• The KillerFrogs

Matt Purke

SnoopFrogs11

Purke still has decent numbers even with his "deal arm condition" right now. Maybe we should just rest him and give him more time between starts to build up his arm strength.

masterfrog

I wonder if we will see Purke stay in school for another year. I have seen several recent reports that think that Utah's C.J. Cron will be the first player selected from the MWC. I don't think he has much chance to go any earlier than the 20 range in the first round, so Purke's draft status has been slipping.

Big Frog II

I wonder if we will see Purke stay in school for another year. I have seen several recent reports that think that Utah's C.J. Cron will be the first player selected from the MWC. I don't think he has much chance to go any earlier than the 20 range in the first round, so Purke's draft status has been slipping.
I wonder if we will see two Crons go in the 1st round. The one at Utah and his brother in high school.

Pharm Frog

I completely understand that it sounds intuitive to suggest that rest is the remedy for dead arm. I just can't find much empirical support for that position. The article that I posted earlier in this thread from MLB suggests that most believe that it is important and necessary to "work through it." A more systematic search for information on my part (including two conversations with sports medicine physicians that I know with specialized knowledge of rotator cuff and soft-tissue issues associated with golf and baseball injury) suggested similarly...with one big caveat: that there be no structural damage (revealed by physical examination and MRI as opposed to x-ray). There is room for divergent views on the issue and I have found some but the preponderance of the evidence that I've come across suggests that rest is not the best option (and may actually stymie progress). I trust that since "everybody and their mother" has been enlisted in the effort to diagnose the issue, that no evidence of physical damage has been discovered (also a direct contention from CJS). In my line of work, I defer to board certified physicians with specialized knowledge of the offending condition.

I am not a medical doctor nor do I play one on TV and I do not stay at Holiday Inn Express (unless I'm unfortunate enough to be traveling in Roswell NM in which case I do my best to reach Midland or Lubbock). And, I can't believe that I just said that I would purposely attempt to stay the night in Lubbock.

Pharm Frog

I happened to be in Lubbock this past weekend... pretty terrible experience. That place is a piece of [Craig James].

Mrs. Pharm is from Lamesa which is about 60 miles south of hell. I used to live and teach in Lubbock (at TTU). Nice people on the South Plains because you sure don't want to be living out there and lonely.

tetonfrog

The Yankees' Phil Hughes has a dead arm. They put him on the 15-day DL. I'm sure he has many doctors through the Yankees and they still had a hard explaining what was wrong with him. I guess a dead arm means your breaking balls go flat and your fastball drops 5 to 10 mpn. That definitely hurt Hughes.

I feel for Purke. I hope he gets better and comes back strong. I'm curious what the comparison between Hughes' and Purke's rehab approach to a dead arm. I wonder which one will be better long-term.

cdsfrog

At this point with all the arm problems, may make sense to try to find the solution and rest up. Stay on next year and have a good full season. Could easily restore his draft status, but another season like this could really hurt him as durability and stamina for pitchers is a big concern.

Pharm Frog

The Yankees' Phil Hughes has a dead arm. They put him on the 15-day DL. I'm sure he has many doctors through the Yankees and they still had a hard explaining what was wrong with him. I guess a dead arm means your breaking balls go flat and your fastball drops 5 to 10 mpn. That definitely hurt Hughes.

I feel for Purke. I hope he gets better and comes back strong. I'm curious what the comparison between Hughes' and Purke's rehab approach to a dead arm. I wonder which one will be better long-term.

Teton... I'm right there with you on the Hughes situation. Perhaps you've read all the controversy in the NY media about the approach the Yankees have decided to take. Some favoring rest and fewer innings...others blaming a culture of "babying" pitchers and saying he shouldn't go on the DL but head down to AAA and throw more to strengthen up. I do think it's a bit strange though that the Yanks have no plans to even look at an MRI on what I suppose might be a multi-million dollar asset.

westtexfrog

Mrs. Pharm is from Lamesa which is about 60 miles south of hell. I used to live and teach in Lubbock (at TTU). Nice people on the South Plains because you sure don't want to be living out there and lonely.

People are very nice on the South Plains and Lamesa is a good place. The folks out there have one fault, most of them are Tech fans. Trivia - The largest ski (snow) equipment retailer in the country used to be South Plains Sporting Goods located in Lamesa, Texas on the Seminole highway.

Pharm Frog

People are very nice on the South Plains and Lamesa is a good place. The folks out there have one fault, most of them are Tech fans. Trivia - The largest ski (snow) equipment retailer in the country used to be South Plains Sporting Goods located in Lamesa, Texas on the Seminole highway.

Lamesa is a "good place" = No. Good people = Yes. Good place = No. And this is one case when I don't think this is actually an opinion as most current residents that I know concur. More of an indisputable fact among the sighted. :tongue: And, I had the opportunity to visit SPSG's several times before they closed. I do like the SkyVue Drive-In double features and snack bar, and they've built a really nice baseball field on the north side. About the only green patch around there after the cotton gets stripped.

Sangria Wine

Not a horrible idea. The only problem I'd have with it is you would then either have to bring Purke back on 4 days rest to throw Sunday or you would have to skip him on two conference weekends in a row. Neither option is that appealing to me.

Frogdaddy, anybody out there think of Purke as a closer next level?

Young and Horned

I highly doubt that Purke is left on the board by the 20s. He may not be Top 10 (which I still think he is), but he will go before the 20s.

I would just rather him be healthy at the end of the year than right now, but if it is suggested to have them work through it, then he should start. Not like he has pitched bad.

FROGDADDY

At this point with all the arm problems, may make sense to try to find the solution and rest up. Stay on next year and have a good full season. Could easily restore his draft status, but another season like this could really hurt him as durability and stamina for pitchers is a big concern.

If they slot the bonuses for next year's draft, which has been rumored lately, then coming back next year as opposed to taking money this year could be costly.

halfwaytoheaven

According to the radio guys this weekend...Purke's stats this year are actually better than they were at this time last year.

Except for his win-loss record.

Frogdaddy, anybody out there think of Purke as a closer next level?

I'm starting to think of him as a closer at this level. He can throw pretty hard for two or three innings, and then his velocity drops. Sounds like closer material.