• The KillerFrogs

Speculate on Big East Baseball

HToady

Looks like a two horse race this year with UCONN and PITT. We will be one of the front runners definitely.

With 13 teams though, I wonder how the schedule will go? Never the less, it's still better than having too few like in the MWC.

ftwfrog

Looks like a two horse race this year with UCONN and PITT. We will be one of the front runners definitely.

With 13 teams though, I wonder how the schedule will go? Never the less, it's still better than having too few like in the MWC.
Last year, Louisville was pretty salty, and I expect them to have a decent program for the most part. Sadly enough, there aren't any Big East teams in the top 25 per Baseball America, but I still think the league will be perceived better than the MWC.

I still don't understand how SDSU isn't one of the top programs in America?

boonecountyman

Last year, Louisville was pretty salty, and I expect them to have a decent program for the most part. Sadly enough, there aren't any Big East teams in the top 25 per Baseball America, but I still think the league will be perceived better than the MWC.

UL has been ranked most of the season but have not done well lately.Teams are approaching the halfway point in league play.WVU tied with Pitt for 2nd place and have 12 of 15 games left with bottom of the BE.Hear is conference standings as of today.The top 8 teams qualify for posst season play.
http://www.d1baseball.com/conferences/standings_bigeast.htm

Once post season starts any thing can happen.UL and UCONN will be tough.

AEAfrog

Bad coaching. Really nothing else you can point to. They have great facilities, talent, and an interested fanbase. Tony Gwynn just has no business being a manager.

Frogenstein

Bad coaching. Really nothing else you can point to. They have great facilities, talent, and an interested fanbase. Tony Gwynn just has no business being a manager.
Interested fanbase? When the Frogs play in San Diego it looks like there are almost as many TCU fans as Aztec fans. The 2010 MWC Tournament out there drew flys even when SDSU played. Once Stephen S. graduated I think he took all the SDSU baseball 'fans' with him.

AEAfrog

Interested fanbase? When the Frogs play in San Diego it looks like there are almost as many TCU fans as Aztec fans. The 2010 MWC Tournament out there drew flys even when SDSU played. Once Stephen S. graduated I think he took all the SDSU baseball 'fans' with him.

I was speaking in a relative sense to other Mountain West schools. SDSU always seems to be the only other school with fans that care about baseball. I don't have attendance figures to back that up, just the general impression I have gotten through the years.

Houston Frog

I think SDSU is much like the University of Houston.... it's a school in a city with a good talent pool, but it's not exactly an appealing school for prospective students/recruits. I don't think it has great academics and I don't think it has a great party scene, I think it's just kind of the school that a lot of kids go to because they didn't get into where they wanted.

I could be wrong on that though, feel free to correct me if I've been misinformed.

AEAfrog

I think SDSU is much like the University of Houston.... it's a school in a city with a good talent pool, but it's not exactly an appealing school for prospective students/recruits. I don't think it has great academics and I don't think it has a great party scene, I think it's just kind of the school that a lot of kids go to because they didn't get into where they wanted.

I could be wrong on that though, feel free to correct me if I've been misinformed.

Not sure on the academics (usually CSU schools are lower on the food chain than CU schools but I think SDSU may be an exception to that rule), but SDSU is considered to be one of the biggest party schools in the country.

ftwfrog

San Diego State ranks below Tech when it comes to education status. I grew up in Southern California and every idiot who couldn't make it into one of the hundred schools in California went to SDSU. The party scene is why half of those kids fail out; and it's hard to fail out of a joke of a school.

University of San Diego or UC San Diego is where the smart kids go.

HToady

So we're going to talk about SanDiego State baseball instead of Big East baseball......
wacko.gif