• The KillerFrogs

post bowl game recruiting wish list

Eight

somehow, someway this season ended with the frogs posting an overall winning record in one of the more bizarre bowl games i can recall in quite some time and hope to never see again.

a few things became very apparent last night in regards to the frogs recruiting between now and the next signing date or i guess actually the official signing date.

1) lock down darwin barlow - the value of a strong running game became quite apparent last night as basically the only play that worked last night was hand the ball to sewo.

2) a big part of sewo having the big night was the play of the offensive line. this was easily their best game of the year running blocking as the frogs ran for 260+ when cal knew tcu could not effectively mount any type of passing game beyond a simple screen and they struggled to block that effectively.

one big change that took place in the past few games was the movement of chris gaynor to center the frogs have run for over 500 yards in their last two games. granted, jalen reagor got 83 on one run, but consider that in the 11 games prior the frogs totaled just over 1,500 yards. basically frogs without a legit passing threat upped their run game production by over 100 yards a game

go find the best available juco or interior offensive linemen available for next year. i how no problem if hollins is the center next year as wes and cordell at guards. what i want is true competition and true depth.

3) go get two more defensive ends to compete for playing time. i don't care if they are high school signees, jucos, or transfers. this defense could be very, very good next year. the secondary is talented, the interior defensive line could be very good, there is potential at linebacker and it would be a damn shame if the frogs can't fill the defensive ends position.

4) a grad transfer quarterback. if max duggan can come in and win the starting job great, but if the frogs get just competent quarterback play last night that game is a blowout. frogs don't have to get a quarterback to carry the team next year, but they need one to make the basic plays and right now no one has locked down that position

i recognize other changes overall need to be made. i think there need to be some philosophical changes in the offense, someone needs to figure out that damn rotation thing at wide receiver, and can will get competent special teams play?

all that aside you still have to have players and these are 4 areas i think it was apparent watching last night need to be addressed for the future of the program

FrogLifeYo

Thinking about a Gladney, Lewis, Gaines, Moerig, Scott secondary makes me pretty excited when you consider The following

Interior DL- Ross, Bethley, Cooper, Ellis

LB - Wallow...(Need another LB Grad transfer)

That’s 7-8 returners who have played significant high level quarters when it matters. Experience returning at every level..DEF should be very good next year

MTfrog5

Thinking about a Gladney, Lewis, Gaines, Moerig, Scott secondary makes me pretty excited when you consider The following

Interior DL- Ross, Bethley, Cooper, Ellis

LB - Wallow...(Need another LB Grad transfer)

That’s 7-8 returners who have played significant high level quarters when it matters. Experience returning at every level..DEF should be very good next year
Think Ben Wilson will be playing LB as well. Looked good in the Baylor game

Wexahu

i think there need to be some philosophical changes in the offense, someone needs to figure out that damn rotation thing at wide receiver

As far as I can tell, we're going to have for the most part the same group of coaches and players trying to get it done on offense next year, and honestly that's scary as hell. The ineptness of that group was jaw dropping at times. I know this is a recruiting thread, but some things about the way these players are coached and used HAS to change or it won't matter how many holes we fill with late signees.

LeagueCityFrog

1. Grad transfer quarterback like say Jalen Hurts.
2. Another center
3. Another guard
4. A kicker who can make more than 35 yard kicks
5. A new offensive staff saving only Luper and Thomsen, Cumbie can go back to TCU qb coach. We badly need a legit talent developing coach at wide receiver. There has to be a couple of these type of coaches in the State of Texas.

I think if we address these 5 things, with our easier 2019 schedule minus playing at OU, I think we compete again for the Big XII crown.

Next year's defense is going to be sick if we stay healthy. Football gods swing in our favor in 2019.

DickBumpastache

Frankly I wouldn’t mind if 30-40% of every single recruiting class was OL. We rarely have the size, depth, or overall talent required to dominate week-in and week-out like we need.

It’d be great to get another gamebreaker like Tamauzia Brown, because the odds of him actually getting here seem to be zero. But otherwise I think this is a damn good class, especially if we get Barlow in the fold.

TRF51

I think we need another outside WR opposite Reagor, I was hoping one of the Freshman would step up and be that guy but I was not impressed with what limited time they got and apparently the coaches agree with me or else they would have been starting all year because those who did play did next to nothing.

asleep003

somehow, someway this season ended with the frogs posting an overall winning record in one of the more bizarre bowl games i can recall in quite some time and hope to never see again.

a few things became very apparent last night in regards to the frogs recruiting between now and the next signing date or i guess actually the official signing date.

