• The KillerFrogs

Dec. 6, 2019 TCU-USC Basketball

Big Frog II

We will have a better chance to get a marquis non-conference game in Dickies Arena than at home other than the SEC or Big East challenge. Perhaps we can have a Holiday Tournament.

Last edited:

LVH

KU should be able to pack a ton of fans in to the new Dickies Arena. We can nickname it Phog Allen South.

Please dont give our athletic director ideas

But scheiss playing big teams at Dickies. USC isnt what I would consider a big team so that's OK. But if we were to be able to get a chance to play a Duke or UNC I would want them to play at Schollmaier. Otherwise why did we even bother renovating the arena.

LVH

Question for those who might know - If a school is hosting rounds in the NCAA tournament, can that school play at that arena? I know years ago that they couldn’t, so that’s why you see conferences being the host.

No, host team is blackballed from playing on their own court. Only exception is Dayton in the play-in round which happened in 2015.

TCUdirtbag

But scheiss playing big teams at Dickies. USC isnt what I would consider a big team so that's OK. But if we were to be able to get a chance to play a Duke or UNC I would want them to play at Schollmaier. Otherwise why did we even bother renovating the arena.

Kansas, WVU, Texas, OU, etc. At home. Every year. We can all get over one non-conference game being down the street.

leofrog

No, host team is blackballed from playing on their own court. Only exception is Dayton in the play-in round which happened in 2015.
That wasn’t the question. The question was can a host school play at the site they are hosting at, or does it need to be a conference sponsor? The play in games are played on Dayton’s home court.

leofrog

But, would a Duke or UNC play at Schollmaier. I believe the answer is no, so Dickies May open up new opponents that otherwise would not play in Fort Worth.

don

Talked with Dixon about it at lunch. He said it opens up the possibility for big teams to come into Fort Worth as part of a "neutral" court home and home. They won't come to Schollmaier. He also talked about one game around the time of the Fort Worth Bowl in the future as something they were looking at.

YA

Kansas, WVU, Texas, OU, etc. At home. Every year. We can all get over one non-conference game being down the street.
Except you and others will be one of the first to [ hundin] and moan about the ticket not being part of the season ticket package and the parking costs

MAcFroggy

The biggest issue with this is that the "big name" teams like KU, UK, Duke, UNC, etc hardly play any true road games anymore (except maybe against each other). There is no real benefit to them (or any team for that matter) to play a road game when they can play neutral site games instead.

Duke does not play one true road non-conference game this season.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/150

Neither does Kentucky.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/96

Kansas plays one.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/2305

Getting true home-and-home like college football with these big name teams is probably a fool's errand. Unfortunately, Dickie's Arena might be one of the few ways we would ever even be able to play them.

TCUdirtbag

Except you and others will be one of the first to [ hundin] and moan about the ticket not being part of the season ticket package and the parking costs

Shots fired? Why at me? I don’t complain about that stuff. Why be an asshat?

Last edited:

leofrog

Talked with Dixon about it at lunch. He said it opens up the possibility for big teams to come into Fort Worth as part of a "neutral" court home and home. They won't come to Schollmaier. He also talked about one game around the time of the Fort Worth Bowl in the future as something they were looking at.
Glad to hear that Dixon is open to the idea.

Eight

Some of you guys are a beating. KU does it every year and no complaints from their fans. If we could play a Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Michigan, MSU, IU, Purdue or a UCLA over there every year that would be awesome.

if you are referring to playing a "neutral court" game in kansas city they have a track record of filing whatever arena they play in or near the state of kansas

if you are referring to playing in the annual early season games in the bahamas or on an air craft carrier etc... those are made for television games which usually come with a fairly decent check to convince them to give up a guaranteed sell out in lawrence and the visibility is a great thing for the program

my biggest concern at playing the biggest non-conference game at the dickies arena is playing off campus in an arena that is half full with a crowd that would have created a great game environment on campus simply to appease certain folks in fort worth.

Last edited:

Horned Toad

if you are referring to playing a "neutral court" game in kansas city they have a track record of filing whatever arena they play in or near the state of kansas

if you are referring to playing in the annual early season games in the bahamas or on an air craft carrier etc... those are made for television games which usually come with a fairly decent check to convince them to give up a guaranteed sell out in lawrence and the visibility is a great thing for the program

my biggest concern at playing the biggest non-conference game at the dickies arena is playing off campus in an arena that is half full with a crowd that would have created a great game environment on campus simply to appease certain folks in fort worth.
I wouldn’t sweat this one too much as it being the first game it’s likely to draw a pretty decent crowd.