• The KillerFrogs

OT - Need the Board's input on FW private schools

BABYFACE

Save the private tuition and put that annual expense into the house and acreage in Aledo. Have a little elbow room in country suburban living just off the edge of FTW. Plus, we tailgate at HS FB games. Some sort of libation is always in a solo cup or yeti.

P.S. We did the private school thing before Aledo. Private school is fine but we were looking for a balance in between an education and extracurricular activities for the kids. I understand Aledo isn't a fit for everyone but it has worked out well for my kids that are now in HS.

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

Save the private tuition and put that annual expense into the house and acreage in Aledo. Have a little elbow room in country suburban living just off the edge of FTW. Plus, we tailgate at HS FB games. Some sort of libation is always in a solo cup or yeti.

Aledo is great and has a good school district - so does Southlake, Argyle, etc.

But that doesn't make it for everyone nor does it mean they are at the same level as some of the private schools in the area.

So once again - I still say you have to make a decision based on what is best for your kid and what you can afford and that takes some effort.

BABYFACE

Aledo is great and has a good school district - so does Southlake, Argyle, etc.

But that doesn't make it for everyone nor does it mean they are at the same level as some of the private schools in the area.

So once again - I still say you have to make a decision based on what is best for your kid and what you can afford and that takes some effort.

I agree. It is all what a family is looking for and what fits them.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I only went to public high school in Fort Worth so can't speak for elementary or middle but I thought I was well prepared for college going through Fort Worth Arlington Heights, of course I graduated HS 13 years ago. However my experience is that the drop off between honors/AP courses and the regular courses at Heights was huge whereas that wouldn't be the case in the privates. I will also add that I went to high school with a fair number of kids who went public for elementary, private for middle, and then back to public for high school.

When my family moved to Fort Worth I visited All Saints, Oak Ridge, TVS, Country Day, and SW Christian and ultimately decided that public school was the best fit for me. For me it was more of a cultural fit having always gone to public school in a smaller city (about 100k) before moving to Fort Worth the whole private school atmosphere was foreign to me.

As a side note I saw later on in this thread that you went to school in the MSP burbs. I currently live in the SW suburbs of Minneapolis and the quality of the public schools here vs FWISD is night and day.
If you live in the SW suburbs all is well with you I assume. That's not where I grew up. Not knocking you. Just explaining.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
We have lots of friends that have gone the Tanglewood, McLean, Paschal route with great experiences. That includes multiple people that have given TVS a shot only for one or both of their kids opting to go back to Paschal. Like others have said, every kid is different. McLean and Paschal are by no means bad options, though.
If a house that wasn't 2.5 million or falling apart would go up for sale we would be neighbors.

If you live in the SW suburbs all is well with you I assume. That's not where I grew up. Not knocking you. Just explaining.

Haha, true...but my neighborhood is cheap compared with Tanglewood. Everytime I look at real estate in Fort Worth for fun and games I'm shocked at how much stuff has gone up in price.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Haha, true...but my neighborhood is cheap compared with Tanglewood. Everytime I look at real estate in Fort Worth for fun and games I'm shocked at how much stuff has gone up in price.
Tanglewood isn't cheap for sure. It's all about finding value. We are moving to that area. I just have to find the value.

I love Minneapolis. Would move back immediately. Unfortunately my wife told me when I asked her to marry me that it was conditioned upon not moving back there. So yeah. I'm not going back even though my whole my family lives there.

HToady

Coached at SW Christian last year and never coached against a worst group of parents. The dads, who were living through their sons, just sat in right field by their concessions and drank beer while cussing out our outfielders the entire game.
The most "unChristian" place I have ever been is Southwest Christian. Don't send your kids to this phony place...

Realtorfrog

Aledo is surprisingly affordable compared to Fort Worth. Can get a couple of acres and a nice house for less than you would imagine. Schools will be interesting once the new high school opens next year.

Tanglewood isn't too bad either depending on the street and location. Yes some need work but others are redone....obviously a much smaller lot

For what it's worth Brock is the new Aledo

BABYFACE

I think it depends on what your goals are and who you are as a person.

If you are self driven - then where you go to school and what the environment is like is less of an issue.

If someone is trying for TCU, Baylor, etc that is a different goal then an Ivy, Duke, or Stanford.

If you are expecting a scholarship (athletic or academic_ to support your college education vs someone pay for it - that is different also.

As I said, I have it all in the youngest generation of my family and each kid has different abilities and focus areas - so each wants a fit for them.

But in general, I will be honest and tell you that there is a difference in the quality of education the Big 3 private schools are providing vs public schools even if you go all they way from Tanglewood GT through Paschal Honors/AP.

I am not saying that difference is important to everyone or that every kid will benefit from it or will be hurt if they don't have it.

But there is a difference.

There are a multitude of differences. That I agree on.

My oldest is a member of National Honor Society, does advanced classes and it appears will many opportunities for college which include those out of my price range.

A top notch private might prepare my daughter better for transitioning into a rigorous university but not for getting her in from what I am seeing on my end.

FWIW.... My progeny went to public schools in Arlington. All graduated with honors from various colleges in 4 years. None on the extended plan. All with academic scholarships. Parental interest, expectations for performance and a stable family life probably are the most important aspects. Multiple friends with kids that went to CD, TVS, Nolan, Oak Ridge, Hockaday, St. Mark's and others. My kids have done equally well or better as far as becoming independent, responsible adults is concerned.

