• The KillerFrogs

Quick Question

jesseboijai

I do not follow college basketball in any way. I am the first to admit that I am completely ignorant on the topic and I was hoping someone could explain this to me.

Why would the BE basketball schools not want TCU? How would that be a negative or how would that affect things? Is it only in terms of strength of schedule?

Thanks in advance. :)

researchfrog

Because a ninth football school and 17th basketball school would give the football schools a majority. I'm not sure that matters much, but the b-ball quality issue may be just a pretense. The real issue is control of the conference.

CDAlexander

Eh its tough to say...

The Big East is to basketball what the SEC is to football, basically. They typically have anywhere from 5-8 teams in the NCAA tournament every year out of the 16 teams composing the basketball conference.

The only reason I would guess that the BE wouldn't want Horned Frog basketball is because they wouldn't want to add another below .500 win-percentage team. Last year there were only 3 below .500 teams in the Big East: Rutgers, Providence, and DePaul. Having only 3 crappy teams out of 16 ain't that bad, and even Rutgers (15-17) did better than TCU (13-19).

HG73

1. Loss of voting control (Nova invite already insures that)
2. Perceived mediocre team (2 good local players and this goes away)
3. Travel expense (although they already go to S. Fla., and increased TV revenue from DFW pays for increased expenses)