• The KillerFrogs

What's wrong with Fort Worth?

You get a lot of kids who have to take jobs to help their families. I went to Braum's by South Hills HS couple Saturdays ago to get some milk and struck up a conversation with the kid behind the counter. He asked what I was up to and I said just watching a ton of football. He said "I can't wait to get off and play, myself." I figured he meant he had a game that night and he looked like he'd be an athletic WR so I asked what he played. His response "Madden."

Good thing there is never any problem with drugs in the suburbs.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/teenage-wasteland/

th

And don't forget about the huge coke ring at TCU facilitated by kids from the burbs.

JugbandFrog

My dream has always been to coach at Paschal High School until the day I die. Build up a program of youngun’s that’ll become better men.

Coaches use FWISD as a stepping stone. A coach still has to teach in FWISD.

I will buy most of this but doubt Fort Worth corners the market on broken homes. I do think that there are admin problems in FWISD. With property taxes no bargain and home values rising rapidly, the citizens of FW should and will demand excellence in the coming years. It is one of the few things the city hasn’t mastered.

When you attract families who value quality schools, the money and programs will follow.

It's a long-term proposition. Mayor Price is focused on reviving the forgotten parts parts of FW and it starts with education. The vision had been put in place but it will take some time to see substantial results. Studies show that if you don't reach a kid by 3rd grade it's an extremely uphill climb from then on so much of the resources are out towards pre-k through 3rd grade. Culture shifts take some time but I have faith in our city's leadership.

ThisIsOurTime

I can't recall too many true big city district teams that have been competitive decades.

Dallas Skyline was very competitive for years when Samples was the coach there, but once he left that quickly changed. Every school that has been competitive for an extended period of time finds itself outside the boundaries of DISD and FWISD.

No different in Austin where the last dominant AISD school was Reagan long, long ago and SAISD is a disaster. The only big city school district team that I can think of that is still highly competitive is Houston Lamar and they are a Magnet school in HISD.

Isn't simply a matter of size of the district either as Cypress Fairbanks is one of the biggest school districts in the state and produce quality teams, quality athletes, and do a decent job of educating their schools. Something you really can't say about the big city districts.

Oh, and you missed the obvious answer to your question about what is wrong with Ft. Worth. Too damn close to Dallas.

City District teams tend to be strong when they have a good coach and fall off when there is a change. They do not tend to have the big budgets that other schools have to lure top coaches. Instead, those jobs tend to be a stepping stone for other places. However, some coaches have chosen to stay in certain areas and been successful. For example, Carter had a nice run for a time with Coach Freddie James along with SOC and Lancaster in the Dallas area. But they aren't going to have the same level of consistency like the top suburban schools, private schools or schools like Highland Park.

ThisIsOurTime

There were a couple of former Frogs that were coaching FWISD type schools. How are things going for them? For example, we had helped raise money for a weight room for one.

W

Way of the Frog

A coach still has to teach in FWISD.

This is a great point and often overlooked in this matter. When Vince Young was a senior at Houston Madison they were facing Austin Westlake I believe in the State Semi's (could have been Quarter's).

Article in the paper compared the resources available to the players and the coaches of each program. Ray Seals , longtime HC at Mdison, talked about things most here don't understand in regards to his players. Many of the Madison kids road a bus to school which made it difficult to come early to school be it for treatment for an injury, extra film time, weights, etc.. and I am not talking about a HISD yellow dog, but a Houston metro bus. Same problem at night and many of his kids had a part time job to help their families.

The DC at Madison was the Head Girls Basketball coach and they practiced in the morning before school, he was a class sponsor and sold donuts in the cafeteria when he got done in the gym, and he taught a full load of math classes.

Anyone want to guess how many class the two co-ordinators at Westlake taught or activities they were involved with outside or football?

W

Way of the Frog

City District teams tend to be strong when they have a good coach and fall off when there is a change. They do not tend to have the big budgets that other schools have to lure top coaches. Instead, those jobs tend to be a stepping stone for other places. However, some coaches have chosen to stay in certain areas and been successful. For example, Carter had a nice run for a time with Coach Freddie James along with SOC and Lancaster in the Dallas area. But they aren't going to have the same level of consistency like the top suburban schools, private schools or schools like Highland Park.

