• The KillerFrogs

Zach Evans- Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week

jake102

When LT played his Junior and Senior years every defense was set up to stop him. They keyed on LT put spies on LT every play. It didn’t matter he had an incredible Junior year. TCU actually launched a full Heisman campaign for LT going into his Senior year. Media adds, billboards, advertising, marketing, PR, you name it. Despite every defense saying they were going to stop the run and LT he rushed for over 2000 yards. LT was and I believe still is the only running back to rush for more than 2000 yards and not win the Heisman.

I like Evans a lot, but until he can do what he does with teams trying to stop him, He is not in LT’s league not even close. One thing Evans has is insane hip turn without losing speed. That is god given talent right there. He could be an outstanding cornerback. I hope Evans gets to LT’s level I really do!

Evans clearly isn't at LTs level, and never will be because he will never get the carries. But I do have to argue that LT played in the WAC while Evans is in the B12. Nevada, Nwester, Ark State, Navy, Hawaii, Tulsa, rice, San Jose, Fresno, UTEP, SMU is quite a stretch from what Evans will see.

Also - LT played in an RB era. LT got 49 carries against Hawaii his senior year, and eclipsed 40 two other times. He averaged 34 carries a game. Just insane quantity. He only averaged 5.8 yards/carry his senior season and 5.7 over his career. So far Evans is averaging 7.8 yards/carry in his career.

Just a different time. LTs ability to have that many carries in college and then his NFL career is insane. Ability to stay healthy is so important, and he clearly had it.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
someone pointed out that Cal made 5 touchdowns, and if they had just kicked the extra point after each one they would have scored 35, one more than we did. Is that correct? If so, looks like a mistake to me.
Cal failed on extra point try on their first touchdown and then chased that point all game. If they just kick two XP instead of trying to get the one back the game is tied. Eventually they had no choice but to go for two. Coaches overthink things sometimes to their detriment. They “lost” the point on the first touchdown. No need to chase it early with the whole game in front of them.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Cal failed on extra point try on their first touchdown and then chased that point all game. If they just kick two XP instead of trying to get the one back the game is tied. Eventually they had. I choice but to go for two. Coaches overthink things sometimes to their detriment. They “lost” the point on the first touchdown. No need to chase it early with the whole game in front of them.

With all the analytics in the game today, I'm surprised more teams don't go for two after nearly every TD, unless the score in the 4th score dictates otherwise. Especially teams with better than average offenses. It's 3 yards. All you need to do is convert more than half the time. And I have a hard time believing the stats would indicate teams wouldn't be successful more than half the time, especially if they really emphasized that play in their practice and prep.

CountryFrog

With all the analytics in the game today, I'm surprised more teams don't go for two after nearly every TD, unless the score in the 4th score dictates otherwise. Especially teams with better than average offenses. It's 3 yards. All you need to do is convert more than half the time. And I have a hard time believing the stats would indicate teams wouldn't be successful more than half the time, especially if they really emphasized that play in their practice and prep.
I believe the Steelers tried this in the NFL one year. They weren't doing it after every TD but they were doing it an awful lot. They only did it the one year.

As far as college, I know Oregon went for 2 a lot when Chip Kelly was there but don't remember how successful they were with it.

jake102

I dont think the stats bear it out. Or it’s really close. One game but all three two point conversions were unsuccessful

PO Frog

I vaguely recall seeing a 53% conversion rate but can’t remember if it was in reference to college or pro. The math works out, just as it does for the proposition that you should rarely, if ever, punt. But the conclusion of coaches is the same — they would rather do what is easily defensible to the media and not risk their jobs.
Reminds me of an interview I heard with Jeff Fisher after he’d been out of coaching for a couple of years and if he’d change anything in light of all the advanced stats if he ever came back. The PMT guys asked if he’d go for two more often since the numbers showed it would result in more points. He hemmed and hawed and started talking about ignoring stats because those stats don’t consider if Aaron Rogers playing QB versus some nobody playing for your team. I was dumbfounded. Does he not understand what statistics are? The conversion percentage is literally a calculation of every single attempt made, regardless of personnel. These old coaches (GP for sure included) will absolutely not ever change.

Showtime Joe 2.0

I vaguely recall seeing a 53% conversion rate but can’t remember if it was in reference to college or pro. The math works out, just as it does for the proposition that you should rarely, if ever, punt. But the conclusion of coaches is the same — they would rather do what is easily defensible to the media and not risk their jobs.
Reminds me of an interview I heard with Jeff Fisher after he’d been out of coaching for a couple of years and if he’d change anything in light of all the advanced stats if he ever came back. The PMT guys asked if he’d go for two more often since the numbers showed it would result in more points. He hemmed and hawed and started talking about ignoring stats because those stats don’t consider if Aaron Rogers playing QB versus some nobody playing for your team. I was dumbfounded. Does he not understand what statistics are? The conversion percentage is literally a calculation of every single attempt made, regardless of personnel. These old coaches (GP for sure included) will absolutely not ever change.
I had feeling of deja vu at the Cal game when we scored our last touchdown to go up by 7 and kicked the point to go up by 8. My mind flashed back to the Arky game a few years ago when we did the same thing only to have the Hogs come back, score a TD, convert for 2 and force overtime, where we lost.

I know there were other clock-management issues in the Arky game but I would ALWAYS go for 2 late in a game if that could get you a 9-point lead, which is a 2-score/2-possession lead. If you don't make the 2-point conversion, you're still up by 7 and most likely looking at OT at worse.

I don't know what a pure statistical analysis would dictate in that situation but, intuitively, it seems that the risk of not converting a 2-point play when you're already up 7 is far less than the reward of making the 2-point conversion and going up 9.