• The KillerFrogs

Top 5 Favorite TCU games

OmniscienceFrog

BEST
1) Rose Bowl (Wisky) 2010-11
2) Sun Bowl (USC) 1998
3) Texas Tech (Thanksgiving Friday) 1994 - shared last SWC championship 4-way co-champs (A&M was on PROBATION and could not win the SWC that year)
4) Tie, Rice (@Rice) and UMiami (@TCU) 1977 - busted the Shofner losing streaks away & at-home (TIE)
5) Texas 1992 (National CBS telecast)

WORST
1) Fiesta Bowl (Boise) 2009-10 (coaches: poor play calling)
2) SMU 2005 (post-Okie W @OU) (we'd gone 11-0 that year, otherwise)
3) SMU Losing streak '70s & '80s (13 years, I think)
4) A&M Nov '91 Thursday night Nat'l telecast, "The Hit" - we looked impotent!
5) Tie, San Jose St 1999 -& SouMiss L at Hattiesburg 2003 both ruined 11-0 potential records and BCS bowls for TCU

2000, not 1999.

No excuse for that one. Not the wet field. Not the return of the amputee. Nothing explains that one.

NubomTurk

Tier 1
Counting only games that I attended,

1. Rose Bowl
2. Tech 2006
3. Utah 2009
4. Boise / Fort Worth Bowl - I'm sorry, but that was a great game. Multiple lead changes, both teams giving it all they had. It set the stage for an epic rivalry.
5. Stanford in the hurricane, I forget the year. That's what being a fan is all about. It's too bad I'll have to take it off the list when we beat Bama in the Sugar Bowl in January.

purplepreacher

l. Rose Bowl
2. Bosie, 2011
3. UTah, 2010
4. BYU, 2010
5. Utah, 2011

Honorable mention: Arkansas, 1981, Arkansas, 1984, UT, 1955 (Swink), UT, 1961.
Oops, didn't mean UTah, 2011; meant 2009. Also forgot about that great win over Tech in 1994. That gave old Rice a share of the SWC crown. they deserved it.

Armadillo

1. Rose Bowl 2011

2. Rose Bowl presented by Citi

3. Rose Bowl where we beat Wisconsin

4. Rose Bowl where we ended up #2 afterwards

5. Did I mention the Rose Bowl?

:wacko:

Gunner

After this weekends thriller list you top 5 favorite TCU games of all time.

1. Rose Bowl
2. TCU vs. Boise St. 2011
3. TCU vs. Utah 2009
4. TCU vs. OU 2005
5. TCU vs. BYU 2008

Beating Texas in Austin, 1961 or 1962?
Beat OU in 2005
Beat Wisconsin in the Rose
Beat Boise at Boise, probably the best team in the country at the time(forget politics)

Just saw Georgia, who lost big to Boise, is 30 point favorite to beat Kentucky, and win the East side of the SEC.... Boise was more than big for TCU.........

staypurple12

1. Rose Bowl 2011 - that was one of the best days of my life (actually 2 days)...perfect, perfect, perfect...first trip to California
2. @ Boise St 2011 - so satisfying and to win the way we did
3. Baylor 2007 and 2010 - those were beat downs...not even close especially 2010
4. Fiesta Bowl 2010 - the game hurt but the setting and experience was awesome and there is not a Rose Bowl without the lessons in Glendale...just my opinion
5. Colorado St 2002 - Another impressive performance...Van Pelt did nothing

Honorable Mention - versus UT in 1984 **earliest memory of Frogs watching game with my dad....rainy, cold day, 1996 20-7 versus OU...that was a shocker

BigEasyFrog

To widdle this down to 5 almost seems unfair and it could be ever changing, but here we go. I'm focusing more on games that we were in a hostile environment but either dominated or took away big victories. So with that said...

(1) 2010 @ Utah - #3 TCU 47, #5 Utah 7
(2) 2011 @ Boise State - TCU 36, #5 Boise State 35
(3) 2009 @ BYU - #8 TCU 38, #16 BYU 7
(4) 1999 UTEP - TCU 52, UTEP 24 (Tomlinson's 406 yard rushing game, I was a Freshman then!)
(5) 2000 UTEP - #15 (?) TCU 47, UTEP 14

For whatever reason I was really into #5. UTEP was a suprising 8-2 going into this contest I believe, and we needed to beat them for the conference. I was reading all along how they were going to dominate us at home and shut down Tomlinson, but Tomlinson put up another monster game against them (305 yards this time) and from the 2nd quarter on, we just destroyed them. I don't really get into smack talk or rivalry stuff in general, but for whatever reasons I got really into this game.

Honorable mentions off the top of my head are...

