• The KillerFrogs

What's the future of the Iron Skillet?

I've long been in favor of dropping the series so we can play different teams. I don't think Mack is right or it is fair to say that our players don't care about beating SMU. They hung in there today in the heat when things weren't going well and put together a pretty decent win. I would just say that they don't consider it a rivalry and don't focus most of their fall camp preparing for this game like the other team does so the score usually ends up closer than it should be given the relative talent on the two teams.

ECM

Curious what alternative y'all would want- I assume you don't want another P5 OOC game, or want to buy a G5 OOC opponent like a MAC or Sun Belt team. So what's a better G5 home and home matchup? Only one I could think of that would really make sense is UH because I know TCU has a lot of alumni in the Houston area. But SMU gives you an extra local game every other year.

And congrats on today- I think you guys are pretty good. Our offense hit some whacky plays early and then we benefitted from some turnovers, but when the game settled down y'all dominated.

Surfrog

Curious what alternative y'all would want- I assume you don't want another P5 OOC game, or want to buy a G5 OOC opponent like a MAC or Sun Belt team. So what's a better G5 home and home matchup? Only one I could think of that would really make sense is UH because I know TCU has a lot of alumni in the Houston area. But SMU gives you an extra local game every other year.

And congrats on today- I think you guys are pretty good. Our offense hit some whacky plays early and then we benefitted from some turnovers, but when the game settled down y'all dominated.

If anything, schedule it in a pipeline state like Louisiana (15 on roster), California (13 on roster) or other recruiting hotbeds.

Surfrog

So you'd rather do a home and home with Fresno State or Tulane? I bet GP would love to spend a week prepping for Tulane's triple option

Yes.

1. TCU used to play Air Force every year, Coach Patterson coached at Navy where he invented a defense for the triple option.

2. The team gets used to traveling.

3. Establish presence in recruiting pipeline states.

4. Reach fans in different parts of the country.

Deep Purple

I never said I agree with Muck...
I'll say it. I'm no fan of his, but I agree with just about everything he said in that column.

SMU is not committed to excelling at the top of college football. SMU brings no fans to the games or compelling reasons to play them. SMU is a real drag on our SOS, given that we also play one FCS team each year, and SMU is often no better than the FCS opponent. SMU players get all geeked for this game every year as their "Super Bowl," while TCU players approach this game as, "Meh. It's only SMU."

I get that this gamer is a 98-year tradition, but tradition doesn't make a genuine rivalry. For a real rivalry, both teams have to be at least semi-regularly competitive with each other -- and SMU winning this game only once per decade on average (two times in 20 years) doesn't qualify as competitive.

By the time the current series contract is completed. TCU will have been playing SMU for a century. or more. That is probably enough. We passed them by about 20 years ago, and now we're just being charitable. I love charity, but at some point charity must end and a person must learn to stand on his own two feet. We've propped up SMU's football relevance long enough.

netty2424

No one seems excited to beat them, just relieved not to have lost.
Classic trap game coming off Arky and followed by Okie Lite.

I was in the camp of we'll dominate them from bell to bell. But after a few trick plays and Morris refusing to kick to Turpin, I thought we might be in for a long day.