1) lock down darwin barlow - the value of a strong running game became quite apparent last night as basically the only play that worked last night was hand the ball to sewo.

2) a big part of sewo having the big night was the play of the offensive line. this was easily their best game of the year running blocking as the frogs ran for 260+ when cal knew tcu could not effectively mount any type of passing game beyond a simple screen and they struggled to block that effectively.

one big change that took place in the past few games was the movement of chris gaynor to center the frogs have run for over 500 yards in their last two games. granted, jalen reagor got 83 on one run, but consider that in the 11 games prior the frogs totaled just over 1,500 yards. basically frogs without a legit passing threat upped their run game production by over 100 yards a game

go find the best available juco or interior offensive linemen available for next year. i how no problem if hollins is the center next year as wes and cordell at guards. what i want is true competition and true depth.

3) go get two more defensive ends to compete for playing time. i don't care if they are high school signees, jucos, or transfers. this defense could be very, very good next year. the secondary is talented, the interior defensive line could be very good, there is potential at linebacker and it would be a damn shame if the frogs can't fill the defensive ends position.

4) a grad transfer quarterback. if max duggan can come in and win the starting job great, but if the frogs get just competent quarterback play last night that game is a blowout. frogs don't have to get a quarterback to carry the team next year, but they need one to make the basic plays and right now no one has locked down that position

i recognize other changes overall need to be made. i think there need to be some philosophical changes in the offense, someone needs to figure out that damn rotation thing at wide receiver, and can will get competent special teams play?

all that aside you still have to have players and these are 4 areas i think it was apparent watching last night need to be addressed for the future of the program
1) A little early on Barlow; never saw him on video, even in 3A ball, show any kind of performance/toughness resembling what we saw Sewo do against a P5 defense
this past Wed nite. But yes, another quality RB would be great.

2) The OL did do well last nite. However, what I saw from the 30 yard line, 30 rows up on about a dozen plays, by Sewo... was a bowling ball going right thru a set of bowling pins and those pins flying every where. It reminded me of the Tyler Rose, who pounded and pounded until they were just beaten up and softened up, then usually got majority of his yards the 2nd half.

So Sewo gets every bit or more of the credit for the rushing performance as this was probably the very best D the frogs have seen all year. The OL failed miserably on the pass protection and most any QB was not going to have the best of nights. Like all the 3 prospects at QB next year, as long as we can give any of them reasonable pass protection. Really liked what I saw in Collins, with the coolness/arm/smarts/and
solid wheels for a big guy... lots of obvious upside.

3) Totally agree

4) Would defer to the 2nd paragraph of my #2 ... though to rent QB depth for 1 year couldn't hurt while developing the lack of experience of 2, though talented, at QB.

Last edited:

asleep003

I think we need another outside WR opposite Reagor, I was hoping one of the Freshman would step up and be that guy but I was not impressed with what limited time they got and apparently the coaches agree with me or else they would have been starting all year because those who did play did next to nothing.

Yes ... it is obvious how a quality D like Cal's secondary can focus on Reagor, hard rush on the QB, can stop us. We have to have that 2nd explosive or go to guy. However it's more about CGP getting committed to bringing in that real professional receivers coach to teach them what they are not getting now. We may already have that 1 or 2 WR that can be that player, with a top WR's coach.

OmniscienceFrog

A wall or steel slats around the playing field to keep staff from invading the playing space and I’d be proud to shut down school until we get the funding. Did Earl really retire?
We had steel slats around the playing field once upon a time. How do you think Earl came to be able to retire?

MTfrog5

Yes ... it is obvious how a quality D like Cal's secondary can focus on Reagor, hard rush on the QB, can stop us. We have to have that 2nd explosive or go to guy. However it's more about CGP getting committed to bringing in that real professional receivers coach to teach them what they are not getting now. We may already have that 1 or 2 WR that can be that player, with a top WR's coach.
While I agree with TCU needing more than Reagor to step up, none of that matters if you have a QB who can’t do anything.

kidkarr

As far as I can tell, we're going to have for the most part the same group of coaches and players trying to get it done on offense next year, and honestly that's scary as hell. The ineptness of that group was jaw dropping at times. I know this is a recruiting thread, but some things about the way these players are coached and used HAS to change or it won't matter how many holes we fill with late signees.
I disagree to some extent. If we can get someone to hit 50% on the deep ball, a whole lot will change. In bowl game, our guys were open but the passes were no where close. That’s not bad coaching or play calling, that’s bad passes and all three of our guys have done it.