I think too much effort is put into picking the "perfect" school. The "perfect" elementary school or high school does not guarantee or maybe even enhance the chance of lifetime success. Everything has not been perfect. There have certainly been bumps in the road. Encourage your kids to be achievers. Encourage your kids to hang out with achievers. Be a steadfast parent. Set expectations and stick to them. Be a good example. Be grateful. The message will eventually get through if it is consistent. Don't give up. Your kids will eventually appreciate the discipline and will be able to set the same standards for the next generation.

FWIW.... My progeny went to public schools in Arlington. All graduated with honors from various colleges in 4 years. None on the extended plan. All with academic scholarships. Parental interest, expectations for performance and a stable family life probably are the most important aspects. Multiple friends with kids that went to CD, TVS, Nolan, Oak Ridge, Hockaday, St. Mark's and others. My kids have done equally well or better as far as becoming independent, responsible adults is concerned.

I think too much effort is put into picking the "perfect" school. The "perfect" elementary school or high school does not guarantee or maybe even enhance the chance of lifetime success. Everything has not been perfect. There have certainly been bumps in the road. Encourage your kids to be achievers. Encourage your kids to hang out with achievers. Be a steadfast parent. Set expectations and stick to them. Be a good example. Be grateful. The message will eventually get through if it is consistent. Don't give up. Your kids will eventually appreciate the discipline and will be able to set the same standards for the next generation.

Deep Purple

Its very similar to higher education. The larger public schools can not only offer an education equal to private schools, in many cases there are more educational opportunities. Just look at the number of degrees you can pursue at UT vs. TCU.

The advantage that the private schools have is smaller class size that allows for a closer interaction between student and teacher. Because its smaller it can also be more nurturing. Sad to say but perhaps the biggest factor that leads parents to choose to pay for a private school education is safety and discipline - issues that are even more important when kids are younger. Kids that cause trouble in a private school don't stay around and that allows the rest of the kids grow and learn.

And lets be honest - in a lot of cases there is a definite "class" or "elitism" factor that enters into the decision.

I'm a huge proponent of school choice but the bottom line is there are kids that graduate from big city public schools that are every bit as smart and successful as private school honor students. As long as the schools are safe its often times more about what the kids (and their parents) make out of their opportunity - not where they find the opportunity.
Man, this post nails it 100%. Nearly 300 students are excelling at TCU under the Community Scholars program. None of them went to private schools. None of them even went to elite public schools. Just about all of them went to underperforming, inner-city public schools with overwhelmingly minority and underprivileged student enrollments. Schools that are not especially "safe" or "disciplined," and that don't offer a wealth of college-prep or advanced-placement programs.

The difference-maker for these Community Scholars wasn't the K-12 schools they attended, but the individual drive and determination to rise above their circumstances and make more of themselves than their family histories would have suggested is possible. What could be more thoroughly American than this "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" mentality? And in the face of greater social and financial obstacles than most middle-class Americans ever face?

The official TCU narrative is "The Community Scholars Program began in 2000 as an initiative by Chancellor Michael Ferrari to add diversity to the TCU campus." That statement is true as far as it goes, but doesn't come close to telling the whole story. The program was begun in 2000 under Chancellor Ferrari's sanction by Dr. Cornell Thomas, a professor in the College of Education and, at that time, his Special Assistant for Community & Diversity.

For several years, the program had no institutional support. It was funded entirely by external charitable grants, mainly from private foundations. For three years, Cornell and I went all over the place seeking grant support for this program. We even went to the Coca-Cola Foundation in Atlanta (they turned us down).

When Victor Boschini succeeded Michael Ferrari as Chancellor in 2003, he recognized the value of the program and that's when the institutional funding began. It wasn't a full-ride scholarship back then, it was a partial scholarship. The full-ride funding came with time as the budget line for the program was deliberately increased year by year. Cornell Thomas initiated the program with Chancellor Ferrari's blessing, but it was Chancellor Boschini's leadership that made it the success that it is today.

Today Cornell Thomas (once again on the faculty of the College of Education) oversees TCU's College Access program -- an initiative that employs TCU students to counsel mostly inner-city high school students on how to prepare for college. And not necessarily for college at TCU. College anywhere. In fact, the overwhelming majority of College Access students don't attend TCU. They mostly go to public universities. TCU offers this program strictly as a community service for the general good of human society.

The bottom line is that individual student drive and determination can count for as much in successful college attendance as a privileged education at any elite K-12 school. And parental influence is a huge factor in any individual student's drive and determination.

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

Deep,

You are correct but for those 300 - there are over 50,000 kids from those same schools that will never graduate college

A lot of that is parent support but no matter how much you want to - you can't do it for your kids

So parents need to be honest with themselves about their kids and understand the environment they will excel in

Lots of kids are smart enough - but are they focused and self driven or quiet and intellectually stimulated or outgoing and socially motivated?

It makes a difference and where they will be most successful will be dependent on it

What I have learned is every parent thinks their kids are above average - math, reading, sports, drama - they can't all be above average at everything

However the right school(s) can change the way they learn and grow

And just because somebody else's kid was successful in one school over another doesn't mean yours will be

Nor does it mean they couldn't have done better someplace else if given the chance

What I would say is give your child every opportunity to succeed you can and then be involved as much as you can so you can be sure they are getting what they need - you can always change course but you have to know what's going on

TCUdirtbag

OP was asking specifically about FW private schools. Not about public vs. private or which public school you prefer or the TCU community scholar program.