• The KillerFrogs

Offensive Line

VA Froggie

How does the offensive line look? It seems to be the big concern, did they do good in the spring practice and show some promise?

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
How does the offensive line look? It seems to be the big concern, did they do good in the spring practice and show some promise?

The tackle spots probably the biggest concerns. Right now I would say it is a big step down from 2010, but that was an exceptional OL.

Keys will be the development of Dunbar and some of the younger players as well as what Jeff Olson can accomplish this summer. The intensity is there so what it looks like today will be a lot different in August. This whole team is intense and workouts, etc are more than commonplace with them. CGP is putting together a fantastic group of kids and really looking forward to seeing them over the next few years. It will be a step back initially in 2011, but if they survive the early part of the year watch out for this group, but man 2012 should be something else no matter what.

2themax

Not an expert, but from what I saw at the spriing game, it was encouraging. They looked big and athletic and that's a plus in my book. Didn't really play together as a unit, but that is pretty much expected at this point. Oline - Dline battled all game long & it was great to watch. CGP & staff will have them ready as usual.

TEUFELI

I personally thought o-line looked pretty bad at purple white. Think LHCGP made comments about this too. But they have time to lift & learn. And I think run blocking is easier than pass blocking. With a first yr starting QB (and our stable of backs)...I would expect us to lean heavy on the run early in 2011, and I think this will give the o-line a chance to gel. Overall, I think we'll be okay up front...but it is definitely worth keeping an eye on.

ricksterh

Not an expert, but from what I saw at the spriing game, it was encouraging. They looked big and athletic and that's a plus in my book. Didn't really play together as a unit, but that is pretty much expected at this point. Oline - Dline battled all game long & it was great to watch. CGP & staff will have them ready as usual.

+1 when you consider our O line was working against the best group of D line and lb's they will see against any team we will play this year they had some good moments in the spring. We have some young guys who are good athletes and will only get better. :biggrin:

I personally thought o-line looked pretty bad at purple white. Think LHCGP made comments about this too. But they have time to lift & learn. And I think run blocking is easier than pass blocking. With a first yr starting QB (and our stable of backs)...I would expect us to lean heavy on the run early in 2011, and I think this will give the o-line a chance to gel. Overall, I think we'll be okay up front...but it is definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Been sayin the OCs gonna make some changes because of who the RBs are and we run more at least to start with until OL catches up on the pass blocking. Be some good games and some not too good games till then. When OL gets it together offense gonna be scary good. Coach knows what he doin.

TCUSA

First game-all about learning against a live defense. Second game all about correcting mistakes and reinforcing good play from the 1st. 9th quarter to make it all work together and have that "AHA!" moment. Then just stand back and watch the fireworks...

oldscribe

First game-all about learning against a live defense. Second game all about correcting mistakes and reinforcing good play from the 1st. 9th quarter to make it all work together and have that "AHA!" moment. Then just stand back and watch the fireworks...
Considering the third opponent, fireworks should be a given.

Gunner

DON'T WORRY ABOUT PASS BLOCKING, IT IS RUN BLOCKING that concerns me. Williamson has always had super pass blockers.

We gotta' get Smith and James some run room. :unsure:

Houston Frog

DON'T WORRY ABOUT PASS BLOCKING, IT IS RUN BLOCKING that concerns me.

I'm in kind of the opposite camp, I think run-blocking is more about the skillsets of the individuals along the line, while passblocking is more about learning how to play together as one cohesive unit.

I don't know much about TCU's blocking schemes in particular, but in general, run blocking is more about each lineman as an individual... you have your assignment, and you block that guy. Pass-blocking is more of a team effort, you all have to learn how to gel together and pick up whatever the defense throws at you.

I think the individuals on TCU's line are fine, we're very talented, but learning how to play together is what worries me.

EDIT: Yes I realize that post was choppy and somewhat repetitive, I wrote it in a couple different sessions while getting interrupted with "work"

Temcat Frog

+1 when you consider our O line was working against the best group of D line and lb's they will see against any team we will play this year they had some good moments in the spring. We have some young guys who are good athletes and will only get better. :biggrin:

Great point Rick. Remember last year's Oline had trouble with our own Dline. Consider the quality of the opposing front. By Baylor time, this Oline will have worked against one of, if not the best Dline in the NCAA. They'll be just fine In September.

JugbandFrog

A young Offensive line and a young QB will lead to a very inconsistent offense this year. No matter how talented you are, it takes time to learn the things experienced players learn in order to excel at their job.