• The KillerFrogs

Should "Trash Talking" be considered Unsportsmanlike Conduct?

geno

I've been watching the comments about the brawl between Xavier and Cincinnati at their basketball game last week, and the videos that go with it. According to reports, the "trash talking" between the two teams had accelerated all during the game, and the Cincinnati coach had actually requested that the referees start calling fouls on it. Wonder if there's any way to control this. And where do you draw the line, what IS trash talking, what isn't.

Dtx_Frog_Fan

I'm not a fan of trash talking, but I think a penalty for all but the most flagrant cases would be too subjective to enforce consistentlyand fairly.

frogbyproxy

That game created more flack than any other this year and they are in trouble. :blush:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/december/statement+by+ncaa+president+mark+emmert+on+xaviercincinnati

The incident at the end of the Xavier/Cincinnati basketball game today is deplorable and such behavior has no place in college sports. The respective conferences and both schools are in the process of determining what disciplinary actions should be taken against those involved. However, such behavior impacts the game as a whole far beyond those involved. Sportsmanship is a key tenet at the NCAA and a principle that all involved in intercollegiate athletics are expected to honor. Those involved with that incident today failed to honor themselves, their schools, and college basketball. It cannot be tolerated.

TCUSA

That game created more flack than any other this year and they are in trouble. :blush:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/december/statement+by+ncaa+president+mark+emmert+on+xaviercincinnati

The incident at the end of the Xavier/Cincinnati basketball game today is deplorable and such behavior has no place in college sports. The respective conferences and both schools are in the process of determining what disciplinary actions should be taken against those involved. However, such behavior impacts the game as a whole far beyond those involved. Sportsmanship is a key tenet at the NCAA and a principle that all involved in intercollegiate athletics are expected to honor. Those involved with that incident today failed to honor themselves, their schools, and college basketball. It cannot be tolerated.

Yeah--those players need to be held accountable for their unsportsmanlike conduct. The BCS and most conference commissioners over the last couple of decades--not so much.

Limp Lizard

There is probably a generational difference. I, at aged 64, find much very offensive. However, do the players and students find it offensive or bad sportsmanship? Or rather, does it lead to quick escalation? Some obscene gestures should be kept out for the children in "family friendly" fans, I would think, regardless of generational differences.