• The KillerFrogs

Who Says Frogs Don't Travel

Trelvis

got this from twitter

16 out of 35 bowl games (45%) had a lower announced attendance than the Texas HS 5A state title game did this year.

Sponger

We clearly travel well to big games, but I think the real answer will be what happens when we end up in a lesser bowl game? I hope we continue to show up, but after the Fiesta and then the Rose Bowl, everything else (outside of another BCS) could be a let down.

But as pointed out, given the size of our alumni base....we travel very well...heck we travel well for a large school. I think the biggest difference between Wisky and TCU was all our fans made it inside the bowl game, while tons of theirs didn't have a ticket, they just showed up to be there and party.....that's good fan support...

Zubaz

Second place was Cotton Bowl at just over 83,000. We do travel, so STFU!
It seems to me that we change arguments to fit our stances whenever they are convenient. When people say we don't fill our own stadium, we use the "As a percent of capacity" argument, and when we want to show that we travel well to the biggest Bowl stadium, we use the overall attendance (even though we were clearly the minority fanbase). Can't really have it both ways, can we?

We traveled well this year, no doubt, but proving that by stating the biggest bowl stadium had the largest overall attendance is a bit misleading, imo.

ftwfrog

We traveled well this year, no doubt, but proving that by stating the biggest bowl stadium had the largest overall attendance is a bit misleading, imo.
Agreed. I would have sold a kidney to get to Pasadena. But next year if we play in the New Mexico bowl, I'll probably stay home. Just as they didn't want Stanford in that game, I think even they would have sold out their allotment.

YA

Agreed. I would have sold a kidney to get to Pasadena. But next year if we play in the New Mexico bowl, I'll probably stay home. Just as they didn't want Stanford in that game, I think even they would have sold out their allotment.
TCU could be in the Siberia Bowl and I would attend. I'm not going to stick my nose in the air and not support the team.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
TCU could be in the Siberia Bowl and I would attend. I'm not going to stick my nose in the air and not support the team.

Stick the "I'm a better fan" attitude - It's not a question of sticking our noses in the air. It's a question of money. If I hadn't lucked into an inexpensive flight, and been able to split hotel and car expenses with someone else, I may have stayed home from Pasadena. And I know I'm not the only one who squeezed the nickel until the buffalo screamed to get there.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I have bought tickets through TCU to every Bowl game TCU has been in in my lifetime save the Bluebonnet Bowl. I was in the Band for that one.

Now, I haven't attended every Bowl game that I had tickets for... But there's always Project Purple, or seeing to it that some local (to the Bowl location) TCU folks have a seat.

The Cotton Bowl analogy really doesn't work, as it was a two-hour drive for half the Aggie Alumni base, and a five hour drive for LSU's. Very little overnighting. It simply isn't the same as flying 2,000 miles and wrangling hotel rooms, etc. That is a lot more pricey than a tank of gas, dinner at a roadside choke-and-puke, tickets, and the biggest expense of all, a parking place at JerryWorld.

Ah, the Rose Bowl. I never thought that the Sun Bowl of glorious memory would be eclipsed.

mesohornedfrog

Rose Bowl is also one of the largest stadiums to hold good bowl games. NCG set an attendance record I believe, but that stadium just isn't as large, so that's kind of a skewed statement saying we had the 'best attendance.' While yes, it was good, it wasn't the largest ever at the Rose Bowl and I would bet that stadium/game has one of the highest attendance figures every year just due to its size

steelfrog

Tier 1
You people would argue with a doorknob, wouldn't you?

Here's a couple of true statements:

People have criticized TCU as being a school that doesn't travel well to bowl games.

There were 34 bowl games this year.

Of the 34 bowl games this year, the one TCU was in BY FAR had the highest attendance--by over 10,000 over number 2 Cotton Bowl.

Argue with that all you want and make yourself look like a f ing idiot, but the argumentts about us not travelling well can end now.

That is all.

Frog DJ

Ah, the Rose Bowl. I never thought that the Sun Bowl of glorious memory would be eclipsed.
Me neither, Brewing.

As the clock ticked down in El Paso I turned to ecto and his roommate (who were TCU students at the time) and said, "I know you guys think this is neat, but you don't understand what it means to geezers like me. This is 30-year dream-come-true!"

The Rose Bowl was an unimaginable dream-come-true.

Being there for both of them with my son was truly incredible!

God can take me, now.

Go Frogs!

Zubaz

Here's a couple of true statements:

People have criticized TCU as being a school that doesn't travel well to bowl games.

There were 34 bowl games this year.

Of the 34 bowl games this year, the one TCU was in BY FAR had the highest attendance--by over 10,000 over number 2 Cotton Bowl.

Argue with that all you want and make yourself look like a f ing idiot, but the argumentts about us not travelling well can end now.
Your logic is faulty for a few reasons.

Using total stadium attendance when comparing different bowl games held in different stadiums - There were no bowl games held in facilities with a higher official capacity than the Rose Bowl, to the best of my knowledge. Certainly none of the BCS bowls. So what sell-out game could have possibly outsold the Rose Bowl?

Attributing total attendance to TCU fans - We were not the majority of fans in the stadium. There were more Auburn fans at University of Phoenix stadium, for example, than there were TCU fans at the Rose Bowl.

Attributing Rose Bowl attendance to TCU playing in the game - The Rose Bowl has been, by far, the highest attended bowl game every year since World War II ended. It's not like we spiked attendance significantly for an otherwise poorly drawing Bowl game.

I don't dispute you trying to say that we travel well, but your "proof" is laughably bad.