• The KillerFrogs

San Diego Union-Tribune: No need for coach to shelter Lindley and his mates

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Lindley_Ryan_action_r620x349.jpg

San Diego Union-Tribune: No need for coach to shelter Lindley and his mates

Written by Nick Canepa

This is a column about Ryan Lindley, but please allow me license to rant for a moment.

Lindley is 22 years old, has been the Aztecs’ starting quarterback for 40 games, will graduate in December with a degree in social science and one day, hopefully following an NFL career, will teach high school. Noble. He’s an adult. Full beard. He can speak for himself.

He did not have his best day two weeks ago in San Diego State’s loss at Michigan. Nor did a lot of Aztecs. Yet head coach Rocky Long put a gag order on his athletes, refusing to allow them to speak to the media. Not a wise move by a wise man.

It may not sound like a big deal, and I expect no one to feel sorry for the media, but we have jobs to do, and that is supplying information to the public, which is difficult if nobody tells us anything. I’m an SDSU alum, and I continue to marvel at a football program that wants to be big time and yet continues to consciously and unconsciously do every small-time thing it can to make sure that doesn’t happen. ...