• The KillerFrogs

How many steps back

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Since this is a topic for sheer speculation, I'll play along. Two keys are losing a record setting four year starter at the most critical position imaginable, and replacing three starters on the OL.

Realism prompts me to say that these alone may account for two losses this year...BSU and a possible surprise.
in conference other loss.

We replaced seven starters on D and did quite well, thank you. So, I'm counting on that side of the ball to keep us in every game all year long.

Gary Patterson has set the bar so high, that four losses seems excessive -- even in a down year. That's pretty phenominal, when you compare the 1960-1997 era us older fans endured. We'd have killed for eight wins in those days. Well, GP has no one to blame but himself that four losses would be a worse case scenario around here.

We could surprise folks if the QB position gels rapidly, if team leadership evolves as expected, if Tank stays around for his senior year, and if we get no unpleasant surprises such as the Vess suspension, The TB implosion, etc. My Fellow Frog Faithful, that's a heap of 'ifs' that have to all fall into place to have a 12-0 repeat season. Only the fact that GP has built a program gives me hope that we could pull such a feat off. Make no mistake, GP will have to do some all-time serious coaching to pull of the hat trick in 2011. I'd like to cut him just a little slack this upcoming year, and expect something more reasonable...10-2.

gdu

All you old farts would rather lower our expectations rather than risk being disappointed. I understand how difficult it is to replace as many starters as we lost... especially having to replace andy... but guys, we're at a different point than we were when andy and Co were freshmen... we're replacing our stars with potentially even better stars... Have faith in Coach P and the coaching staff... I expect nothing but wins until we face boise at the end of the year when we play for not only the MWC championship, but for a birth into the NCG.

I think winning a national championship would be even more special if we do it from a Non AQ conference, and next year is our last year to be able to do that.

Man up and have some faith in the Frogs... No i'm not an idiot freshmen that is blind to reality, i'm just optimistic and confident in Legendary Coach Gary Patterson.

I won't be shocked if we lose a game or two, but I sure as hell ain't expecting us to lose any.

GO FROGS... Let's do 13-0 two years in a row
Texas and Florida. It is hard to stay at the top after replacing that many guys and a QB. There isn't more than 1 (if that) game that I am expecting us to lose, but history shows going undefeated next year is highly improbable.

LVfrog

I don't expect to lose any games next year, but if we do then we do. This team is at a much different level than it was 4-5 years ago.

If you guys are worried about Baylor and SMU then you really are worry worts. We are more talented and completely better coached than either team and will beat them both. The games to worry about is the ones we don't know about, maybe ESPN will set us up a game against a team that's entirely capable of beating us. The schedule, so far, isn't so tough that we can't overcome it and finish unbeaten.

I don't like disappointment as much as anyone but that doesn't mean I'm going to lower my expectations.

GO FROGS

JugbandFrog

The schedule worked against TCU in 2007. The AF game in particular, but also the Wyoming game, IIRC. I think they had a bye the week before.
People do not factor in the impact the whole Blake situation had on the team. His meltdown (and I am not blaming him for his meltdown) had to have had an impact. Then we were also without Brown for the Texas game. Do we not forget how bad our running back situation was for that game? We had a lot of injuries at that position.

Young QB + high expectations + distraction early on in the season = a tough season.

We still made a bowl and we were competitive in every game. Texas ran up the score on a very tired defense. It was hot as cojones that day and the offense did zilch in the 2nd half.