• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Women's Tennis Takes Down UTA 6-1

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

GoFrogs: TCU Takes Down UTA 6-1

FORT WORTH – The TCU women's tennis team defeated the UTA Mavericks on Wednesday, Feb. 21 at Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center.

TCU clinched the doubles point with two consecutive wins on courts one and two, before winning five of the six singles matches, finishing the day 6-1.

"Really proud of our girls tonight," said coach Lee Taylor Walker. "I thought we looked really solid in singles tonight. UTA is a great team who's always up for winning their conference and they have a very old and mature team with a lot of experience. I certainly look for them to compete for their conference championship and go to NCAA's, so it's nice to get that win. Coach Benitez's has always done a great job with this team. It was pretty windy tonight and I thought our girls did a great job at staying positive and focused to win the ugly points, really happy for them. It was evident for Isa that a lot of the things she's been working on showed up tonight. We are looking forward to this weekend at LSU and excited to get the season rolling. I think we're in a great spot and appreciate everyone that came out tonight and watched us, go frogs."

THE RUNDOWN
In doubles, the duo of Jade Otway and Isabel Pascual won on court two 6-4 to give TCU their first doubles point against Bruna Casasampere and Fransisca Vergara. Chiho Mushika and Yu-Chin Tsai claimed the doubles point for the Horned Frogs, winning 7-0 in the tiebreaker to win 7-6 against Mariana Manyoma-Velasquez and Tara Gorinsek.

In singles, the Frogs won, Martins was the first to finish on court five, winning in straight sets against Francisca Vergara (6-0, 6-1). Chiho Mushika also finished up quickly, winning 6-3, 6-2, to remain undefeated on the season in singles.

Tsai won in straight sets to defeat Ana Paula-Jimenez 6-0, 6-4 and clinched the match for the Frogs. Isabel Pascual also won in straight sets 6-2, 6-4 against Tara Gorinsek, putting her at 3-2 on the first court. Otway ended the night for the Frogs, winning 6-4, 6-4 in straight sets against Sarina Reinersten to remain undefeated on the season.

RESULTS
Doubles Results:
1. Chiho Mushika / Yu-Chin Tsai (TCU) def. Mariana Manyoma-Velasquez / Tara Gorinsek (UTA): 7-6 (7-0)
2. Jade Otway / Isabel Pascual (TCU) def. Bruna Casasampere / Francisca Vergara (UTA): 6-4
3. Helena Narmont / Destinee Martins (TCU) vs. Ana Paula-Jimenez / Sarina Reinersten (UTA): UF
Singles Results:
1. Isabel Pascual (TCU) def. Tara Gorinsek (UTA): 6-2, 6-4
2. Jade Otway (TCU) def. Sarina Reinersten (UTA): 6-4, 6-4
3. Yu-Chin Tsai (TCU) def. Ana Paula-Jimenez (UTA): 6-0, 6-4
4. Mariana Manyoma-Velasquez (UTA) def. Helena Narmont (TCU): 3-6, 6-0, 10-8
5. Destinee Martins (TCU) def. Francisca Vergara (UTA): 6-0, 6-1
6. Chiho Mushika (TCU) def. Bruna Casasampere (UTA): 6-3, 6-2

UP NEXT
The Horned Frogs will next play at LSU on Sunday, February 25. First serve is 12:00 PM.

FOLLOW THE FROGS
For more information on TCU Women's Tennis, visit gofrogs.com and follow the team on social media: @TCUWomensTennis on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

Latest posts