• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Completion date for TCU football stadium expansion could be delayed, athletic director says

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: Completion date for TCU football stadium expansion could be delayed, athletic director says

By Dean Straka , Sports Digital Editor
Contact Dean Straka on Twitter: @dwstraka49

The latest major expansion project for TCU athletics may have work still left to be done by the time TCU football kicks off the 2019 regular season vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Aug. 31.

TCU athletic director Jeremiah Donati, during an Instagram Live Q&A on Thursday, said construction for the east-side expansion of Amon G. Carter Stadium is roughly a month behind schedule due to delays caused by inclement weather this past fall.

Read more at https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...-expansioncould-delayed-athletic-directorsays

BABYFACE

While easier said than done; the GC needs to start planning out which contractors in his network that has the manpower to run 2-3 shifts daily when the east side expansion gets dried in(enclosed). This is where a lot of lost time can be made up if you got work going on 16-24 hours a day.

Last edited:
While easier said than done; the GC needs to start planning out which contractors in his network that has the manpower to run 2-3 shifts daily when the east side expansion gets dried in(enclosed). This where a lot of lost time can be made up if you got work going on 16-24 hours a day.
I have never seen Del Conte furious but for two occasions: 1) Every time he was in the AGCS status update meetings with HKS; and 2) Every time he was in the Schollmaier Arena status update meetings with HKS. On occasion the guy threw stuff at the wall in frustration and everyone had their heads down. There was a lot of "I suppose you will be covering that then [referring to an overage] " and "cut me a check for that **** up."

No doubt ADJD will be on top of it.

LeagueCityFrog

If they aren't on time, TCU Athletics should just do a reduced rate and only charge the people that bought in on this East side for maybe 4 games instead of all 6 home games. If it is not ready in time and they should just find somewhere to park those eastside people during the first two games on TCU's dollar and call it good.

What I wouldn't do is have people go into this high dollar investment and it isn't near 98% done. Complaints will ensue and it's a bad first impression of the money they spent. High end hotels don't open their doors until they know they got their stuff locked down on all experience fronts.

Maybe just have an Eastside blow out grand opening during the first home conference game on Saturday, September 28th and make it a first-class experience.

jake102

Or...the contractors need to start complying with the deliverables.

I’m sure this will offend some, but having a decent amount of experience with GCs in the residential space, I simply don’t understand why they are so incompetent when it comes to timing. They always run over, why not set expectations? The old under promise, over deliver... it always works in the long run.

Hell Sent Frog

Or...the contractors need to start complying with the deliverables.

You talk like a non-doer with a paper rear end.
For this type of project and the blue chip GC you're working with, most of the delays you encounter are not going to be the fault of the contractor.
`You're the type of person that big time contractors look forward to taking to court and making their biggest profits, from construction claims.
If TCU is forcing this contractor to continue to meet a very tight original schedule and there have been delays and many or most of the delays are more the fault of TCU due to changes, etc., this opens TCU to what could be a large "acceleration" and loss of efficiency construction claim.
You're money ahead by working with the contractor, especially the high-end GCs that TCU uses. Anyone in the industry knows that the best construction claim lawyers are retained by the contractors.

BABYFACE

You talk like a non-doer with a paper rear end.
For this type of project and the blue chip GC you're working with, most of the delays you encounter are not going to be the fault of the contractor.
`You're the type of person that big time contractors look forward to taking to court and making their biggest profits, from construction claims.
If TCU is forcing this contractor to continue to meet a very tight original schedule and there have been delays and many or most of the delays are more the fault of TCU due to changes, etc., this opens TCU to what could be a large "acceleration" and loss of efficiency construction claim.
You're money ahead by working with the contractor, especially the high-end GCs that TCU uses. Anyone in the industry knows that the best construction claim lawyers are retained by the contractors.

Damn, I guess this thread touched a nerve?

I have worked on the construction end and have been a GC(small time). I have no idea what the deal in place is between TCU and HKS. But I do know there will be opportunities to make up for lost time during the process. I have no idea whether that will get them back on schedule for the completion date.

I used to get irked by subs that would give mediocre results. Confronted a particular contractor over it and asked why the lack of attention to detail. His reply was that he was being paid for average work. I replied that he was being paid his bid and that he should put in a bid for good quality, not half ass work. Fired that contractor.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

I have never seen Del Conte furious but for two occasions: 1) Every time he was in the AGCS status update meetings with HKS; and 2) Every time he was in the Schollmaier Arena status update meetings with HKS. On occasion the guy threw stuff at the wall in frustration and everyone had their heads down. There was a lot of "I suppose you will be covering that then [referring to an overage] " and "cut me a check for that **** up."

No doubt ADJD will be on top of it.

Can verify a 3rd time he snaps..... when the Showgirls cut the daughter of a high dollar donor who doesn’t deserve to be on the squad but CDC wants to keep said donor happy. And when I say “snapped”...... he SNAPPED. The exact word used was “terrifying”.

Realtorfrog

Bonus incentives typically motivate companies to put in the extra work to get completed on time. However s month would be hard to make up. All this rain has made construction tough for all

Realtorfrog

Can verify a 3rd time he snaps..... when the Showgirls cut the daughter of a high dollar donor who doesn’t deserve to be on the squad but CDC wants to keep said donor happy. And when I say “snapped”...... he SNAPPED. The exact word used was “terrifying”.
Yeah Lindsay runs a tight ship. Weekly weigh ins can’t be fun.

netty2424

I’m sure this will offend some, but having a decent amount of experience with GCs in the residential space, I simply don’t understand why they are so incompetent when it comes to timing. They always run over, why not set expectations? The old under promise, over deliver... it always works in the long run.
The issue becomes the sales job on the front end in the highly competitive bidding process. Everyone’s promising fast timelines to sell their organization. If you have 3-4 companies you’re bidding against promising 6 months, and you’re saying 9 months, you’re probably out before you have a chance, despite being the most accurate.

But I completely agree with you on setting realistic expectations, it should carry more weight.

Dogfrog

I’ve done many contracts but never in contracting. Can they include financial rewards / penalties for meeting / missing milestones other than acts of god kinds of delays? or does that create too much potential for quality issues?

LeagueCityFrog

CDC bringing the heat for a cut Showgirl you say. Man...I could imagine what UT has enabled him to do to knock OU off the Big XII perch.

Regardless, I think Gary has something this coming fall that all the fans in purple will be excited to watch.

Question... If TCU wins the Big XII in football outright in 2019, do we end up jumping both OU and Texas in football recruiting ranking and cement our athletics future through 2024?

asleep003

CDC bringing the heat for a cut Showgirl you say. Man...I could imagine what UT has enabled him to do to knock OU off the Big XII perch.

Regardless, I think Gary has something this coming fall that all the fans in purple will be excited to watch.

Question... If TCU wins the Big XII in football outright in 2019, do we end up jumping both OU and Texas in football recruiting ranking and cement our athletics future through 2024?

If we had a 90K seat stadium, we might get 8-10 4*s. That's all GP needs for a NCG team. Everyone else seems to need a lot more, to get there.

WhatTheFrog

As long as I still have my row Z seats come football season, I’m good. Otherwise, let me “sit” in the student section again until they’re good to go.