• The KillerFrogs

Question...not really TCU or Sports related

Limp Lizard

I live just a few miles south of Alliance Airport, and I notice a lot of military-type aircraft, especially fighters, going in and out of Alliance. What is the story there?

I know, should be on General Forum, but I rarely go there because it tends to be just a lot of political saber-rattling. Sorry.....Not really.

82Frog

Military uses Alliance often. Sometimes it is just more convenient to get in and out of Alliance than it is NASJRB Fort Worth. I'll ask some of my reservist buddies and see if I can get a more accurate answer.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Alliance has a DOD contract for refueling and there's also a proposal to use it for fighter training for the UAE there.

Limp Lizard

Thanks for the replies, guys. Certainly no mistaking a fighter going over my house vs. a commercial or private jet!

Maybe they will use Alliance for refueling and staging for the FW Airshow this weekend, and I could just watch vs. fighting crowds. Or I can just watch the Alliance Air Show in October. When the wind is right the Thunderbirds fly right over my house.

gatorfrog

I knew that military jets flew into and out of Alliance, but it was still weird to see three pilots/aircrew pop into the Alliance Freebirds for a burrito, still in their flight-suits.

Flashbacks to growing up near NAS Jacksonville in Florida.

Frog-in-law1995

I live in that area, too. Dang, is it air show time again already? I can't say that the Blue Angels violate any restrictions on how low aircraft are allowed to fly over residential neighborhoods, but I can tell you that the guy on the left of the diamond formation at last year's show had blue eyes.

Sean

Administrator
Military uses Alliance often. Sometimes it is just more convenient to get in and out of Alliance than it is NASJRB Fort Worth. I'll ask some of my reservist buddies and see if I can get a more accurate answer.

+1

I'm a recreational pilot and Alliance is one of my bases. It's pretty intimidating when a F18 pulls up by my little ole 172.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
This is your answer
Far be it for me to cross (fact) sabers with YA but besides the DOD contract remember that place was built by Ross Perot Jr. I'm sure he made it clear from day 1 to all Tower personnel that any military students or cross-country pilots calling for local clearance to shoot the pattern get the standard answer - YES.

hometown frog

FBO office up there is always full of green suit fixed wingers and helo drivers gassing up or shooting various approaches and touch and gos.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I've been told that military aircraft from bases other than the JRB can get in and out of Alliance more easily due to maintenance crew requirements at the JRB. Not sure exactly what they meant by that, but it came from one of the Viper drivers at the 301st.