• The KillerFrogs

Alamo Bowl

CountryFrog

I hear ya. In 2014 I was irate. This year I’m not bothered by it because I don’t really feel like we’re arguably better than any of the teams in front of us.

On the whole have we been treated fairly? Probably not.
If you think we're not as good as the teams in front of us then that's a justifiable conclusion, even though I disagree. It's totally subjective though.

My last point would be this. How many teams ranked ahead of us do you think would NOT have lost twice to OU if they played once in Norman and once in Arlington? Heck, Ohio St got blown out by them in Columbus. We're being punished A LOT for losing twice to the #2 team, with neither game coming at home.

Us and Miami have very similar resumes. We were even ranked ahead of them when we had 1 loss and they had zero. Since then, we've lost 2 games (both to OU) and they've also lost two games (Clemson and Pitt) and now they're at 10 and we're at 15. So we dropped 9 spots after losing twice to OU while Miami dropped 3 spots after losing to Pitt and Clemson. I understand they also had a win over ND in there, so I'm not saying we should be ahead of them. But our overall resumes aren't much different at all and there's no way anyone could say they pass the eye test better than TCU.

Moose Stuff

If you think we're not as good as the teams in front of us then that's a justifiable conclusion, even though I disagree. It's totally subjective though.

My last point would be this. How many teams ranked ahead of us do you think would NOT have lost twice to OU if they played once in Norman and once in Arlington? Heck, Ohio St got blown out by them in Columbus. We're being punished A LOT for losing twice to the #2 team, with neither game coming at home.

Us and Miami have very similar resumes. We were even ranked ahead of them when we had 1 loss and they had zero. Since then, we've lost 2 games (both to OU) and they've also lost two games (Clemson and Pitt) and now they're at 10 and we're at 15. So we dropped 9 spots after losing twice to OU while Miami dropped 3 spots after losing to Pitt and Clemson. I understand they also had a win over ND in there, so I'm not saying we should be ahead of them. But our overall resumes aren't much different at all and there's no way anyone could say they pass the eye test better than TCU.

I’m not saying we’re not as good as the teams immediately in front of us. I’m saying I can’t say with any certainty that we’re better than they are.

And I think the committee is absolutely saying they pass the eye test better than us. Not saying they’re right.

texasrobster1997

No logic necessary.

The answer is simple: The Committee watched our game yesterday.
This is just dumb (not picking on you just this eyeball test premise). Yes, we got stomped by a really good team. That being said, really good teams can stomp other really good teams. Example: LSU loss in NCG, Notre Dame loss in NCG, us beating Ole Miss. Just because there is a big gap between us and the team that beat us it doesn’t mean there is a huge gap between us and other teams with similar records.

texasrobster1997

I’m not saying we’re not as good as the teams immediately in front of us. I’m saying I can’t say with any certainty that we’re better than they are.

And I think the committee is absolutely saying they pass the eye test better than us. Not saying they’re right.
I think you are right. I think the only game of TCU that they watched was yesterday’s game. Which is why this system is so flawed and reeks of bias.

CountryFrog

Totally fair. I'm just sick of always being stuck at the end of the pecking order every time we're in a close situation. I've been trying to think that the committee is trying to treat us fairly but I'm just finding it more and more difficult to believe that we have ever or will ever be given a fair shake by them. We had 10 win seasons in the MWC with higher rankings than 15.

netty2424

Felt kinda bad about Alamo Bowl again, but then my SMU friend tells me about how excited they are to be playing Louisiana Technical University over at Frisco near McKinney in the Frisco Bowl. Does that whet your appetite, or what?
Committee knows the SMU students coke dealers won't travel too far so they wanted to keep them close to home.

Jackson

The politics within the CFP Selection Committee is obvious and it’ll always be there. The biggest benefituary of their politics has been tOSU and this year they feel they got screwed....too FUNNY!
Amazingly they almost lowered the bar AGAIN for getting a playoff ticket....a 30+pt loss to IOWA! We shouldn’t hear too much complaining from tOSU Fans as they’re no less than the CFP Selection Commitee’s second favorite.

asleep003

Is there anyone in the country who thought TCU, at this point, would win 10 games, play in the 1st B12 CCG in ages, or be ranked #15..?.. much less top 25.

Also, would be going to a good bowl and 'could' end up in the AP top 10 final poll...

Think we still have a lot to play for. Tickets should be reasonable, late, as Stanford
does't normally travel well outside Cali.

Pharm Frog

Why would putting us in a NY6 bowl prevent them from pairing those two?

I can't answer that but Hocutt spent quite a bit of time on ESPNU radio this afternoon explaining why they wanted to match USC and OSU in the Cotton Bowl specifically. He gave several reasons but among these were:

• Wanted to pair two great teams against each other.
  • Two traditionally powerful programs meeting in one of the best and largest venues available in bowl football.
  • Gives an opportunity for student-athletes to spend time in a different part of the country than they would typically experience.
  • The Cotton Bowl is noted for its fantastic hospitality and they thought these two teams deserved it.
That's what he said.

Zubaz

I can't answer that but Hocutt spent quite a bit of time on ESPNU radio this afternoon explaining why they wanted to match USC and OSU in the Cotton Bowl specifically. He gave several reasons but among these were:

• Wanted to pair two great teams against each other.
  • Two traditionally powerful programs meeting in one of the best and largest venues available in bowl football.
  • Gives an opportunity for student-athletes to spend time in a different part of the country than they would typically experience.
  • The Cotton Bowl is noted for its fantastic hospitality and they thought these two teams deserved it.
That's what he said.
Huh, I would have figured it was "Rose bowl was a semi and we wanted the traditional Big Ten / Pac-12 matchup"

Horny 4 Life

LOL at you people getting upset by and trying to rationalize these rankings. Y'all should know by now that the Committee weighs whatever darn input they want and then bends their logic to support it.

The only thing that will ever surprise me with this system is if they go more than 2 straight years using the same criteria and reasoning. I'll probably die before that happens though.

Chop down The Tree!