Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters

PurplFrawg

Administrator
utah_frog_alley4.jpg

^^^ Horn Frogs ^^^

"straight lines? we don't need no stinkin' straight lines!"

weklfrog

I remember the time I posted a picture of one of the main offices in Sadler or Reed having a sign that read "this is horn frog country"

I then was naturally called an [Craig James] hole and jerk for criticizing the people that had it hanging up.
and rightfully so.

RaiderHater

Gotta be TCU is in Dallas. If Fort Worth was a small city of 50,000 I wouldn't mind it, but Fort Worth has about 750,000 people. Drives me crazy.

The "Adam" Dalton or "Horn" frogs aren't as annoying because they could easily just be mispoken.

purplepreacher

readjustment of that line call against Baylor bothers me most of all. Don't ever remember a replay of that kind of a call. You might know we would be the first ever. Probably a hick referee from Elm Mott.

count_biffula

I voted "horn" frog. Saying TCU is in Dallas isn't annoying, it's offensive. The other one is too infrequent for me to care.

The whole horn/horned frog thing could be taken to another level actually since in reality, being in Texas and all, we should be the Horned Toads or Horny Toads shouldn't we?

VictoryLap

G. Using the word 'more' for comparisons of 3 or more...

Edit. I see it is correct in the post, but incorrect in the title (I know these can't be corrected so I will give the benefit of the doubt here).

Limp Lizard

The whole horn/horned frog thing could be taken to another level actually since in reality, being in Texas and all, we should be the Horned Toads or Horny Toads shouldn't we?
Actually, we should be Horned Lizards. Get damn tired of all the headlines talking about TCU "hopping" or "croaking".
angry.gif
That ship has sailed, though: too late to change the official name.

I grew up calling the Horny Toads. Lay 'em on their back, rub their bellies and they go to sleep. What the hell is really happening there? Done it a million times, never thought to question "why?"

Frog DJ

I choose the Adam and Greg syndrome, because it indicates the speaker just doesn't pay attention.

TCU being in Dallas reveals ignorance.

But the "Horn" Frog usually exposes a faux fan.

Go Frogs! Do It Now!

TCUSA

You forgot the announcer in the Boise game calling Josh Boyce Joyce Bosh. I had to see it twice to confirm because it was such a huge bungling of his name.

Virginia Frog

F) people who think tcu is in the WAC

G) people who think it was a good idea that tcu "decided"
to join the big12. Like it we could have joined at any time we wanted in the past
H) People that think TCU is really "Christian." Or, is a "Christian" college - fundamentalist protestant and faith-based admissions. (reality is TCU is a SECULAR institution.)

Deep Purple

H) People that think TCU is really "Christian." Or, is a "Christian" college - fundamentalist protestant and faith-based admissions. (reality is TCU is a SECULAR institution.)
TCU is a faith-based institution. It was founded as such. All of its founders were dedicated to the concept of eduction illuminated by Christian ideals. If you don't believe me, next time you're on campus, look at the cornerstone of Reed Hall. It reads:

"Dedicated to the service of Jesus Christ in Christian education. AD 1911."

TCU is not faith-based not in the sense that its mission is to proselytize or indoctrinate on behalf the Christian faith. TCU is faith-based in the sense its values are drawn from Christian values. Many of these values are shared by other faiths, but TCU drew them specifically from the Christian faith.

TCU's Christian heritage is also highly ecumenical. In fact, TCU is the most religiously diverse church-related institution of any university in the Southwest, including SMU. If you look at the history of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), it was born out of that heritage -- to break down walls and divisions between people of faith, and even people of no faith. This is why, in a day when many universities that were originally church-related have long since dissolved their church ties, TCU never has. The university's bylaws still require that a certain percentage of the governing Board be drawn from among the Disciples. That percentage has gone down over the years (today it is 1/6 of the Board), but it still exists.

Having said that, TCU is a university, not a church. This means that while TCU is faith-based, it is not faith-governed, as in the case of a Bible college. It does not impose any particular religious creed, viewpoint, or standard on its faculty, staff, or students. Its Christian heritage is evidenced mainly in the values that animate its educational philosophy, values drawn specifically from the Christian ethic. Yet students are encouraged to pursue their own beliefs and develop their own values.

That's what is meant by TCU being a faith-based institution.

TCU is a faith-based institution. It was founded as such. All of its founders were dedicated to the concept of eduction illuminated by Christian ideals. If you don't believe me, next time you're on campus, look at the cornerstone of Reed Hall. It reads:

TCU is not faith-based not in the sense that its mission is to proselytize or indoctrinate on behalf the Christian faith. TCU is faith-based in the sense its values are drawn from Christian values. Many of these values are shared by other faiths, but TCU drew them specifically from the Christian faith.

TCU's Christian heritage is also highly ecumenical. In fact, TCU is the most religiously diverse church-related institution of any university in the Southwest, including SMU. If you look at the history of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), it was born out of that heritage -- to break down walls and divisions between people of faith, and even people of no faith. This is why, in a day when many universities that were originally church-related have long since dissolved their church ties, TCU never has. The university's bylaws still require that a certain percentage of the governing Board be drawn from among the Disciples. That percentage has gone down over the years (today it is 1/6 of the Board), but it still exists.

Having said that, TCU is a university, not a church. This means that while TCU is faith-based, it is not faith-governed, as in the case of a Bible college. It does not impose any particular religious creed, viewpoint, or standard on its faculty, staff, or students. Its Christian heritage is evidenced mainly in the values that animate its educational philosophy, values drawn specifically from the Christian ethic. Yet students are encouraged to pursue their own beliefs and develop their own values.

TCU is every bit as faith-based as the United States of America is.

Similarities include the country's founding documents and references to a Creator (similar to your cornerstone reference). Other similarities include secularization and deinstitutionalized religion.

In other words, the founders' core beliefs permeate through the fiber of our culture, but they are not omnipresent and overarching.

All that said, his point was that people think TCU is a BIble College, like Oral Roberts. While in Boise, I had two different people ask me if TCU was as strict as BYU. After I explained that it isn't a Bible school, they were dumbfounded.

All things considered, it really is a misnomer when viewed from the lens of "what's in a name?"

purplepreacher

Couldn't have said it better myself Excellent!