(6) 2010 Wisconsin/Rose Bowl - #3 TCU 21, #5 Wisconsin 19

(7) 2009 Utah - #4 TCU 55, #16 Utah 28...I was considering taking a road trip up for this game, about an 8-hour drive where I am from, but declined. Ah well, was still fun to watch on TV.

(8) 2003 Louisville - #12 TCU 31, #25 Louisville 28...Just a great back-and-forth game.

(9) 2005 @ Oklahoma - TCU 17, #5 Oklahoma 10

(10) 2002 @ Louisville - TCU 45, Louisivlle 31...This one was awesome, and not as close as the final score indicated. Louisville talked so much trash before this game how they would dominate us (was Dave Ragone's final season, he deserved a better fate in this down year for Louisville), and we just destroyed them.

froginmn

Was presented by Vizio...

Stole my thoughts, though.

Having been there and having taken the whole family, it was a fantastic experience.

Having been at the fb the prior year (with my wife, for the first "trip of a lifetime") I also knew there was potential for a buzz killing loss.

Everything went perfectly and there was even drama at the end to add to the euphoria over winning. No game comes real close IMO.

froginmn

Was presented by Vizio...

Stole my thoughts, though.

Having been there and having taken the whole family, it was a fantastic experience.

Having been at the fb the prior year (with my wife, for the first "trip of a lifetime") I also knew there was potential for a buzz killing loss.

Everything went perfectly and there was even drama at the end to add to the euphoria over winning. No game comes real close IMO.

froginmn

Oh, and beating that punk Bielema's team and making him the only human to lose that game as both a player and a coach was nice too...

Fiscuits

1) 1984 Texas Game...we lost, but, it was the first total sell out in forever. I was a lot younger, but this is the first TCU game I remember vividly from beginning to end. Huge Pep Rally the night before, it was the national broadcast, which back then meant we were the only game on....awesome environment.

2) 1984 Arkansas Game that same year...won on a 2 pt. conversion. Again, this was the first year that I remember REALLY getting into TCU football.

3) 1992 Win over Texas - I was on the field for the game...we were not that great. But that game played out of our minds and pulled off a stunner.

4) 1998 Sun Bowl over USC...the beginning of the transformation.

5) 2011 Rose Bowl .... the transformation is complete

Too many honorable mentions to count....Boise 2011, UTAH 2010, UTAH 2009 (*even though we lost this game was as intense as I have ever been into a game), Tech 2006, Oklahoma 2005...

When I was in school, this list would have had two games on it...

pgdaly84

It's so difficult to come up with only 5 favorites, even in my relatively short time around TCU. (Graduated in 2007). My favorite games might not be the most important games. Definitely an important distinction.

#1. Rose Bowl- 2011 (trip of a lifetime. Not sure I could possibly enjoy a victory more than this one, even if we were to win a MNC. There's something for winning the oldest bowl game there is when you're the underdog that nobody gives any credit. Now that we are in the Big 12 we will never truly be looked at as the renegade underdog that is defying the odds. In my opinion, that's the most satisfying win.)

#2. Utah - 2009 (This was easily the best atmosphere I've ever seen in Amon Carter Stadium. Got to the Gameday set at 6 AM and nearly passed out a few times cheering my lungs out during the first half. The crowd's energy was unlike any other home game I've been too, with the exception of the Tech game in 2006. I look forward to several more games like this in the Big 12.)

#3. Boise State - 2011 (With all the BS from the MWC moving the game and the refs blatantly trying to give Boise the win, this was such an amazing win. Great game with LHCGP making an unforgettable call to go for 2. Ending their home winning streak will always be one of my favorites.)

#4. Tech - 2006 (This was the first sellout in over twenty years, and the student section was amazing to be a part of. Holding Tech without a TD was a nice bonus to a great day.)

#5. A tie between:

Southern Mississippi - 2004 (After Southern Miss ruined our BCS bid during my freshmen year of 2003 I wanted us to destroy them, and even the worst team of the GP era was able to do so. The student section was really charged for this one, and it was raining, which always adds a cool element to a game. It was great to get a bit of redemption for the 2003 loss, especially after the embarrassment in Lubbock that year. )

Fiesta Bowl - 2010 (The season leading up to this game was so amazing, and was beyond excited to head out to Phoenix for the game. Had a great trip with some TCU buddies. The result obviously wasn't what we were hoping for, but the Rose Bowl win would not have been quite as sweet if we hadn't lost this hard-fought game. Great memory, loss notwithstanding.)

1. Rose Bowl

2. Sun Bowl

3. Utah 2010- total anhilation

4. Boise- what a game

5. Arkansas 1981- you had to be there, it was pure joy and all those hogheads were stunned.

Other great games Utah '09, LT 406 against UTEP, Tech '06 and Louisville FG miss. There have definitely some very good games over the last few years.