They aren't going to sneak up on anyone anymore, that's for sure.

I think they'll be a decent team but it just seems like everyone is on that bandwagon and it's not like they've been reeling in Top 25 recruiting classes as of late. Their last 4 classes have been ranked 55, 52, 55 and 46 (2019). I think they probably still have some pretty serious depth issues across their roster.

I get it but at least on paper there is something to like about their def. There was essentially very little statistical difference between TCUs def and the ISU def. in fact they gave up less PPG and have 8 started back on def. There style of play..run first and methodical also helps them play good defense.

I’m not sold on the offense either but Campbell appears to be the kind of coach that prepares them well and they play better then their talent

jake102

I don't think a lot of people have Iowa State winning the Big 12 or make the playoff, but they seem a good threat to go 9-3 which is pretty scary, especially since we play there at night

ThisIsOurTime

Just looking at our schedule. It is going to be very important that we remain as healthy as we can because we have the two bye weeks early in the season. We are probably going to have to find a way to win a couple games when we aren't running at full strength just due to the general wear and tear players get from playing several games in a row week after week. However, we should be in good shape for the Iowa State game and the front end of the KSU, UT and OkState games. But we may be limping into some games around Baylor, Tech and OU.

TechAdvisor

Alan Bowman is looking sharp. The offense is going to be fast and physical but there isn't a true TE to run Yost's offense like he wants it just yet.

The defense has moved two starting CB's to SS & FS. Don't know if that means the Safety depth just wasn't very good or there is plenty of talent at CB and just want the 4 best players on the field.

Reading between the lines, Wells is tempering expectations, hinting that the personnel isn't there just yet and his offense always looks better in year 2.

Wexahu

If we are both undefeated, I’ll be shocked if it’s not at night. Decent chance of that happening imo

I'm not sure there's a more overrated phenomenon than the idea that it's so much more difficult to win road games at night than during the day. I'm not sure it's any harder in reality, and I'm not sure why it would be. I've never understood the fear of night games. As I think of all our road games in the Big 12, I think I'm pretty sure that we've been more successful in 7:00 starts than during the day. And more successful in 2:30 or 3:30 games than 11:00 starts.

May be wrong but I don't think any facts support that it's harder to win at night, at least not for TCU. We usually look the worst and most sluggish in the early starts away from home.

Limp Lizard

ISU can play good defense and they have a proven QB...if he doesn't come down with Sophomoritis. A good QB can make the WR's look better than they really are.

It will be interesting to see if anyone besides Snyder can win at KSU. Certainly what this guy has, on paper, is perfect; coached a school which is very hard to recruit to, in the middle of nowhere, but fields great teams. But I still have enough belief that Snyder was a supernatural wizard that I have hope that my concerns are unfounded.

I am just holding my breath hoping for no more big injuries. I hate it when we limp into a season.

MTfrog5

I'm not sure there's a more overrated phenomenon than the idea that it's so much more difficult to win road games at night than during the day. I'm not sure it's any harder in reality, and I'm not sure why it would be. I've never understood the fear of night games. As I think of all our road games in the Big 12, I think I'm pretty sure that we've been more successful in 7:00 starts than during the day. And more successful in 2:30 or 3:30 games than 11:00 starts.

May be wrong but I don't think any facts support that it's harder to win at night, at least not for TCU. We usually look the worst and most sluggish in the early starts away from home.
I’d be interested in the research for each game time

jake102

I just know that in some of TCU's best home game atmospheres, they have almost exclusively been at night. And the team has responded. But yeah, you definitely are right that it seems like 11am road games aren't good for us.

Purp

Agreed. Cyclones take down their in state rival Iowa and we get through Purdue, I think we are both going to be ranked and a night game is likely.
The best Fox game this year will be the 11am slot so this paradigm is no longer as reliable as it once was.

Froggish

The best Fox game this year will be the 11am slot so this paradigm is no longer as reliable as it once was.

Based on the schedule that week both teams should be 4-0 and probably the best matchup of the week so may 11am will be it. Although Okie St / TT will be entertaining that day as well

Casey T

7. UT - they lost most of their defensive starters and the majority of their OL starters but all their fans claim the backups are better... feel like I've heard that before

Froggish

7. UT - they lost most of their defensive starters and the majority of their OL starters but all their fans claim the backups are better... feel like I've heard that before

I do think they could be pretty explosive on Offense but their defense should take a significant step back..