• The KillerFrogs

Good Riddance to the MWC

macaroni

OTOH, why give the MWC teams any more reason to dislike TCU. They are already tired of TCU beating them. Do you think they'll like AQ TCU even more with fans whining about the MWC?

Apparently they really wanted TCU to dislike them. I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.

TCUSA

I never mentioned ethics one way or the other.

Also, this has nothing to do with what a OOC opponent does. The only linkage is in your mind. Just because you want what you want doesn't mean someone else has to provide it. They didn't kick us out of the conference, they just set it up for the benefit of the people who are staying in the club.

TCU football rode this conference all the way to a non-AQ conference. I see no reason to be bitter. And I will tell you that the people in this conference were good people to compete against.

And that's where I differ from most on this board--I think TCU would have ridden ANY conference to AQ status--and we could have done it with people who hadn't screwed us over.

Oh-and left our money with people who deserved it a lot more than these thugs.

Scott

"KillerFrogs.com....your source for TCU SPORTS"
I think the MWC was great and I'm sorry to see that it didn't work out as an AQ conference. The other MWC schools are all great institutions and their fans and alumni are good people.

TCU really benefited from the MWC and I think TCU alumni and fans should be grateful for the total experience of the MWC era. They have to protect themselves just like TCU had to take an AQ berth. Can't blame them for giving Boise a home game.

+10

curt3301

I was never a big fan of the MWC either. I thought it was crazy that our nearest home game was more than 500 miles away from here. I know its the same in the Big East but have AQ status makes it a little more worth it, not to mention that now we get to fly into airports that are bigger than my house. Even tho we made the best of being in the MWC im glad we are moving on. It was fun to fight the little guy fight but the rest of the conference was holding us back. Im not surprised they are screwing us and making it tough for us to win the conf championship as we exit. Hopefully it will backfire in the MWC officials faces and we the conf championship anyway. Although winning at SDSU,AF,and now boise will not be easy.

I don't think anyone's suggesting otherwise. I think people are just acknowledging that it was a dick move and are entitled to be upset that it was a dick move.

That's right. I think we recognize that we lost this battle, but have won the war, so to speak. But that doesn't mean we can't kvetch about losing the battle. We like to go undefeated!

pcf

Of course, but that is as lame an argument as when people say "doesn't Congress have anything more important to do than worry about steroids in sports?" Well, you of course that is true, but it is not like we are only capable of dealing with one thing at a time. That is why there is an entire forum and not just a single thread.

In the overall scheme of things, this one doesn't rank that high on the list of evil to me.

Obviously, we want them here in the Carter for all the stated reasons, but I would think once you lose that vote that you put on a brave face.

Even if you express disappointment with the vote, you don't have to totally rip the whole conference. Who knows how handling things with grace now may help at bowl time?

YA

In the overall scheme of things, this one doesn't rank that high on the list of evil to me.

Obviously, we want them here in the Carter for all the stated reasons, but I would think once you lose that vote that you put on a brave face.

Even if you express disappointment with the vote, you don't have to totally rip the whole conference. Who knows how handling things with grace now may help at bowl time?
That's right--we need to take it like men and move on. We showed a lot of grace in the last two months. No need to change that now by the whining and displaying non-TCU behavior like little kids that had the ball taking away from us.

pcf

How much you want to bet we get all three home games on Thursday night, immediately after a late Saturday west coast road game?

I don't think they want to beat TCU down too badly or it hurts BSU's ability to claim an impressive victory. IOW, I think there's a chance they set it up with hopes for a showdown in Idaho.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
I don't think they actually did their bell cow a favor. Boise has the national reputation (fair or unfair) of a team that plays easy competition to get to the top while ducking harder games with excuses. Now it looks like they felt the need to throw a temper tantrum to get every possible advantage slanted their way in conference play.

And I think we start down a huge slippery slope when we think it is o.k. for ANY conference to "take care" of one team over another, be it Texas or BYU or Oregon or Boise.

