• The KillerFrogs

Alamo Bowl

BABYFACE

I didn’t say it is cheap
No doubt. It is a very nice hotel.

Fsmily of four with two teens in tow that always seem to be hungry(all freebies and evening reception), the Drury Plaza is a solid value for us. Usually get a suite in the San Luis tower overlooking the Riverwalk. It is kind of cool to sit out at night and watch the evening show at the San Luis Cathedral from the hotel balcony.

Stanfordebate

I can't get behind Stanford be ranked above us

Is that due to the fact we won one less game/lost one more game, or is their some other reason for your comment?

Our ranking probably had a lot to do w/beating UW and ND at the end of the season. If I am looking at the schedules correctly, our best win was slightly better and our worst loss was slightly better.

We are ranked slightly higher in the CFPR and you guys are ranked slightly higher in the other two polls...there is not a lot to get excited about either way. Both of our squads lost the opportunity to win the conference. Heck, we beat WA and they are going to a NY6 bowl so I do believe I have at least a small clue as to your gripe.

Stanfordebate

Stanford.. with one less win and one more loss, ahead of TCU makes zero sense. They both have two loses to the same teams, USC and Oklahoma. Apparently the fact that OU is significantly better than USC didn't matter to the committee.
Stanford.. with one less win and one more loss, ahead of TCU makes zero sense. They both have two loses to the same teams, USC and Oklahoma. Apparently the fact that OU is significantly better than USC didn't matter to the committee.

I think it did matter to the committee just as wins over UW and ND, as well as a loss to SDSU, were viewed more favorably than respective a respective win over OSU and loss to Iowa St.

Over the three polls the ranking of our two teams is no greater than 2 spots which is nominal.

Stanfordebate

Just a friendly reminder for ticket buyers that Stanford doesn’t usually travel very well.

Stanford does not necessarily travel poorly. The aliens have to be motivated to go to the bowl game (this will be the second year in a row in TX albeit in different contests) and our alumni base is not only much smaller than most schools, but also much more international...we do just fine, in a relative sense, when those points are taken into consideration.

Stanfordebate

The Big XII (TCU) is at a huge disadvantage when it comes to the Polls by design and will always be until we can recruit additional schools to the conference and create Divisions. Our head to head play between all members results in losses that other conferences can avoid via division design and annual scheduling.
Not accounting for out of conference games the best records the BIG XII can possible achieve in conference are as follows:
9-0
8-1
7-2
6-3
5-4
4-5
3-6
2-7
1-8
0-9
The Big X’s (and SEC, PAC-XII, ACC) Divisions are going to yield MORE teams with better conference records by the design of the divisions AND fewer games are played between “conference powers”. When all Conference Members schedules 3-4 “weak” (not P-5) non-conference opponents the Divisions can yield 2 unbeatens and possible 2 one loss Teams. AS A RESULT.....they are “over ranked” in the Polls and count as quality wins.
This INHERIT BIAS will eventually be the death of the Big Xll.....Why?
* Teams defecting for an easier path to the CFP.
* Money - TV Contracts....LESSER Bowl Games
* Recruiting - Hurt by the Poll/Bowl Bias
* Perception - The BIG XII is the weakest of the P-5s BS.

This is not accurate as the PAC has always played a round robin schedule; we play 9 conference opponents not eight!

HeidelFrog

Is that due to the fact we won one less game/lost one more game, or is their some other reason for your comment?

Our ranking probably had a lot to do w/beating UW and ND at the end of the season. If I am looking at the schedules correctly, our best win was slightly better and our worst loss was slightly better.

We are ranked slightly higher in the CFPR and you guys are ranked slightly higher in the other two polls...there is not a lot to get excited about either way. Both of our squads lost the opportunity to win the conference. Heck, we beat WA and they are going to a NY6 bowl so I do believe I have at least a small clue as to your gripe.

Welcome Stanfordebate...

I just hate the CFP committee but we are looking forward to the Alamo Bowl and meeting your Stanford fanbase. Should be a good game and a lot of fun..

netty2424

It isn't based on a single game. OK, take whatever team you want and eliminate both their best game and their worst game and see what you come up with. Take the Oklahoma State win and remove it from our resume, and then take away either of the OU losses or the ISU loss. What's our resume look like? Go a step further and take the two best games and the two worst games off, what's that look like?

Do the same with any team ranked ahead of us. How do we stack up?
Why the darn would anyone remove data points? This is very committee-like. At least you're consistent Wex.

Latest posts