• The KillerFrogs

Only 1 spot left in the College Football Playoff

CountryFrog

I do think its pretty safe to pencil Clemson and Bama in at this point.
I just don't understand the compulsive need to pencil ANYONE in at this point? I wish thev media could simply discuss games that are right in front of us in the moment instead of making everything about the playoff and nothing else. I don't feel like NFL coverage is constant in your face playoff debate so I don't understand why college football has become that.

FrogAbroad

I just don't understand the compulsive need to pencil ANYONE in at this point? I wish thev media could simply discuss games that are right in front of us in the moment instead of making everything about the playoff and nothing else. I don't feel like NFL coverage is constant in your face playoff debate so I don't understand why college football has become that.

Online college football championship "debate" = more views of media web pages = more advertising revenue

I seriously doubt some topic's inherent societal value drives sports coverage. Sports media outlets produce hits for advertisers. Remember, sports is not their product, we who follow sports are their product.

CountryFrog

Online college football championship "debate" = more views of media web pages = more advertising revenue

I seriously doubt some topic's inherent societal value drives sports coverage. Sports media outlets produce hits for advertisers. Remember, sports is not their product, we who follow sports are their product.
Oh I totally understand everything they do is in an attempt to maximize views. It's just not getting my attention. Since the playoff has started I've watched and read less and less college football content every year because it's all centered around endless hypothetical playoff scenarios.

I'm not attempting to make a case for societal values. Just speaking from my own perspective.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
scheiss them. This is dumb. It's week one. There are 12 more games to play for these prospective conference champions. What if Northwestern wins the B10 title game making them 11-2, knocking OSU to 11-2 (let's say they lost to us). Could you justify putting them in over a 12-1 TCU or a 11-1 ND? I'd say no. So much crap can happen between now and then.

Mean Purple

Interesting to me why the Big 12 gets lumped in the outsiders group when OU’s performance was no less impressive than anything Clemson/OSU/Bama/Ga did. I’ll wait for ND to achieve something beyond hanging on to beat an amazingly overrated Michigan team in South Bend before they even warrant the slightest mention.
This^^^^^

It's much like the claims that the big 12 can't handle an SEC defense. OU hung serious points on Georgia in the Rose Bowl. TCU rolled ole miss and shut their offense down.

That said, Dinnich is likely basing her piece on what she has heard from committee members who have been leaking to her since this thing started. And, of course, the situation changes weekly. This give Dinnich something to write.

Wexahu

I agree but take a look at what gets the biggest reactions and stirs up the most debate among fans. It’s not the games themselves, it’s what impact the results will have on the rankings and what some ESPN guy/girl says about the teams or the playoffs or whatever. If everyone would just quit making such a big deal out of every word that’s said or quit freaking out after every release of a poll they’d stop talking about that stuff nonstop.

Just know that if TCU finishes 12-1 or better there’s about a 90% chance we’re going to be in playoffs. Lose two and we won’t. All the other stuff is just nonsense really.

cdsfrog

Must win conference and be ranked 7th or higher. Create secondary measures if any of the 4 teams failure to qualify this.

Granted best option still remains is auto auto bids for top 5 conferences (top 12 ranking required) and 3 wild cards (auto bid for any g5 team top 10, top 12 to be considered). If any p5 teams conference championship fails to be top 12, another would card spot is opened.

8 spots barely dilutes the season and avoids making the playoffs an invitational like it is every year.

f_399

Alabama is probably as good as ever.

They have always gotten by with a good game manager at qb, now they have an actual play maker. An offense that can score, they don’t have to rely on their defense, which is still very good.

If I could pencil 1 team in, it would be Alabama.

The rest are still up for grabs.

CountryFrog

Both have laughably easy schedules. Seriously who will beat Clemson?
The first sentence is true. But no one thought Syracuse would beat Clemson last year or Pitt the year before. And Bama is always favored to beat everyone yet they pretty much never get through the season undefeated. Plus every team is a QB injury away from their season looking completely different.

So let's just play some games and see what happens.

MTfrog5

Alabama is probably as good as ever.

They have always gotten by with a good game manager at qb, now they have an actual play maker. An offense that can score, they don’t have to rely on their defense, which is still very good.

If I could pencil 1 team in, it would be Alabama.

The rest are still up for grabs.
You could pencil them in every season until they don’t make it.