Agree, FF. I had felt we and the version of the MWC we joined, were in a win/win mode. I liked the venues, the schools (esp AFA and the Utes) and thought there was mutual benefit of our joining. Hell, we even began building rivalries with the two Utah schools. Had BYU stayed, with BSU replacing Utah, I even might have said to decline the BE invite; let's stay and take our AQ chances...mostly out of loyalty. Bad mouthing the MWC members now, to me, looks petty, arrogant, and two-faced (at least a little bit). It makes us look like we're taking on the very AQ airs we formerly lambasted.

Also, I had really felt empathy for BSU when the reason they joined the MWC was seriously diluted, and then how far down the bowl pecking order their one loss impacted them. My Fellow Frogs, that could have easily been us, you know. Now BSU knew when they accepted, that UU was gone. But then BYU bailed in a snit, and next we left for the same reason UU did -- all that made the remaining MWC just a glorified WAC. Having got the short end of the stick for so long at TCU, I can easily see that there was an overall sense of BSU's being in an inequitable position, and conversely, I can see the new MWC wanting to do something positive for them. I get that sentiment.

Had the MWC done so earlier, and before the TT withdrawal left in such a bind, I'd might even have said that I had no real problem. But, FF put it into focus: that they knew they were simultaneously putting us in a real scheduling bind by doing this WHEN they did. And furthermore, no mater when they did it, putting favoritism out there as a conference policy is a bad precedent indeed. Lots of conference members chided BYU for their seeming sense of entitlement...wonder how their presidents voted on this issue. Two-faced? Maybe so.

Lastly, the one thing you don't want to give CGP is a bona fide reason to play your team with a chip on his shoulder. I'd have thought the entire MWC would have know that after six years. How can BSU asume their customary role and feel like the slighted party in this whole deal? This manuevering takes a lot of the moral ground away from them. If they were as savvy as I had thought, they'd refuse this offer of favoritism.

Are these Boise guys, like their Bronco mascot, true icons of the independent Western spirit... or just a bunch of donkeys looking for a handout?

TCUSA

I'll tell you what I think--I don't think we ought to raise a finger to help make the MWC an AQ conference. Let'em rot.

On second thought, maybe we should raise a finger when they need votes for AQ status--our middle one.

pcf

I'll tell you what I think--I don't think we ought to raise a finger to help make the MWC an AQ conference. Let'em rot.

On second thought, maybe we should raise a finger when they need votes for AQ status--our middle one.

That's a true touch of class. Are you going to moon them before or after?

OmniscienceFrog

Man, you are just lovin' this aren't you? You posted on this forum maybe one or twice every three months for the past five years, but now that you think you've got something to really dog the MWC over, you're here every day now.

You can think whatever you want to think, but TCU is MUCH better off for having been in the MWC for seven years than they would have been staying in C-DOA this whole time.

HG73

Our administration will take this and be classy about it. Remember, we are leaving their conference, this is our lame duck season, the MWC has been very good for us, and our stadium has a reduced capacity this year. MWC wants to showcase their new member Boise State. Also, the MWC has just taken a ferocious kick in the nuts with the loss of its three best football programs. They need a little help. Just think about next year, membership in an AQ conference, more $$, much better bowls, eastern press, great basketball and a brand new state of the art stadium. No point in hurting the MWC, with our conference membership history we need all the firends we can get and who knows, we may need them again in the future.

stevenewilson

Good grief, pcf. The ethics behind what we did to leave the MWC are not in question. We did it honorably.

What they are doing is not honorable, especially considering the quandary the Tech bailout presents. And they made the decision fully knowing what Tech did.

Additionally, and most importantly, they are actually meddling with the competitive aspect of the game on this one and are willfully trying to give one school an advantage over another on the playing field.

You are correct and more importantly, they didn't treat Utah or BYU this way. What the MWC has done is highly unethical.