• The KillerFrogs

Neutral Game Site Other than JerryWorld

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
I KNOW we have enjoyed almost a racket in our being able to count three games as "neutral" in the same county as ACS, but would TCU ever consider a neutral site game in San Antonio? I'll wager the Alamo Dome would not charge teams as much as JJ& Co.in Arlington.

Seems we had a strong recruiting presence there a while back, but not so much anymore.Is it worth the slightly extra expense to play one down south? Or, are we essentially ceding this area to other programs?

Now, don't dismiss the idea...Just because most of the board members dwell in the north Texas environs, we Frogs down this way would appreciate some love too from the schedule makers.

Besides, S.A. itself is a great Texas Tourist attraction with Sea World, Fiesta Texas, the River Walk, and true Texans never pass up the chance to take the kids to see the Alamo.

FrogAbroad

If the game were against a "name brand" opponent it sounds like a very good idea. The draw for SFA might not be at all good, but a nationally-known opponent could draw exceptionally well. LSU? Arkansas? Air Force Academy?

PurpleBlood87

If the game were against a "name brand" opponent it sounds like a very good idea. The draw for SFA might not be at all good, but a nationally-known opponent could draw exceptionally well. LSU? Arkansas? Air Force Academy?
Wouldn't one of those teams draw just as well at Jerry World. Sorry but playing a game at the Alamodome is silly. Unless it was A&M and it was A&M's home game. Why give up a home game away from your ticket base?

froginaustin

With the military bases in San Antonio, particularly Air Force bases, military academies draw crowds. A few years ago aTm played Army in the Alamo Dome, and of course there were plenty of Aggies there. There were also plenty of Army fans there.

MoCityFrog

Tech turned down the offers to begin negotiations with TCU to bring the game here in 2011 that would have had a significant payday.

Other than this (2011) season I don't see TCU giving up any more games to play at Jerry World, Alamodome, or Reliant unless it is already a road game for the Frogs. Too much money being spent on and eventually in the new ACS to not play games against the big teams there.

An-Cap Frog

Back before TCU was on tv every week I would say sure why not, but now there is really no reason to...you play at JW to sell more tickets and bring in a national name on national tv in a quasi-home game...everything else is just another road game...

AEAfrog

Didn't Notre Dame schedule a game against some team in the Alamodome at some point? I wouldn't mind that match up.

2314@work

Contributor
I KNOW we have enjoyed almost a racket in our being able to count three games as "neutral" in the same county as ACS, but would TCU ever consider a neutral site game in San Antonio? I'll wager the Alamo Dome would not charge teams as much as JJ& Co.in Arlington.

Seems we had a strong recruiting presence there a while back, but not so much anymore.Is it worth the slightly extra expense to play one down south? Or, are we essentially ceding this area to other programs?

Now, don't dismiss the idea...Just because most of the board members dwell in the north Texas environs, we Frogs down this way would appreciate some love too from the schedule makers.

Besides, S.A. itself is a great Texas Tourist attraction with Sea World, Fiesta Texas, the River Walk, and true Texans never pass up the chance to take the kids to see the Alamo.
Great idea. Would be like a bowl game in the middle of the season.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Didn't Notre Dame schedule a game against some team in the Alamodome at some point? I wouldn't mind that match up.

Actually, that's who I had in mind...particularly since they already showed a willingness to play there.

The idea was NEVER to swap a home game for this, but, like OSU, to deflect an away game to a good locale to boost our recruiting, while picking the foremost visited city for tourism in the state.

If the Golden Domers don't bite, then renewing a game with AFA there would produce a good house given the USAF presence at Lackland, Brooks, the tens of thousands of retirees, etc...even a fair number of ground pounders at Ft. Sam might drop by to see us stomp their rival Blue Suiters.

As to the Alamo Dome being a "dump", it certainly wasn't when I attended several events there. Admittedly, that was a while back. I asked my kids who were there only last month, and they flatly deny it deserves that term. True, it's no Jerry World, but neither is the old ACS, Reliant Stadium, or where we played the Rose and Fiesta Bowls. As a valid reason to completely reject playing there, to me,that one comes up way short.

Limp Lizard

Actually, I would love to go to a daytime game at the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair, without having to see UT/OU or Prairie View play. To me that is a big factor separating the Red River Rivalry from the other "neutral" games around the country. Go to the State Fair in the morning, then to the game, them finish the evening with more State Fair. However, I see no reason to play there if it is not during the Fair. I could see that for an occasional TCU game.