• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU's Patterson says BCS proof is still on the field

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: TCU's Patterson says BCS proof is still on the field

By Stefan Stevenson
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

TCU is ranked No. 5 in the initial 2010 Bowl Championship Series standings, up three spots from last year's first unveiling.

The Horned Frogs (7-0, 3-0 in the Mountain West) were skipped over for the top spot, along with No. 2 Oregon and No. 3 Boise State, by Oklahoma, which was ranked No. 6 last week in The Associated Press Top 25 and the coaches' poll.

The Sooners (6-0, 2-0 in the Big 12) defeated Iowa State 52-0 Saturday and moved to No. 3 in both the AP and the coaches' poll. But the Sooners received a boost from the six computer rankings, which combined make up a third of the BCS standings formula. Oklahoma tops the computer rankings, followed by LSU, Auburn and Michigan State.

"I understand that the announcement of the poll makes for good conversation among media and fans, but two games into our conference season, it's too early for us to give it any attention," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said. ...

Frog DJ

As the clock wound down in Provo last year, I remember yelling, "We finally figured out a way to win in Utah." (Yes, I realize we won in 2005, too - it's just that it had been so long since that victory over BYU.)

The last line of this story says it all, however: "TCU has never won in Salt Lake City."

Winning in Rice-Eccles will be a far more formidable task than winning in LaVell Edwards.

Go Frogs!

SnoSki

As the clock wound down in Provo last year, I remember yelling, "We finally figured out a way to win in Utah." (Yes, I realize we won in 2005, too - it's just that it had been so long since that victory over BYU.)

The last line of this story says it all, however: "TCU has never won in Salt Lake City."

Winning in Rice-Eccles will be a far more formidable task than winning in LaVell Edwards.

Go Frogs!

LaVell Edwards was pretty darn loud last year. Their stands are built on a thin metal foundation, so everyone jumps and it's like being surrounded by drums. Luckily for us the game at RES doesn't take place at night. It's an afternoon game just like last year in Provo. It'll be tough, and I honestly think the mental side will be the toughest aspect for us. As long as the weather holds and we don't make mistakes, we should have a pretty good chance of winning. The stats and comparable results thus far are on our side.

Boise State was hoping to have a chance to prove itself again in November against WAC foe Nevada, which had cracked the top 20 for the first time in decades last week. But Nevada lost at Hawaii late Saturday night and dropped out of the Top 25, likely for good, in Sunday's new polls.

Nevada will make it back into the top 25 by the time they play Boise if they win the rest of their games until that point. Need them to lose to Fresno.

Hawaii (5-2) also could be ranked with wins the next two games when they play boise. Would be nice for them to lose at Utah St.