• The KillerFrogs

Texas Monthly story on Gary Patterson

ricksterh

The words from Van Cliburn were perfectly on point. Of course, the other line from Hollandsworth describing Patterson as "about to burst into flames" was also apropos.

I don't know if we all realize just how lucky we are to have had this man chosen to be our Coach. Not only that, but that he has also chosen us, and the City of Fort Worth to be his home.

+ 1 from here - this says it all :biggrin:

Cougar/Frog

Absolutely amazing read. After TCU goes 12-0 once again this season, I guess TCU will start down at 20 or so in the preseason polls in 2012, with concern over the loss of Tank Carder, etc......

Deep Purple

Here's a web extra story with Hollandsworth answering some questions about writing the story:

http://www.texasmont...01/webextra.php

By the way, at his own wedding reception, he sang a song that he dedicated to his wife, Kelsey: “Brown Eyed Girl” by Jim Morrison.
Um, that's Van Morrison, Skip, not Jim Morrison.

Jim was lead singer for the Doors. He died of a drug overdose in 1971. Van Morrrison is the Irish singer-songwriter who recorded not only "Brown-Eyed Girl," but "Moondance," "Tupelo Honey," "Domino," and lots of other hits.

Deep Purple

By the way, at his own wedding reception, he sang a song that he dedicated to his wife, Kelsey: "Brown Eyed Girl" by Jim Morrison

Skip needs a remedial rock history course....and a fact-checker.

Ooops, you beat me to it, wekl. I guess these Morrison guys were a little before Hollandsworth's time.

ShreveFrog

Good story. Great ending. But could've done without the line about how TCU "shocked the world" against a team that should've won by a "blowout." WE WERE FAVORED to win the Rose Bowl.

But appreciate all the insight into the greatest coach in the country! How fortunate we are to have Gary Patterson.

Outstanding article about the best coach in the nation. Giving Jim credit for 'Brown Eyed Girl' was bizarre but he captured the tone and essence of the LHC WE all love.

Frog DJ

Aside from the Van Morrison gaffe this is truly great journalism - a lost art in today's world.

I can remember Old Scribe and some of his contemporaries churning out these kinds of gems 2 and 3 times a week, back in the day - but no longer.

Like others, I am profoundly grateful for CGP and the legacy he's continuing to build at our beloved alma mater.

We are deeply blessed to have this man in charge of TCU football - both on the field and off.

Go Frogs! Do It Now!

Houston Frog

Um, that's Van Morrison, Skip, not Jim Morrison.

Jim was lead singer for the Doors. He died of a drug overdose in 1971. Van Morrrison is the Irish singer-songwriter who recorded not only "Brown-Eyed Girl," but "Moondance," "Tupelo Honey," "Domino," and lots of other hits.

VAN THE MAN!!!

NativeFrog

I wish I could be as passionate about and as good at my career as he is at his. He really is an inspiration.

Everybody should be this passionate and as good at their career. If they're not, they should be replaced by somebody who is. Unfortunately, mediocrity is tolerated in this country. It's why growth is taking place in foreign countries.