Freddie James retired over twenty years ago and most of the talent that would have gone to Carter, Kimball, Soc, and Lincoln has moved out to DeSoto, Cedar Hill, and Lancaster.

SOC was very good in the 70's and 80's fell of a bit and pop up every now and then, but the most dominant school in DISD since the retirement of James and the head coach at Kimball was Skyline.

No accident those three (DeSoto, Cedar Hill, and Lancaster) have as many athletes as any area in the state. Most of those families that once were in the South part of DISD moved out to the suburbs. Go ba

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I can't recall too many true big city district teams that have been competitive decades.

Dallas Skyline was very competitive for years when Samples was the coach there, but once he left that quickly changed. Every school that has been competitive for an extended period of time finds itself outside the boundaries of DISD and FWISD.

No different in Austin where the last dominant AISD school was Reagan long, long ago and SAISD is a disaster. The only big city school district team that I can think of that is still highly competitive is Houston Lamar and they are a Magnet school in HISD.

Isn't simply a matter of size of the district either as Cypress Fairbanks is one of the biggest school districts in the state and produce quality teams, quality athletes, and do a decent job of educating their schools. Something you really can't say about the big city districts.

Oh, and you missed the obvious answer to your question about what is wrong with Ft. Worth. Too damn close to Dallas.

Carter?
Bishop Dunn?

W

Way of the Frog

Carter?
Bishop Dunn?

Dunne is a private school and Carter hasn't been at an elite level in years.

Big difference in winning the district in a bad district and consistently going 3-4 games deep in the play-offs when you start meeting the suburban schools and East Texas.

ThisIsOurTime

Freddie James retired over twenty years ago and most of the talent that would have gone to Carter, Kimball, Soc, and Lincoln has moved out to DeSoto, Cedar Hill, and Lancaster.

SOC was very good in the 70's and 80's fell of a bit and pop up every now and then, but the most dominant school in DISD since the retirement of James and the head coach at Kimball was Skyline.

No accident those three (DeSoto, Cedar Hill, and Lancaster) have as many athletes as any area in the state. Most of those families that once were in the South part of DISD moved out to the suburbs. Go ba

Lincoln also had a brief run as well more recently. I wrote Lancaster above but meant to write Lincoln. I don't think we are really disagreeing here. I just feel if you have good coaches in the city schools and they choose to remain there for some time, you will see families more inclined to stay or even move to that area. But yes, you are most certainly correct, there has been a black flight to the suburbs from these DISD schools for some time now.

I also wonder if some of the decisions by city administrations also harm various schools potential and continuity. The changing of a school's boundaries, opening of new schools, other policies, etc. It seems to me these things have had a detrimental impact on some schools in the area that have hurt their consistency. Obviously, these things could happen and have happened to some extent in other school districts too but I have had the feeling they fall more harshly on the city district schools in this area.

researchfrog

Part of the problem with FWISD football is the large black outmigration from Fort Worth coinciding with the Hispanic take over of formerly black areas of town. (There's a neat map where you can investigate how things changed from 2000 to 2010 here.) FWISD is only 22.9% black according to the 2016-2017 Annual Report. To make matters worse, FWISD has also undergone massive white outmigration at the same time. It's not surprising football has gone downhill when the two ethnic groups most likely to play the sport have left the district.

puckster59

The flight to get out of inner-city schools/school districts continues. It's happened on the other side of D-FW as well. Carter, Kimball and Lincoln used to have a combined three dozen or so football players a year get scholarships; now it's a pittance in comparison. Where did all those kids go? South of I-20, to Lancaster, DeSoto and Cedar Hill. Only school over there that produces that kind of talent anymore is Skyline (considered a magnet school), and they basically recruit the entire city.

Part of the problem with FWISD football is the large black outmigration from Fort Worth coinciding with the Hispanic take over of formerly black areas of town. (There's a neat map where you can investigate how things changed from 2000 to 2010 here.) FWISD is only 22.9% black according to the 2016-2017 Annual Report. To make matters worse, FWISD has also undergone massive white outmigration at the same time. It's not surprising football has gone downhill when the two ethnic groups most likely to play the sport have left the district.

So the FW kids have a better chance of becoming Aaron Hernandez than Tony Gonzales.

Very astute observation. You've done your research.