• The KillerFrogs

Joe Pa Blindsided in Practice Today

Doesn't look like he was hurt that bad. Walked off the field -- hairline fracture to pelvic bone... Not that, that would feel great when you're 84.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6844675/joe-paterno-shoulder-hip-injured-sideline-collision-penn-state-nittany-lions-practice

InnerloopFrog

Doesn't look like he was hurt that bad. Walked off the field -- hairline fracture to pelvic bone... Not that, that would feel great when you're 84.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6844675/joe-paterno-shoulder-hip-injured-sideline-collision-penn-state-nittany-lions-practice

A hairline fracture of the pelvis can be one of the worse you can have. It generally isn't fixed surgically like a more complete hip fracture. The pelvis is heavily innervated and virtually every motion one makes creates a torsion on the pelvic structure causing micro shifts and thus significant pain making it one of the hardest and most painful types of fractures to rehab with. Many elderly actually decompensate more from that kind of fracture due to the lack of activity limited by the pain. Its just hard to sedate enough to over come that type of pain.

Yes it is generally stable to weight bear but the pain issue is amazing and limits the ability/willingness to get up and about as I am told.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Years ago he was asked why he didn't retire. His reply was that he didn't want to leave the profession to the likes of Danny Ford and Jackie Sherill. Classic. I've admired him every since.

roddog

Banned
Years ago he was asked why he didn't retire. His reply was that he didn't want to leave the profession to the likes of Danny Ford and Jackie Sherill. Classic. I've admired him every since.

that was years ago, it was funny back then, now he is a fossil, he needs to hang it up and do whats best for the program

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
that was years ago, it was funny back then, now he is a fossil, he needs to hang it up and do whats best for the program
My dad is 84 and in great shape. He works out 6 days a week and is mentally very sharp, way beyond his peers. Yet there is no way he could do the job he did at 65 anywhere like he did then. Joe can't get out of the way anymore. He has earned the right to make his own decision, about leaving but he is not making the best one for the institution. I guess he has decided to die (or be killed) in office.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
[quote nam e='roddog' timestamp='1312934039' post='887779']
[/quote]

I didn't intimate that this was humourous, nor did Paterno. It had to do with his disgust for cheaters and his affinity for integrity. I can see how that distinction would escape you. As far as whether he stays or goes...that's between JoPa and PSU. Since they signed him to a multi-year contract extension, I'd say both of the significant parties are satisfied with the job he is doing and his place in the university. More power to him and I wish there were more leaders with his grit and high standards.

jack the frog

My dad is 84 and in great shape. He works out 6 days a week and is mentally very sharp, way beyond his peers. Yet there is no way he could do the job he did at 65 anywhere like he did then. Joe can't get out of the way anymore. He has earned the right to make his own decision, about leaving but he is not making the best one for the institution. I guess he has decided to die (or be killed) in office.

Same situation for me. My dad is near 80 and in excellent condition with exercise daily but the bottom line is he is fragile now. I would hate to see something really bad happen to Joe Pa on the sideline. I doubt he could read and react to a hot football thrown out of bounds these days.