• The KillerFrogs

Lincoln Riley to the Browns?

Eight

Because recruiting and answering to academia seem like an asswhip to me. Also once you have a swim through the pros it looks like you can always land a gig there

you think lincoln, bob, barry, and bud answered to academia?

might have to take a meeting, but which is worse. listening to a university president who really doesn't control your future or an nfl owner who has no clue what he is doing and won't stay out of the way in cleveland

granted, lincoln most likely would be able to get a college hc job if he decided to leave the nfl, but would it be at the level of ou?

Wexahu

no, no it isn't.

you do realize it is not uncommon for teams to have players followed and in the case of guys like pac man literally provided a driver to try to keep him out of trouble.

boykin's struggles after college are not an isolated case. marcus peters, pacman, randy gregory, those issues simply aren't handled by the league office

hell know a guy who signed a new contract in march, goes out and gets so drunk he and the driver of the car fall asleep on the shoulder of the new jersey turnpike in may. oh, forgot he was carrying a pistol with hollow points which is a big no-no in new jersey, and then gets suspended in august for ped's.

the last guy was a incredibly talented dumb ass in high school, same in college, and only got dumber in the nfl because he had money to get in even worse trouble

You're ignoring the obvious difference though. In college discipline and how your player's conduct themselves is considered at least part (and a fairly significant part) of a head coach's responsibility. In the NFL it is not. Player X gets arrested for domestic battery in college, that school and how they handled the situation is investigated and how the head coach runs his program is called into question. Player X gets arrested for domestic battery in the pros, that player is suspended by the league, another player is brought in and nobody really gives a crap because it's not an NFL team's responsibility to babysit grown men. Yes, you have to still win but that's the only thing that matters in the NFL. Some coaches like that I'm sure.

Eight

You're ignoring the obvious difference though. In college discipline and how your player's conduct themselves is considered at least part (and a fairly significant part) of a head coach's responsibility. In the NFL it is not. Player X gets arrested for domestic battery in college, that school and how they handled the situation is investigated and how the head coach runs his program is called into question. Player X gets arrested for domestic battery in the pros, that player is suspended by the league, another player is brought in and nobody really gives a crap because it's not an NFL team's responsibility to babysit grown men. Yes, you have to still win but that's the only thing that matters in the NFL. Some coaches like that I'm sure.

you honestly don't believe head coaches in the nfl are not involved in discipline issues? that they don't deal with things in some cases on a regular basis that never gets to the nfl

do you think the nfl told the chiefs to get rid of marcus peters or do you think andy reid just got tired of dealing with his [ Finebaum ]

was it the nfl who told jimmy johnson to tell charles haley to get his freaking act straight or get ready to get cut after the niners had already gotten rid of haley

go look at all the things the giants tried to do to keep lawrence taylor somewhat under control

you have this perception that the nfl is the cop and the coaches don't deal with these matters and that just isn't correct

add in agents, crazy family members, wives, girl friends, the media, and do you honestly believe that money doesn't magnify these issues

this is akin to saying all the frat house [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] stops at the doors or the investment banking houses and hedge funds.

BABYFACE

Wex, you may not be taking into account the small rosters in the NFL. NFL teams are going to fight potential league suspensions behind the scenes, especially starters. Don’t forget about the money and big contracts.

It is a lot easier to suspend or kick starter off the team in college than the NFL.

Wexahu

you honestly don't believe head coaches in the nfl are not involved in discipline issues? that they don't deal with things in some cases on a regular basis that never gets to the nfl

do you think the nfl told the chiefs to get rid of marcus peters or do you think andy reid just got tired of dealing with his [ steaming pile of Orgeron ]

was it the nfl who told jimmy johnson to tell charles haley to get his freaking act straight or get ready to get cut after the niners had already gotten rid of haley

go look at all the things the giants tried to do to keep lawrence taylor somewhat under control

you have this perception that the nfl is the cop and the coaches don't deal with these matters and that just isn't correct

add in agents, crazy family members, wives, girl friends, the media, and do you honestly believe that money doesn't magnify these issues

this is akin to saying all the frat house [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] stops at the doors or the investment banking houses and hedge funds.

Not saying the coaches don't deal with it, just that they aren't considered responsible for it. No NFL coach is going to lose their job like Art Briles, Barry Switzer or Joe Paterno did.....and those guys are/were never going to coach in college again. NFL coaches are responsible for fielding a winning team and that is it. They have to deal with personal issues that players have only to the extent it impacts their ability to win. Hell, if some fringe player in the NFL is caught with drugs and even murders someone and the coach is still winning, that coach isn't losing their job. The guy would get permanently suspended by the league and the beat goes on. In college there'd be some huge investigation and most likely that coach is gone, because right or wrong, it's HIS program.

Wexahu

Wex, you may not be taking into account the small rosters in the NFL. NFL teams are going to fight potential league suspensions behind the scenes, especially starters. Don’t forget about the money and big contracts.

It is a lot easier to suspend or kick starter off the team in college than the NFL.

And, depending how good the player is, I think more often the not the coach would prefer NOT suspending him. As a coach, I'd be more worried about losing guys I don't want to lose than not being able to cut guys. Do you think GP wanted to kick Tipa Gal'ei off the team or was he forced to because the program didn't want the black eye.

