• The KillerFrogs

Uninformed Co-worker

tcumaniac

I do not consider TCU a commuter school. According to TCU 46% of students live on campus. I would assume that means people living in school owned residences such as the Greeks, the dorms and those apartments down on Forest Park. Those that live near campus even in the Grand Mark (I think that is what it is called) on Berry do not live on campus but they are not considered commuters. My guess is actual commuters (students from this area that live at home) is probably around 30% or less. Any thoughts?

your co-worker is an absolute idiot. freshmen and sophomores are required to live on campus, which is really rare for most schools. only students that live in the metroplex are allowed to commute (which is a very small number). Unless money is an issue, the vast majority of students from the DFW live on campus. Most upper classmen tend to live in houses or apartments right next to campus, which is no different than other schools.. TCU is no where close to being considered a commuter school.

bronco

From the replies I am getting I would think so of y'all know my co worker. I was a commuter in the 80's but I did not run into many students in the same situation. Now this co worker contends that if you live near campus in an apartment or rental property that those students are considered to live on campus which I find ridiculus. In other words if you live in a house on University north of Cantey you live on campus. Thats just crazy. You are not a commuter but you do not live in University housing.

TCUdirtbag

Yeah, this "suitcase school" stuff is BS, too. Maybe 10-20 years ago, but non-Greek campus life has exploded over the past decade. You can thank (among many other things) athletics, construction, & 2-yr requirement for that. Also, with a private school you're dealing with a higher socio-economic group, and your students go home some of course, but they travel, too (sporting events in Dallas, river in San Marcos, weekend on 6th St, academic and social events, out of town athletics, etc).

HoustonHornedFrog

A Vanderbilt alum told me that 95% of their undergrads lived on campus. If true, that's a real residential university.

From the Vanderbuilt website

Vanderbilt University is a residential campus. The residential experience is understood to be an integral part of a Vanderbilt education.

This commitment to residential education is clearly expressed in the University’s residential requirement:

All unmarried undergraduate students, except those who live with their parents or legal guardians in Davidson County, must live in residence halls on campus during the academic year, May session, and summer sessions. Authorization to live elsewhere is granted at the discretion of the Director of Housing Assignments in special situations or when space is unavailable on campus.

Over 93% of our undergraduate students live in University housing on campus. The remaining 7% live off campus either because they are living with their parents in Davidson County or because we do not have room for them on campus. When we do not have enough room for all students on campus, requests for authorization to live off campus are considered on a seniority basis.

TCU by comparison requires students not living with their parents in Fort Worth to live on campus for their first 2 years. The university might like to require 4 year residency on campus but they don't have the space. Same rule applied when I was in school those many years ago. I think two years is a good compromise.

oldscribe

This person is from Cleveland and went to Cleveland State. Enough said. And he does not consider UTA to be a commuter school so you can see what I am working with.
I recommend changing jobs at your earliest opportunity just to avoid dumbasses like that.

researchfrog

We care because "commuter school" is an insult. I was a four year commuter at TCU because I lived with my mother and had to help support both her and my sister while going to college. I would have done many things to have the residential experience at TCU.

I will admit that when I went to TCU it wasn't unusual for students to move to Hulen after their first semester, even though it wasn't allowed until after freshman year. TCU has done a lot to keep students closer and on campus longer since then.

Dogfrog

I do not consider TCU a commuter school. According to TCU 46% of students live on campus. I would assume that means people living in school owned residences such as the Greeks, the dorms and those apartments down on Forest Park. Those that live near campus even in the Grand Mark (I think that is what it is called) on Berry do not live on campus but they are not considered commuters. My guess is actual commuters (students from this area that live at home) is probably around 30% or less. Any thoughts?

I'd factor this comment into the future credibility of your co-worker.

I would consider UTD and UTA to be commuter schools. They have little or no on campus housing.
You might be surprised how much on campus housing UTA has. They have built several dorm/apartment buildings in the last several years. They also built a new recreation center that most people think is pretty cool.

fanatical frog

I recommend changing jobs at your earliest opportunity just to avoid dumbasses like that.

You've always had a way with words....you should have been a writer
biggrin.gif