Eight

Not saying the coaches don't deal with it, just that they aren't considered responsible for it. No NFL coach is going to lose their job like Art Briles, Barry Switzer or Joe Paterno did.....and those guys are/were never going to coach in college again. NFL coaches are responsible for fielding a winning team and that is it. They have to deal with personal issues that players have only to the extent it impacts their ability to win. Hell, if some fringe player in the NFL is caught with drugs and even murders someone and the coach is still winning, that coach isn't losing their job. The guy would get permanently suspended by the league and the beat goes on. In college there'd be some huge investigation and most likely that coach is gone, because right or wrong, it's HIS program.

do you honestly believe if the panthers organization had taken part in a cover-up for rae carruth like bliss did at baylor heads would not roll and the coaches wouldn't have an issue with that next hire?

art was actively involved in the cover-up, barry told charles thompson the dea was investigating him, and paterno covered up for sandusky.

if barry had told say nate newton that the dea was aware of him driving van loads of marijuana down i-10 and that come to public light jerry wouldn't have fired him?

[ Finebaum ], with all that happened at ou barry is the freaking elvis pressley of oklahoma.

as regard to your thoughts on what they have to do and don't do believe as you wish. different from what i have been told, but

BABYFACE

And, depending how good the player is, I think more often the not the coach would prefer NOT suspending him. As a coach, I'd be more worried about losing guys I don't want to lose than not being able to cut guys. Do you think GP wanted to kick Tipa Gal'ei off the team or was he forced to because the program didn't want the black eye.

I agree with that. My point was with the money and the smaller rosters in NFL that suspending or waiving players is not easier than college, but probably more difficult. Yes, I agree, I dont think coaches on any level like suspending or cutting players.

Eight

what is funny about your argument is that the school and not gary made the call on the four players in the drug bust and the school and not gary were the one's that ultimately decided the fate of fields

Bob

you think lincoln, bob, barry, and bud answered to academia?

might have to take a meeting, but which is worse. listening to a university president who really doesn't control your future or an nfl owner who has no clue what he is doing and won't stay out of the way in cleveland

granted, lincoln most likely would be able to get a college hc job if he decided to leave the nfl, but would it be at the level of ou?
I have never been accused of answering to academia.

Wexahu

do you honestly believe if the panthers organization had taken part in a cover-up for rae carruth like bliss did at baylor heads would not roll and the coaches wouldn't have an issue with that next hire?

I might be wrong but i don't think I've ever seen a situation where an NFL coach was blackballed from the league for how he handled a matter involving an off-the-field player incident. They just aren't expected to be responsible for anything but winning. Who is responsible for a cover up like that in your scenario can ALWAYS be passed on to someone else within the NFL organizational structure because a coach's job in the NFL is to prepare game plans and win games and that is it. A college head coach is supposed a run a program, and running a program involves more than just winning on Saturday.

CountryFrog

We could debate all day about the pros and cons of college vs NFL. It's really all a matter of personal preference and only Lincoln Riley knows what Lincoln Riley's personal preferences are.

The one benefit that Riley has is that he could go 0-16 three straight seasons in the NFL, make a ridiculous amount of money, and still have his pick of college jobs afterward.

Moose Stuff

How did Saban do w/ the Dolphins?

Was he the right coach? My point being it’s beyond silly to think no coach will ever win in Cleveland again. Maybe Riley will be the one to turn it around and end up being a legend up there. Perhaps what I should have said is the right coach “thinks” he can win anywhere. I doubt Riley looks at that job and says “F that, I’m not good enough to turn that around”.

CountryFrog

Saban hated it, but that entire franchise turned on the team doctor's medical evaluations of Drew Brees and Dante Culpepper. Miami could've had Brees if they wanted but chose to trust the medical evaluation that said Brees was unlikely to totally recover from his shoulder surgery.

If Brees had ended up in Miami then there's a really good chance that they win a lot of games, Saban stays with the Dolphins, and the history of college football and the NFL over the last 10 years is very different.

CountryFrog

There was a moment in Miami where Saban wanted a defensive linemen to do extra conditioning. The lineman basically told him to "bleep off, I make more money than you do so why don't you do some running." I think the player may have even had some type of contractual clause detailing the amount of conditioning he was required to do.

That's the type of thing you deal with at that level. Some coaches are good at handling it and others aren't or simply prefer the dictator status that they have at college campuses.

Lincoln Riley strikes me as a Sean McVay type who could handle those personalities. IF he wanted to.

"The truth is for me, I love Oklahoma. I love coaching here," Riley said in a news conference. "I love coaching college football. I certainly don't have that itch right now."

So you're saying there's a chance?

"I don't know that I ever will," Riley continued. "But I'm never going to be a guy that stands up here and says 'no way, no how' with any of these things ever happening. I don't know that. But I know right now I could care less about the NFL."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...homa-sooners-cleveland-browns-job/1809370002/

Spike

Was he the right coach? My point being it’s beyond silly to think no coach will ever win in Cleveland again. Maybe Riley will be the one to turn it around and end up being a legend up there. Perhaps what I should have said is the right coach “thinks” he can win anywhere. I doubt Riley looks at that job and says “F that, I’m not good enough to turn that around”.

A better question is why would he want to? He's at a storied program that has demonstrated a commitment to winning. A number of the NFL franchises are absolute dumpster fires.

TAINTed frog

Saban was pretty awful with the Dolphins. Saban was ~ 51/52 when he took that job. I would say he's been fairly successful after his horrible stint in the NFL. As has Pete Carroll.

Lincoln Riley is 35 (THIRTY-FIVE). I can see him, at this young age, taking a chance at proving himself in the NFL. I mean, what's the downside? He fails in the NFL, while making buckets of cash, and then comes back to a blue blood college program.

Last edited: